Mustang Evolution Forum banner

GT40 intake on 95gt???

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Im looking to get a new intake manifold and im set on a gt40, but i dont know what to buy exactly, theres a bunch on ebay that say EGR ready and all this ****
idk what to think. never been so lost. I am sticking with egr system im looking for a direct bolt on to a 95gt, can u guys provide a link to something, will i need a elbow adapter or something aswell

#2 · (Edited)
EGR is internal for some GT40 intakes and external on some others. You do not have to worry about this AT ALL because you have a 94/95 car which uses an external EGR. Any GT40 intake will work. My advice is to not pay more than $250 for a complete Explorer GT40 intake and you can often get them for less than that. You will need an elbow adapter for the Explorer intake and a 94/95 car. Do not get the Pro Products one, get Trick Flow.

There are a TON of write ups on installing a GT40 Explorer intake on your Mustang, its a direct bolt on, just google it.

Edit: Also, if you see ads on ebay or whatever that the non EGR intakes add more horsepower than the EGR ones... that person is flat out lying or is an idiot or both. They all make the same power from the tubular aftermarket GT40 intakes to the real OEM ones to the Chinese FRPP ones to the OEM Explorer ones. They flow 200cfm stock on the lower and 250 on the upper. If you ever upgrade the heads (you should because your stock heads are terribad), you can have the lower ported out to flow 250 cfm for pretty cheap, no need to upgrade.

#4 ·
so I bought a GT40 intake (not tubular or cobra) what gaskets will I need for the install I cant seem to find the right ones searching through forums and google. and will my stock bolts work?

#5 ·
Stock bolts will work. Stock gaskets will work, you need the gt40 style lower to upper gasket though, that's available at any autozone or wherever.

Make sure to put a light coat of RTV around the coolant ports and also do not use the included endgaskets for the lower intake. I always make them out of "The Right Stuff" gasket maker. Seals better and no leaks ever.

#6 ·
swap done

OK so I did the swap and something isn't running right, everything is hooked up, I broke some hoses on the tear down and replaced them but I am not sure if I put it back in the right order. I am lost on the vaccum line placement and diagrams don't help. The distributor was off and so I tinkered with it and it was a little better but it doesn't have full power yet. Any suggestions on whats wrong? Maybe MAF? or TPS sensor Ill go have the computer checked on monday for free at a local shop but I want to avoid taking it to a shop to have it fixed. Thanks

to be clear mods just installed are: GT40 upper and lower with 24lb injectors and 24lb maf.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Agree, you are missing a vac line somewhere or you are 180 out on the dizzy or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.