94 problems after upgrades - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
94 problems after upgrades

So I got some shortie headers and an off road mid pipe both from BBK. So my friends and I installed them in my garage. We thought it can't be that hard. So we got them on and started it up for the first time and I don't know what happened but it sounded like death. Then we smelled gas so bad my eyes started to burn and a check engine light came on so we shut it off jacked up the left side and found one of the bolts loose so we fixed that and the check engine light went away. So I thought everything was fine so I took it for a ride and I was going about 15 and the engine was sputtering and felt like it couldn't even go 15 and I though sense I had the batterie disconnect for 24 hours that maybe the computer was catching up so I gave it some gas and it felt just fine so I drove it for two days then it didn't stop sputtering so I went back under the car and tightened everything up more. Then drove it to get gas and it seemed okay but it was still sputtering at low speeds/RPM. so after I got gas I heard these backfires and thought maybe it's just warming up and after I drove it at like 45 mph it would go away. so today I had some spare time so I popped the hood and started looking around and found that my spark plug wire was off of the spark plug and thought that might be the problem so I put it back on and drove to pick some things up and it felt good. But then when I was leaving and starting it up it would start then run for maybe 15 seconds then rpm would drop and the car would die so I tried it again and threw it in reverse and made it home but the check engine light would come on for a while then go off then come back on. Any ideas on what's going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Beau_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
What's the DTCs?
Did you put the O2 sensors back in the exhaust after the install?

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
What's the DTCs?
Did you put the O2 sensors back in the exhaust after the install?

Adventure till you drop

Yeah I did could there be a short in the wires

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Are you running a tuner?
What was your converter setup? In terms of how many converters, like 4 or 6?

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you running a tuner?
What was your converter setup? In terms of how many converters, like 4 or 6?

Adventure till you drop

No I don't have a tuner that was gonna be my next mod. And what do you mean converter set up? Like my catalytic converters?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Yes, and tuner asap.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, and tuner asap.

Adventure till you drop

I had 4 I think cause there were two that the O2 censors went to and then there were two further back that went to what I believe was the air return does that sound right? And is the four bank eliminator chip good from bama?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

I'm not familiar with it enough to tell you it could fix it. Some cases yes, some no. I think try getting a tune for your car. Call bama tomorrow tell them what you've done to the car, and go from there. If the problem is still there, need we need to start checking stuff.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not familiar with it enough to tell you it could fix it. Some cases yes, some no. I think try getting a tune for your car. Call bama tomorrow tell them what you've done to the car, and go from there. If the problem is still there, need we need to start checking stuff.

Adventure till you drop

Could it be that the computer got adjusted to running off seven Pistons cause the spark plug wire was off and now it's back on could it be missing?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

The wire being off didn't help it, but it's good it's back on. Is the check engine light on?

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The wire being off didn't help it, but it's good it's back on. Is the check engine light on?

Adventure till you drop

Yeah it comes on and off

Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

On now? Or when it comes back on run to a parts store and have them scan it for you. I can help you better if I knew what codes your car is setting off. Codes narrow the search. Right now it would be a process of elimination.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On now? Or when it comes back on run to a parts store and have them scan it for you. I can help you better if I knew what codes your car is setting off. Codes narrow the search. Right now it would be a process of elimination.

Adventure till you drop

I tried to get the codes off and I got a 135 followed by a 7 or maybe it was a 357 but I couldn't find any that matched it to tell me what it is

Old 05-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Ok on thing you can do is get the spark plug off that the wire wasn't connected to. See if it's dark and if it smells like gas. Do that and you've possibly found the problem. Worse comes to worse you've eliminated a possibility of what it could be.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok on thing you can do is get the spark plug off that the wire wasn't connected to. See if it's dark and if it smells like gas. Do that and you've possibly found the problem. Worse comes to worse you've eliminated a possibility of what it could be.

Adventure till you drop

When I took it out today it was kind of dark

Old 05-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Alright, I'd recommend taking out another spark plug to do a comparison. Take a picture of both and post them up. Let's see what you got.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-28-2015, 11:04 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
1- You can't take an OBD1 car anywhere to have the codes pulled, you need to do the CEL trick with a paper clip. Being OBD1 also means you can't just get a "tuner".

2- Spark plug wire being off was causing all your issues as far as that. Since you failed to connect all your electrical after this change, go over EVERYTHING again and double check it all. Unplug/re-plug your O2 sensors and pull your plug wires and put dialectric grease in the boots to ensure a good connection.

3- Get a diagram and trace all your plug wires to make sure you have the firing order right. You may very well have a few mixed up. It is the HO firing order btw.

4- Did you get the headers with the EGR bung? If so did you hook up the EGR? If you got the ones without the EGR bung or did not hook the EGR up that will cause issues.

5- The bama 4 bank chip is a waste of your money. You need to either get a custom tune burnt for the car or re-pin the harness for a fox computer which will also require a BAP/Fan controller but those are cheap. Welcome to the wonderful world of the 94/95 V8 computers... Oh, and if you take the car somewhere and they say they can't tune for 94/95 computers they suck at tuning and you should refrain from giving them any business ever.

Trying to think of what else could be the cause...

You could have not hooked up a vac line to the whole smog assembly on the right side when you were doing the pass header (along with the EGR).

You could have gorilla'd the header bolts in too tight and are getting bad leaks at the flange. You NEED to use a torque wrench and work your way from the middle out or you'll **** up the gasket. Torque value is 26-32ft lbs on the header bolts.

Could have not tightened the collector flange nuts up enough (or too much and warped the flange).

Could have just broken an O2 wire or messed one up while they were out but that is not very likely.

I'd pull codes using the paper clip jumper trick and the CEL (google it for a how to) and go over everything again that I mentioned and see if you can find anything.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
1- You can't take an OBD1 car anywhere to have the codes pulled, you need to do the CEL trick with a paper clip. Being OBD1 also means you can't just get a "tuner".

2- Spark plug wire being off was causing all your issues as far as that. Since you failed to connect all your electrical after this change, go over EVERYTHING again and double check it all. Unplug/re-plug your O2 sensors and pull your plug wires and put dialectric grease in the boots to ensure a good connection.

3- Get a diagram and trace all your plug wires to make sure you have the firing order right. You may very well have a few mixed up. It is the HO firing order btw.

4- Did you get the headers with the EGR bung? If so did you hook up the EGR? If you got the ones without the EGR bung or did not hook the EGR up that will cause issues.

5- The bama 4 bank chip is a waste of your money. You need to either get a custom tune burnt for the car or re-pin the harness for a fox computer which will also require a BAP/Fan controller but those are cheap. Welcome to the wonderful world of the 94/95 V8 computers... Oh, and if you take the car somewhere and they say they can't tune for 94/95 computers they suck at tuning and you should refrain from giving them any business ever.

Trying to think of what else could be the cause...

You could have not hooked up a vac line to the whole smog assembly on the right side when you were doing the pass header (along with the EGR).

You could have gorilla'd the header bolts in too tight and are getting bad leaks at the flange. You NEED to use a torque wrench and work your way from the middle out or you'll **** up the gasket. Torque value is 26-32ft lbs on the header bolts.

Could have not tightened the collector flange nuts up enough (or too much and warped the flange).

Could have just broken an O2 wire or messed one up while they were out but that is not very likely.

I'd pull codes using the paper clip jumper trick and the CEL (google it for a how to) and go over everything again that I mentioned and see if you can find anything.

I did the paper clip trick and didn't get any useful codes. And I will go through and unplug all my wires and get the dielectric grease. And I might have over tightened the head bolts I'll go back through and redo that and check all the collector flanges. Was the egr bung off the headers or the mid pipe? Cause I got the one off the header on right but was questionable about a metal pipe that went to the vac hoses on the passenger side and I think the passenger side could be where I ****ed up.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:12 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
A spark plug wire being off could have made the cel come on.Its very possible the issue is intermittent and that's why the cel comes on/goes off/comes on/etc.What do you mean by no useful codes??None were present or you feel that none are relevant to your issue??After you inspect everything, disconnect the battery cable for 5 minutes, do a 10-20 minute drive cycle,then try the koeo koer scan again to see if any codes are present.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,2471.0.html
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Can do a cylinder balance check too to make sure everything is firing off properly.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 05-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrockstar View Post
A spark plug wire being off could have made the cel come on.Its very possible the issue is intermittent and that's why the cel comes on/goes off/comes on/etc.What do you mean by no useful codes??None were present or you feel that none are relevant to your issue??After you inspect everything, disconnect the battery cable for 5 minutes, do a 10-20 minute drive cycle,then try the koeo koer scan again to see if any codes are present.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,2471.0.html

I got a 135 followed by a 7 or it could have been a 357 but they didn't match any codes on the list I looked at.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I got the egr attached but it could be loose I'll check that again when I get back in town. And this is off topic but why don't you like the chip? I have heard nothing but good reviews about it.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ppl who leave good reviews about canned chips have not had a legit tuner get on their 94/95 computer. Or a simple A9L swap... I'd do that before I paid for a canned chip. Half the cost if that, you just need to do some re-pinning and wire in a fan controller/BAP. There are how-tos on the intewebs on how to do it.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:54 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ppl who leave good reviews about canned chips have not had a legit tuner get on their 94/95 computer. Or a simple A9L swap... I'd do that before I paid for a canned chip. Half the cost if that, you just need to do some re-pinning and wire in a fan controller/BAP. There are how-tos on the intewebs on how to do it.

So you would recommend doing a A9L swap?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:23 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

I do and I did. You'll get a lot of ppl telling you it's not worth it or whatever. Ask how many of them have actually personally done the swap. Every single last person I've ever talked to who also had it done recommends it. Those who don't are the info recyclers.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do and I did. You'll get a lot of ppl telling you it's not worth it or whatever. Ask how many of them have actually personally done the swap. Every single last person I've ever talked to who also had it done recommends it. Those who don't are the info recyclers.

What does it do for you?

Old 05-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

I did it myself. I used a PIH harness which is now discontinued. There are instructions on how to re-pin and wire in a BAP/Fan controller.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did it myself. I used a PIH harness which is now discontinued. There are instructions on how to re-pin and wire in a BAP/Fan controller.

What does the computer do for you like what gains do you get?

Old 05-31-2015, 09:22 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

More aggressive stock fuel tables, goes RPM based at WOT, no tip-in ****** between shifts.

I did mine with the only changes being the ignition box (required) and a new MAF (required for Cobras) and advanced my timing to 14 degrees while I was at it was a ridiculous difference. Single biggest difference I've ever done to a car as "minor mod".

Old 05-31-2015, 11:23 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
More aggressive stock fuel tables, goes RPM based at WOT, no tip-in ****** between shifts.

I did mine with the only changes being the ignition box (required) and a new MAF (required for Cobras) and advanced my timing to 14 degrees while I was at it was a ridiculous difference. Single biggest difference I've ever done to a car as "minor mod".

Will this computer work for automatics cause I read somewhere that it won't. And I drove my car today and it's all good after I reset the computer she drove fine

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT