No fuel no start code 542 help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #1

Region: Missouri
No fuel no start code 542 help

Hello and seasons greetings. The unusual warm temps this winter was too much of a temptation, so I removed the car cover and extended the verts season for a few weeks to do some Christmas shopping. All was well until backing out of a parking spot when she died..tried starting, sputtered and died again..Plenty of gas in tank. Spark at coil ok, fuel at rail ok (at the time), inertia switch ok..Thought it jumped time so I loosened the distributor while the wife cranked the engine and received major ZAPPAGE..a closer look revealed the adapter had cracked away from the dizzy cap as in the pic below.so.had the car towed home, purchased the cap adapter for 13.99 from AZ and..still no start so I ran a scan and got the 542..further testing this time no fuel at shrader valve, and no fuel pump prime noise at all..Fuses are all good..What is suggested as the next step to nail down whether it is indeed the FP..which wire do I tap into at the CCRM or the inertia switch? Or if the PIP is fried..will this effect juice to the FP circuit?
At this point I'm thinking the broken cap adapter happened to be a freak coincidence. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just to verify things,disconnect the crankcase breather tube at the throttle body,spray carb cleaner or starting fluid into that breather tube port on the throttle body,reconnect tube then try to start it.If it starts & runs for a few seconds then dies,its a no fuel problem.If it doesnt start at all,its a no spark problem.
The pip sensor won't affect the fuel pump on the initial priming of the fuel rail,but when the pump stops running (after the 2-5 second prime)the EEC will look at the pip sensor pulse to make sure the engine is rotating before it energizes the fuel pump again.The diagram below explains what happens when you turn the key on.The first thing I would do is take the inertia switch out of the picture & then see if the fuel pump primes.Just disconnect the wiring harness from it,use a short jumper wire or paper clip bent into a u shape & bridge the two terminals together on the harness connecter.In otherwords,put one end of the jumper wire into a harness terminal then put the other end into the other terminal, then see if the fuel pump primes.If it does,the inertia switch is bad.If it doesn't,the switch is good.Next thing I would check is the EEC relay.Disconnect the harness from one of the injectors,turn the key on,probe the red wire terminal with the (+) voltmeter probe & the (-)probe to ground,your meter should read 12 volts or battery voltage.If it does,that indicates the EEC is supplying voltage to the injectors, so therefore that indicates the EEC relay is working.If the injector harness shows low or no voltage, there's an issue with the EEC relay,relay wiring or a fusible link is suspect at the starter relay.If the EEC relay is working OK,check the fuel pump relay next.The FP relay is energized by the EEC relay.If you remove the relay from the wiring harness & test the harness terminals,one terminal should be "always hot" & another terminal should only be hot when the key is on.If you don't get battery voltage on one of the terminals when you turn the key on,the EEC relay is suspect or the wiring between it & the fuel pump relay is suspect.Now plug the fuel pump relay back into its wiring harness.Disconnect the wiring harness at the fuel pump,turn the key on,measure voltage at the harness.If battery voltage is present,the fuel pump relay is good.If no voltage is present,the fuel pump relay is bad.If everything,up to the fuel pump is good,the fuel pump is bad.The following link is the EFI No Start thread.It will help you find the cause for your no start condition.
BTW-you car doesn't have any idle surging,rolling idle,lean codes or rich running conditions does it??If so,its most likely due to the vented oil cap you're using.Any air that doesn't get measured by the MAF sensor is considered unmetered air(vacuum leak)& the vented oil cap falls under this category.

How to Solve an EFI No Start
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEC-FP_RELAYS (1).JPG
Views:	33
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	195179  
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #3

Region: Missouri
wbrockstar -Thank you for the reply..
I did jump the inertia switch with a paper clip..no luck, but it has power.
Did the EEC relay check- There is power at the injector connection.
As for fuel pump relay it's a sn-95 so it is encapsulated in the CCRM so I followed a schematic and probed the drkgrn/yellow wire and also the lgtblue/org wire and have 12v power to both during KOEO.
I also bypassed/jimmied the diagnostic port under the hood as someone suggested but no pump prime noise.
It seems these tests pretty much condemns the fuel pump..The only thing left to do is check for voltage at the harness coming out from the tank, I can access it pretty easy it's just been raining like a monsoon something fierce for days and have no garage to work in so I got to wait for a dry day hopefully tomorrow..
The oil breather cap you observed is just for lookin at, I have the underside of it plugged up nice and solid so no vacuum leaks or surging idle issues good looking out though.
Thank you for the detailed reply and pointers. Being stuck in the house for 3 days so far has allowed me to at least shop around for fuel pumps. Jegs has a Granatelli 155lph for 63.00 I might pull the trigger on..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The inertia switch should also read 5.0 ohms or less with a ohmmeter connected across both terminals.If not,its bad.I agree with ya though,It sounds like the fuel pump is bad if you're getting 12 volts at the inertia switch harness & jumping the terminals still doesn't get the pump to run.
Yeah you might as well step up to a bigger better pump for future mods.
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT