82 5.0 won't fire - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #1

Region: Kansas
82 5.0 won't fire

I have a 1982 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 with a Street avenger Holley carb 670 cm.

I recently was rewiring the mess the last "mechanic" was doing and then it just stopped starting. I check the ignition wiring from alternator all the way to the ignition switch to the carb etc. I just replaced the ignition coil, ignition coil connectors, cap, rotor and all fuses. It will crank and crank strong but it will not fire up. The fuel filter fills up with fuel so I don't suspect the pump to be bad and I can see the fuel squirt into the carb itself. Any ideas or suggestions will help greatly.
I bought the Manuel but the diagram doesn't match up to well to my mess
Wombatnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If it was running before you began messing with the wiring,its probably something electrical.The link below shows some great trouble shooting steps for the Duraspark l,ll, & lll ignition system.After you open the link and view its information related to the ignition,if you wanna view wiring diagrams for your model,do this.Click on select a chapter,click on chassis electrical,click on wiring diagrams then scroll down til you see your year model listed.Follow this same procedure if you wanna search other systems like engine electrical,suspension,etc.
http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...00c1528004dd0c
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrockstar View Post
If it was running before you began messing with the wiring,its probably something electrical.The link below shows some great trouble shooting steps for the Duraspark l,ll, & lll ignition system.After you open the link and view its information related to the ignition,if you wanna view wiring diagrams for your model,do this.Click on select a chapter,click on chassis electrical,click on wiring diagrams then scroll down til you see your year model listed.Follow this same procedure if you wanna search other systems like engine electrical,suspension,etc.
| Repair Guides | Electronic Ignition Systems | Diagnosis And Testing | AutoZone.com
this is the reason you replace one wire at a time,do you have 12 volts to positive side of coil? If not look for wire thats hot with key on jump it to positive side of coil. don't do this back off for thirty minutes then start checking everything
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT