1995 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Region: California
1995 5.0

Looking for help.its a 95 5.0 GT it sputters and back fired at the throttle body. I can get it to istart and idle if I disconnect the air intake hose. But when I put it in drive I loose all power when I press on the accelerator. I read in the forums that some one replaced the PCM and it correct the problem it didn't any ideas???

FrsHrbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
Disconnect the wiring harness from the MAF sensor and see if it runs without removing the hose.If it does,follow the trouble shooting steps in the 1st link below.When you disconnect the MAF sensor,the system goes in FMEM(failure mode effect strategy)mode,aka limp-in mode.Fixed values are then used so the engine will continue to run.Make sure the air filter isn't excessively dirty,which will impede airflow to the engine.If the MAF sensor or its circuit is seen to be the cause for the problem,try cleaning it with MAF cleaner or electrical cleaner and do the trouble shooting procedures.Its also a good idea to run a koeo/koer and cylinder balance test to see if any codes are present.Dont use a scanner,follow the steps in the 2nd link below.If you try running the koeo/koer tests and the codes won't flash on the check engine light,use the alternate connection.The alternate connection point is a jumper wire between the STI terminal and the neg battery post.Try to run the test again with this hookup.Another thing to keep in mind is the check engine light doesn't have to be on in order for codes to be present,so run the tests even if you haven't seen the check engine light come on.The cylinder balance test can pinpoint a weak or non contributing cylinder due to a suspect injector,ignition part or mechanical issue.Vacuum tests also help.If you wanna remove the ecm and check the board for problems,the last link will show you what to look for.The ecm usually goes bad from leaking capacitors or the signal return line gets blown on the board.The link shows the repairs with detailed pictures.I would also try removing your spout plug on the tfi module wiring harness to see if the problems disappear.

(1st link)
(2nd link)
Click image for larger version

Name:	HowToReadVacuum.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	515.5 KB
ID:	180381

D.S.S. 331 10.5:1
Trick Flow Top End
XE276HR 0.544/0.544
80mm maf/70mm tb
1 5/8" Longtubes
Cat Hpipe/2 Chamber FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
Region: California
Thank you WBROCKSTAR I will run test and keep you posted. I appreciate your response.
FrsHrbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT