88 mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #1

88 mustang

I just got my 88 mustang.. It's my first mustang and second car. It's a 4 cyl and I'm planning on 5.0 swapping it.. I was wondering if anyone has done this or has any pointers..
Thanks
David

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
88.mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Google will help in this as many Mustang based magazines. I have never done it myself but do plenty of research.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

he easiest,fastest and probably cheapest way of doing this is by purchasing a wrecked donor Mustang with a 5.0
It will take you a lot of time and money if you have to locate the parts separately.
5.0 engine and transmission
All underhood and computer efi wiring harnesses
Vacuum canister assembly-inside pass side fenderwell
Vacuum tree on firewall
V8 fuel lines from tank to engine-4 cylinder lines are on the wrong side of the car
Computer
Sensors
8.8 rearend-drum to drum the 4 cylinder has a 7.5 which won't hold up to a 5.0 engine
The gas tank and 88lph fuel pump is identical between the 4 banger and 5.0 so keep yours in place
You can keep your current springs in place but the 5.0 engine will lower the front of the car due to the additional weight.Its like having free lowering springs installed.
If you've got an auto,its best to use the 5.0 auto transmission so you won't have to worry about swapping to a manual pedal assembly, etc.
The 4 cylinder radiator is identical to the 5.0 radiator
You'll also need the throttle cable/bracket and transmission cable from a 5.0 that connects to the throttle body.The 4 cylinder cable is too short.
5.0 motor mounts
The link below shows some other parts that will be needed.

Changing a Fox Mustang from a Four Cylinder to a V-8 - 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords Magazine
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What he said!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Or do a modfox. 96-98 NPI cars with a good driveline but other... issues... are all over the place, you could probably get a whole car out of a JY for very cheap. Swap EVERYTHING to V8/SN95 spec with the donor car and then PI swap the modular and throw some cams at it. That's a 300hp build for real cheap.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #6

Couldn't I just get a carb engine and bypass doing the rewiring for the computer?

Sent from my mom using IPhone
Old 05-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

You could, there are lots of threads on how to do a carb conversion. But if you are in a state where you have to pass emissions/visual check it won't fly. To convert a 4 banger you'll also want to do the trans/suspension and rear. The 4 banger trans is geared differently and is much weaker, the 4 banger rear is about useless and the 4 banger suspension is pretty soft.

I was talking about doing a Modfox just because its stupid cheap to find a 96-98 GT that has body damage or a shot interior or something and just pull the entire driveline/electronics out and swap it all and then you have a complete donor car so you aren't hunting around for all the different pieces. This also upgrades your front/rear suspension to SN95/5 lug spec and takes care of a few other things. PI heads/intake and aftermarket cams on a NPI motor will yield 10.5 compression and 300+ to the wheels.

This is literally the cheapest way to go if you want to V8 swap a 4 banger fox and the most economical too. Finding a decent foxbody V8 is getting more and more difficult although there are still a good number of 94/95 SN95 cars out there... Still a lot more expensive to do 300hp NA out of one than a modular tho.

Now... what is your budget?

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

I live in SC and we don't do inspections so I'm good there

Old 05-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #9

I have found an 83 ford f100 with a 5.0 in it and I was thinking about buying it using the motor and trans then scraping it

Old 05-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Nope, that won't be the HO motor. Trans... lol. Good luck with that one...

Old 05-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #11

Okay lol so I guess it's time to start looking for some engines I'll keep you guys posted on the progress if you guys want

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT