Serpentine belt shredding - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Region: Michigan
Serpentine belt shredding

I'm hoping for some advice. I have worn through 3 serpentine belts. Replaced the first thinking it was just worn. It lasted 50 miles. Found the harmonic balancer out of alignment and thought I was good. Until last night. After less than 50 miles it's starting to peel again. The only other variable/clue is this all seemed to happen after removing the smog pump. Is it as simple as having all pulleys laser aligned or something worse?

5.8fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Are you routing it the right way?

Sometimes the tensioner goes bad. They can freeze up.

Sent from the Bathroom

2016 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
Have you tried free spinning all the pullies to make sure none of them are trying to seize up??Check all bolts/nuts too on every pulley to make sure none of them have loosened up,which would make the pulley wobble.Did you put a smog pump delete pulley on it or just remove the smog pump and use a shorter belt??If you just removed the pump with a shorter belt,it might be causing a misalignment issue because there's no longer that extra pulley there for support(highly unlikely though)If the belt is shredding on its edge,check the outer lip/rib on every one of the pullies to make sure the lip isn't bent inwards.Make sure all bolts/nuts are tight on every bracket holding a accessory. Make sure the bolt(that holds the tensioner against its mounting bracket) hasn't loosened up because it will allow the tensioners locating stud to move out of the hole that holds it in place & then that stud will be setting against the bracket & that will make the tensioner pulley sit crooked.
D.S.S. 331 10.5:1
Trick Flow Top End
XE276HR 0.544/0.544
80mm maf/70mm tb
1 5/8" Longtubes
Cat Hpipe/2 Chamber FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Region: Michigan
Thanks for the feedback guys.
We found the water pump was out of alignment towards the radiator about an 1/8 inch. Found a shim in the pulley housing of the water pump. Pulled that out, checked and alignment is good. I also examined all pulleys for burrs or sharp edges. Hopefully this fixes the problem. I'll monitor it closely. Thank you again.
5.8fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT