1995 GT issues, does it need a tune? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2015, 04:21 AM   #1

Region: Florida
1995 GT issues, does it need a tune?

I picked up a low mile 95 GT for a great price and then proceeded to have the cats removed and headers installed. The car ran fine before the removal. Now i have intermittent problems such as: high idle, hanging idle, surging and jerking. horrible fuel mileage. It seems to run a little better with the idle control valve unplugged but only temporarily. I went on many forums looking for answers and tried them all: MAF, TPS, Idle Control valve, engine coolant temp sensor. Someone mentioned that after i removed the cats and installed headers i should've had a new tune put on car. Any thoughts? I'm not getting a check engine light and have not had it scanned.
jharrypope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
It shouldn't do that. You did hook the O2s back up right? And they hooked all the EGR stuff back up properly?

I ran my 95 Cobra untuned with every bolt on you could think of for awhile and then I swapped it to a A9L because the factory 94/95 tune is complete crap. But even with said crap factory tune on yours it will not have an issue with headers and cats. Something is not hooked back up correctly is my guess.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:42 AM   #3

we have checked everything. sensors, plug wires, vacuum leaks. Like i said, the issues started right after the cats were removed and headers installed. so i can now rule out a tune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Have you pulled any codes yet? You have to do the jumper/CEL trick to get them on a 94/95 car but you can get them.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #5

no, havent checked the codes. not throwing a check engine light. wonder if the bulb is burned out? Doesnt autozone or one of the other parts stores scan obd1?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

They don't. You can buy an OBD1 scanner on the interwebs or just do the paper clip trick and pull the codes via the CEL.

You are SURE all 4 vac lines in the EGR area are hooked back up (white, red, green and I think the 4th is black)? You are SURE both O2s are hooked back up? They used a new gasket putting the EGR back on?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:12 AM   #7

i tried the paper clip trick but couldnt get it to work as i think the check engine light is burned out. it doesnt come on at all. even when starting car.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:24 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrypope View Post
i tried the paper clip trick but couldnt get it to work as i think the check engine light is burned out. it doesnt come on at all. even when starting car.
Then its burnt out or the guy you bought it from removed it which is very likely the case TBTH. Would not be the first time I've seen shady *** **** like that. I'd pull the cluster and replace the bulb and then pull codes before anything.

And you can always try the smoke trick in the engine bay around the EGR area to see if its pulling any unmetered air in via that route.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #9

thanks for your help. i am sure its a tiny little problem just a pain in the @$$ trying to track it down.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Hey Scottie.....Remember the AIR LINES from the back of the Heads to the Cats? I'll bet that's the problem.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Did you do a complete Smog Pump Delete? Did you remove the Air Lines off the back of the Heads & Cap them off (If E7 Heads) (GT40 Heads don't have those lines) ?
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Stock E7 heads and Cobra /Early Explorer Gt40 heads have those lines. Gt40p heads do not. Definitely check those. But I doubt that's the problem since even if the air line is open to air it's just venting to the atmosphere. Won't effect anything. Unless they damaged the whole smog assembly while they were doing the passnger header which honestly is my vote on what is wrong. And that is what I mentioned before. That a vac line or something in that area is borked. That is the only thing it could be honestly unless there is a massive exhaust leak or they completely wrecked an o2 or broke a sensor wire.

Why I never trust shops with my cars.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 12-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #13

I've been told that it is a computer issue and will need to be tuned. Talked with dennis at ramsey performance and mark houlahan of mustang monthly (well my friend talked with mark) and they both conclude its a tuning issue
Old 12-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrypope View Post
I've been told that it is a computer issue and will need to be tuned.
My car ran 100% fine with a full exhaust and the stock tune. It was a 95 Cobra. Same tune as the GT, just with a different injector mapping for the #24s it comes with.

That said, a tune for the 94/95 computers is almost mandatory anyway because it is so bad and I hope it helps your issues but I would not be surprised if the issues you are describing remain after a tune.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT