New clutch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

New clutch

I'm looking to get a new clutch for my 92 5.0. Which clutch would be best to go with for the price and fun on weekends? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
209stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Depends on your mods and what your plans for the car are. sounds like it's a weekend car, but is always good to get a clutch that gives you some room to grow. You'll hear pros and cons for all manufacturers, but Valeo makes alot of oem clutches for Ford and GM. Now for something that's alittle better than stock, I have the Valeo king Cobra clutch in my cars. There are alot of fake ones though, so be careful you don't get a cheap knock off. This is the one I have:

http://m.uprproducts.com/mustang-kin...lutch-kit.html

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Would I have to buy a new flywheel with this? Or how do I go about it??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You don't have to. Depending on how many times it's been done before, you'll want to have it resurfaced at a minimum though.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Okay. This is my first time I'm doing the clutch so don't know much about it. Or would it be possible that it can be the transmission oil never been flushed?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209stang View Post
Okay. This is my first time I'm doing the clutch so don't know much about it. Or would it be possible that it can be the transmission oil never been flushed?

Confused. Is there a problem with the clutch or are you just looking to upgrade it?

Foxbody91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It's a real hassle to put it into gear 1st threw 3 and when I put it in reverse some times it grinds and when it does go in. It like makes a loud noise like it doesn't want to go in. So I'm not sure??

Old 08-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Might not be the clutch. Could be a shot trans but if you've never done the clutch then its a good idea to do it anyway. If its the trans, they are easy as hell in the 95-down cars.

You need a new flywheel. People will tell you to hit it with some emery cloth or get it cut or whatever... no, they are being cheap. New clutch=new flywheel or you are doing it wrong.

Get on American Muscle and pick yourself up a new Ford iron flywheel

Ford Racing Mustang Replacement Flywheel - 50 oz. M-6375-B302 (81-95 5.0L, 93-95 Cobra) - Free Shipping

and a Ford Racing clutch

Ford Racing Mustang Performance Clutch M-7560-A302N (86-93 V8; 93-98 Cobra; 94-Mid 01 GT) - Free Shipping

You will also want 3 quarts of DexMerc 3 for the T-5 and a good set of tools to pull everything out.

The T-5 is probably the only trans on these cars I would say is not completely terrible to do in the driveway because it only weighs 75lbs and is separate from the bellhousing. But if you have a lift or can pay to use a lift... definitely use a lift.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Do you know how long the shipping would be? The mustang is my daily and it's driving me crazy to go from stops.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

AM is free shipping as it states on their site lol. And if you have 50 posts on here, PM a rep for a 6% discount code.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

OP, if your having issues shifting, I agree it might not be the clutch. However, There's nothing wrong with resurfacing a flywheel if it hasn't been done before. Obviously you don't want to do it too much, but on a stockish car you can save some cash, and you're not going to have any slipping issues.

But I will add that you might as well replace the Throwout bearing and pilot bearing since you're in there. That's easy to do, and cheap enough using good parts (oem).

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

The Ford kit will come with a pilot and TOB. Apparently the FRPP and OEM are now the same part number. Might have ran out of NOS pilot/tob and just went to the FRPP stuff. I dunno they used to be different.

I am of the mindset to always get a new flywheel btw. Shops can mess up on the re-surface or something else might be a hair off. Better just to buy new and unlike the 11" modular iron flywheels, you can still get OEM Ford 10.5" 50oz pushrod flywheels. And they are cheap... and iron is better for the street.

The ONLY exception I would make to getting a flywheel resurfaced is if I had another 94/95 Cobra. Fun fact of the day: 93-95 Cobras had a special Cobra only iron flywheel that is 3lbs lighter than the normal "GT" version.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they do come with Them typically. And they are the same now. I believe its even included with the Valeo kit I posted too. I do agree with you though. Unless there is major scratches, fractures, or marring, I've always resurfaced them. Most machine shops have an automated process for resurfacing so there is minimal human error, and it is spot on. Obviously that depends on the shops equipment in a particular area. But if the OP decides on new, definitely stick with an iron flywheel for the street. I have a buddy who put in one of those cheap F1 ebay aluminum flywheels, and although he actually likes it, it's less than desired for my tastes, and most others too.

And lastly I love fun facts!

***resident gun idiot***

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT