Smog Delete, CAT Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2015, 05:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Smog Delete, CAT Questions

I am doing a smog pump delete.
I am worried my cats will burn up
I obviously need working 02 sensors
so my question is, do I go xpipe?
My car has no mufflers and only cats right now and its loud as hell
I live in an area where I WILL get tickets out my ******* if I have a car thats any louder than it already is.
Should I go xpipe with some flowmasters? I want the performance of a straight pipe but not so loud.

THANKS!
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just get a off road mid pipe , and some resonators to help the noise issue.

I don't see a smog pump causing issues with stock cats ..

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Cats get hot as **** without the air injection from the smog pump. Ask me how I know...

Get a UPR X pipe and weld in some mufflers to your pipes. Recommend Dynomax Ultras for a muffler that will be real loud when you stomp on it but will not be bad at all at low rpm and will not drone on the highway either.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
And the 95 down cars only have two O2 sensors so not having cats shouldn't throw any codes. Mine never did.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If you're gonna run converters, you need to use the smog pump.
The air(from the smog pump) helps break down the excess HC (hydrocarbons) and CO (carbon monoxide). The air supplied to the catalytic converters helps create the catalytic reaction that changes the HC & CO into CO2 and water vapor. Catalytic converters on 5.0 Mustangs are designed to use the extra air provided by the smog pump. Without the extra air, the catalytic converters will clog and fail.If the h/xpipe has high flow converters and no pipe fitting welded near the converters(for the air injection pipe to connect to)you don't have to run the smog pump.If the h/xpipe does have this pipe fitting, you should use the smog pump.The smog pump only uses 2-4 HP during wot,so its not too bad in the parasitic drag dept.The xpipe will give your Stang a higher pitched,raspy sound vs an hpipe.The hpipe gives that deeper sound.If you're gonna run cats and the fitting is there already, I would leave the smog pump in place.
Oil consumption and poor tune increase the amount of HC the oxidation catalyst has to deal with. The excess HC, that the converters cannot oxidize due to a lack of extra air (caused by deleting or bypassing the smog pump)becomes a crusty coating inside the honeycomb structure. This effectively reduces the size of the honeycomb passageways and builds up thicker over time and mileage. Continuous usage under such conditions will cause the converters to fail and clog. The extra air, provided by the smog pump,is essential for the oxidation process. It oxidizes the added HC from oil consumption and poor tune and keeps the HC levels within acceptable limits.
Newer catalytic converters do not use the Thermactor Air System (smog pump) because they are designed to work with an improved computer system that runs leaner and cleaner,but this type also uses 2 extra o2 sensors,which the 86-95 Mustang doesn't have.If you decide to run a vatted h/xpipe,install it first to see how the car sounds & if its still too loud or the sound doesn't satisfy you,go ahead & add whichever muffler meets your satisfaction.
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT