1990 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Texas
1990 Ford Mustang 5.0

I have a 90 foxbody and it was wroking good
The car had been setting for a couple of years and I turned it on yesterday and everything worked
I turned it off and came back outside tried to turn it on and I wouldn't start
I checked the gas and it has gas
I replaced the fuel filter and it still won't start
I'm guessing it's the fuel pump anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Josueb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: California
Try spraying some starter fluid down the throttle body. If it tries to start, or at least pops, then you likely have a fuel problem. If it still does nothing, using the starter fluid, then there is probably no spark.
This will at least narrow the diagnosis process down a bit.

straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Florida
You can usually hear the fuel pump working........can you hear yours prime?
2016 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
When a efi equipped car sits for years,it can cause injector issues.One,or more,of the injectors could be leaking internally due to the varnish that builds up on them while sitting.If you drive the car til it reaches operating temp then turn the engine off & attempt a restart a few minutes later,a no start can sometimes indicate the fuel pressure regulator is defective or a injector(s)is leaking internally.If you turn the engine off and immediately check static fuel pressure then check it again after 60 seconds,pressure should Not drop more than 5psi in that 60 second time period.If it does drop more than that,a injector(s)is leaking, the fpr is defective or there's a leak in the fuel hose between the pump & fuel pump pickup or the pump relief valve.If this pressure bleed off is occurring,you can remove each spark plug & see if its wet with fuel.If it is,that cylinders injector is leaking.To check the regulator,let the engine reach operating temp,let it idle,remove the vacuum hose from the fpr.Is there fuel inside of the hose or is fuel seeping out of the regulator vacuum port?If yes,the fpr is bad.Another check to do is this::when the hot no start condition is present,hold the gas pedal to the floor while you try starting the car.If the car starts after a few seconds,that's another indication for a leaking injector.When the pedal is floored during cranking,that shuts the injectors off to clear a engine flood condition, so the engine starting is your sign there's too much fuel entering the cylinder(s) so an injector(s)must be leaking.
StrayBullitt's post mentioned doing the starting fluid trick,which is also a good test.Just remove the breather tube(between the oil filler neck on valve cover & the throttle body)from the throttle body,spray starting fluid or carb cleaner into that opening on the TB,reattach tube,attempt a startup.If the car starts & runs for a few seconds then dies,you've got a No Fuel problem.If it doesn't start at all,you've got a No Spark problem.
Another common cause for a hot no start is a defective pip sensor or TFI module.Let me know if you wanna test them & I'll post the testing procedure link for both sensors.Be sure to do the maintenance procedure on the salt & pepper shakers too.
D.S.S. 331 10.5:1
Trick Flow Top End
XE276HR 0.544/0.544
80mm maf/70mm tb
1 5/8" Longtubes
Cat Hpipe/2 Chamber FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT