Fox body to Sn95 motor and drivetrain swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Fox body to Sn95 motor and drivetrain swap?

So I have a 89 gt and i am looking to swap my motor and tranny and what ever else possible into a 95 gt. I know the 5.0 and t5 should go just fine, but what about my bbk shorty headers, aluminum drive shaft, rear end, motor mounts , and possibly suspension? I just bought bilstien shocks and struts and eibach sport line springs for my fox. I'm also worried about the sn95 wiring harness not hooking up to my motor ? How many have done this swap and what problems have you ran into ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
robq23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Most of the stuff swaps over, not sure about the suspension stuff as I have not actually ever done that. It probably will but if you can return it I would. If not then try it and if it doesn't fit then sell it.

As far as swapping the motor/trans/driveshaft and mounts. They all swap over with a few gotchas. You'll need to mess with the IAT sensor location a little and the front covers/accessories are different. Also the throttle body/egr assembly and the upper intake are different setups. If the 95GT you have has a motor in it you can just swap all the 95 stuff over or you can use the fox intake/tb setup.

Now as far as the trans/driveshaft... like I said they will fit. But you will need a 5/8" driveshaft spacer and your shifter will sit further forward. Since these cars are known for having issues with reaching for the shifter, this is not exactly ideal. However you can buy a Steeda shifter relocation plate (for the any TKO or any Hurst shifter) and modify it to fit any shifter with some nylon spacers. You will also need to use your fox bellhousing and clutch fork if you use a fox trans. You may also run into crossmember issues and driveshaft alignment with this setup but you can always buy a Stiffler's one that will have enough adjustment and shims to probably be fine.

Exhaust all bolts up but you will not be able to use EGR which is not really an issue but you will need to tune it out.

Electronics wise everything pretty much just bolts up especially since you have a donor car just use all the 95 electronics and anything that isn't quite right on your fox motor just swap the SN95 part from your 95 to it. I will say that the 94/95 computers suck *** tho... you can either tune them or you can put your fox ECU in which will need a minor re-pin along with a standalone fan controller and BAP sensor. I have the diagrams and I can post them when I get home if you need them. I highly recommend swapping to the fox computer.

So in a nutshell, yeah you can swap most/all of your stuff but its not 100% bolt in. It is close tho.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Okay good deal. I'm expecting a few hiccups but I just didn't know if anything major would come upon me. And as far as the 95, it has no motor and everything on my 5.0 is just a few months old so I plan to use all I can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hmmm yeah then you'll need to run with the fox TB setup and fox accessories which should work fine. You WILL want to convert to a 94+ alternator though, even if you were keeping a fox you'd want to do that. If not you'll have charging issues out the ***.

The rearend will work but you will need to 5 lug it if it isn't already. There will be a few other things but nothing major. Basically just that driveshaft spacer and the crossmember will give you fits but I'd just buy the Stiffler's.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Good, that all makes me pretty optimistic that it should go pretty well. Thanks I appreciate it!

Old 07-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah the 94/95 used the fox drivetrain with minor changes so they can be swapped. Biggest thing is the trans placement and some of the electronics.

Oh, you will need the 94/95 fuel rails and whatnot as well to go to the fuel lines in the car. Hopefully your roller still has that... Like I said, there are "gotchas" but nothing major. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other small things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
fox body