1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 lx need advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 lx need advice

What is this car worth? What could be the issue with the idle surge? I'm unfamiliar with fox body's and want to know what in getting into if I choose to purchase this?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436925574.889419.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	187103  
fiveslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tough question.
Edelbrock makes a bunch of different heads.
Any receipts for any of the work done to the motor or tranny?
How was it tuned?
Idle surge could be a vacuum leak, IAC, no/bad tune....

Sent from the Bathroom

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
"was told it had"

Walk away, this guy bought a problem child and is now dumping it. No receipts=it didn't happen unless you can visually see it.

Unless the body is straight and clean and no rust and the price is right anyway...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Is there something to look at to see the type of heads? Unsure yet of the receipts they haven't replied yet. He is wanting 4000

Old 07-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No receipts

Old 07-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

$4k is not exactly terrible for someone who knows what they are looking and and would not have an issue having to pull the whole driveline apart and sort it. That is IF the body is clean and straight with no corrosion issues.

Also seller is going to find out real fast that no receipts means it did not happen.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Personally I'd just forget about the car. There is no way to confirm that what he said was done to the motor or trans. In a SBF the only way to make power in a N/A motor is with aftermarket heads and they can be worth 40/60HP over the stock heads. If it does have the block that came with the car it should be a roller cam and although it's not the ideal block to have it will hold that much HP easily.

Just too many unknowns and if you are not familiar with SBF's or Fox Body cars I'd look for something that has proof of what was done to the car.......IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Alright I appreciate it guys

Old 07-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveslow View Post
Is there something to look at to see the type of heads? Unsure yet of the receipts they haven't replied yet. He is wanting 4000

Yes!
They will look like they are made of aluminum and say EDELBROCK right on them.

I'm not sure what receipts that you would need to see. He spelled out the setup right in the ad. It has a small block and a C4... Pretty simple stuff!
The condition of the car itself, would be a much bigger concern of mine.
The only way to find out is to go look at it. Bring someone who has some knowledge of Mustangs along with you.
And remember, sellers almost always ask for more than they are willing to accept.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hopefully wasn't rebuilt in a johnnyrigged manner

Hard to know

4k might be worth it if it's not a rotbox

Varasios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yes!
They will look like they are made of aluminum and say EDELBROCK right on them.

I'm not sure what receipts that you would need to see. He spelled out the setup right in the ad. It has a small block and a C4... Pretty simple stuff!
The condition of the car itself, would be a much bigger concern of mine.
The only way to find out is to go look at it. Bring someone who has some knowledge of Mustangs along with you.
And remember, sellers almost always ask for more than they are willing to accept.
I'd want to see the receipt for the rotating assy, the machine work and either pics of the diy install or a receipt from the shop that did it. That's just a start.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 07-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
At a slightly higher price point, I would want to see some receipts, or something, as well.

It would ultimately boil down to the whole car though. It should be pretty obvious, by driving the car, to tell if the engine has been stroked. And a keen eye should give an indication of the freshness of the drivetrain.
Buying any used vehicle, that isn't covered under a warranty, is going to be a "leap of faith". A person, obviously, should do everything in their power to confirm what the seller is telling them, but you can never be 100% sure about parts that you can't easily inspect.

I don't really have an opinion on this particular car either way. It could be nothing more than a rolling terd, or it might be a "diamond in the rough".
I just think that, for what he is asking, a lack of receipts wouldn't stop me from having a look at it.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
What is this car worth? What could be the issue with the idle surge? I'm unfamiliar with fox body's and want to know what in getting into if I choose to purchase this?

I should have said as it looks like you are new to the forum.

The wording the guy had in the add had a lot of "Red Flags" and when someone says, "I was told it was rebuilt.............I was told it had 425hp at the crank....................anytime some says that look them straight in the eyes and ask him for proof, my guess is that 95% of the time someone will say.................I never got any..........or I trusted the guy I bought it from. Someone that is honest will either tell you they had the car/motor on a dyno and have proof or don't have any idea............when it comes to motors/trans/rearends......don't trust anyone unless they are your buddy or the person has proof.
Last year I sold my long time drag race only car.............a 9.80@133 in the 1/4 car that I had for many years.....I received 5 figures in cash, only because I had every piece of paperwork I had spent ont he car for the past 4 years plus the bill of sale when I bought the car plus engine dyno papers..................9 pages showing 12 pulls.
Bodies are a dime a dozen, but the drive train is what makes the car....just be careful as there are a lot of people out to take your hard earned money.
Let us know if and when you need help....................in the past as long as the car wasn't more than 100 miles away I've gone to look at cars for friends and people on different web sites..............
Old 07-16-2015, 10:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I ended up buying a 76 f100 here in town after thinking about all the red flags mentioned and seemed like a good deal as he had receipts of the new engine, tires, etc. I just read up on different topics on the forum but yea that was my first post. I have a 2014 mustang gt I'm just trying to stop putting so many miles on. Anyone know a good forum for ford trucks btw?

Old 07-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

FordForumsOnline.com seems to be a pretty good one.

Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans is another.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

" was told" and no receipts is always a bad thing. Especially with fox's. Those poor cars have always been ragged on and beat up till no end and the people selling them with no receipts are always the ones to look out for. Unless you can really study the car and make an honest decision , I'd pass on it.

robq23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I ended up buying a 76 f100 here in town after thinking about all the red flags mentioned and seemed like a good deal as he had receipts of the new engine, tires, etc. I just read up on different topics on the forum but yea that was my first post. I have a 2014 mustang gt I'm just trying to stop putting so many miles on. Anyone know a good forum for ford trucks btw?

That F100 have a 460 in it?

Old 07-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

77 not 76. No the 400. Cool I'll look into those

Old 07-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Try here as well. 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Man_tlac00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT