Suspension lean - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Suspension lean

My '90 is leaning and I can't figure out why. I noticed the tire clearance on the passenger side was about 3.5" and it was about 1.5" on the driver's side a few weeks ago. So I have replaced all four coils with an Eibach pro kit. They guys told me the bushings all looked good (despite the age) and they didn't see any cracked metal anywhere - basically the suspension is fine. Now I've got the same lean, but it's amplified because of the lowered springs. The passenger side will clear a finger, but the driver's side tires are IN the wheel well. What do I need to check or replace? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Car could have been wrecked prior.

Sent from the Bathroom

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I assume you installed the springs with the pigtails pointed in the right position??The pigtail on the rear springs need to be at the rear of the vehicle and pointed towards the left side of car(Both springs)The front control arms have 2 small holes in the bottom of them.The pigtail needs to cover one hole but leave the other hole clear(for drainage)If any of the springs are positioned incorrectly, that will affect the ride height on all corners.
Its highly unlikely, but if one of your strut/shock rods was seized in a certain position, that could cause the affected corner to sit higher/lower than the rest.You probably would have noticed while changing the springs though.If one of the sway bar end links is bent or tightened a lot more than the other side,it can cause a height difference between both sides.
A rusted out strut tower(at the upper spring perch) could also cause a leaning issue,but you would have noticed this when installing the new springs. If any of the control arm bushings are severely worn or binding up,it could keep that corner from settling all the way down like its supposed to do.I doubt this is your problem though.As SmurfStang alluded to,the car could have been wrecked before you bought it.The body or frame could be twisting(if you drive it hard at all)going back to the post accident specifications(highly unlikely if the problem just began)Frame/body twisting is something that would probably occur over time(mileage) vs just popping up out of the blue.If you jacked the front of the car completely off the ground then put blocks under the unibody,do the same thing to the rear of the car,then measure(each corner) from the unibody to the ground,this should tell you whether the frame/body is twisted.This would need to be done on a perfectly flat,asphalt or concrete surface.Doing the inspection this way takes the suspension components out of the equation and shows whether each corner is the same distance from the unibody & ground.If all 4 corners aren't close to the same height,the frame or body may be twisted.
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks much - gives me some things to chase after. It's not been wrecked, and the bushings, etc all looked good. Much appreciated
Old 08-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Frame might be twisted? I had a fox once when I was real young that had not been wrecked but raced a lot and the frame was effed. One of my first mustangs and I didn't know hardly anything so I bought it like that.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I guess a twisted frame us possible. It's a one owner car and the guy that owned it was an elderly NASA engineer that babied it, so I doubt it, but could be. I'm thinking it's more likely a combination of worn bushings, etc. it leaned with the stock set up and now still leaning with new coils. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT