Introduction and Greetings from Downunder - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #1

Region: Other
Introduction and Greetings from Downunder

I have just purchased a 1994 GT Convertible and am sorry if this has been asked before but, is there a source for instruction on adjusting the convertible top? Both sides on mine sag enough so as to prevent the door glass fron seating properly against the rubbers in the top and the rubber seals on the rear quarter windows. Also the header bow does not come fully forward on the drivers side. I suspect these are going to give me leaking problems

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered to a New Zealand Mustang newbie
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Welcome to the site. I actually visited the Northern Island of New Zealand way back in the late 90s, my sister went to both islands. Both of us agree that your country is just GORGEOUS and the people were very nice everywhere we went. Some of the people I've worked with do a month every year there too for polar runs down to Antarctica and they all love it too.

Anyway, the tops on the mid 90s cars very often need replacing at this age. Yours might not but it might... good news is that there are plenty of replacement tops available for not too much $$$. I'm sure shipping internationally would not exactly be cheap but I know that sending a part by sea is not too bad if you can wait a month...

If you don't think you need a new top, you can for sure adjust what you have. Here are the installation instructions for a new top, maybe you can see something in there in the adjustment section you could use?

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/...tall-guide.pdf

I'd honestly see about replacing the entire top though if that's something you think you can do. Or you can see what a shop would charge you to do it. The part itself is $175 USD plus whatever shipping to NZ would be.

Hope this was somewhat informative...

Cheers
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #3

Region: Other
Thanks scottydsntknow for the reply and the very kind words about my homeland. I can certainly say the same about the USA.

Maybe i didn't explain myself properly, I will try to clarify my request. The fabric top on my convertible would appear to have been replaced in the not too distant past and seems to be in excellent overall condition. It appears however that the mechanism may be the cause of my problem in that when the top is up, the side bows sit too low at the hinge area above the door window glass on both sides and this prevents the windows from sealing against the rubber seal properly. Are you saying that the fabric top can cause this problem? I had assumed (rightly or wrongly) that it might be a mechanism adjustment problem? Are you able to clarify. Thanks again, Meric Hoffman.
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT