One piece headlights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
One piece headlights

Replace old 3 piece headlights with the one piece smoked. Had headlight covers from early 90's and now I never have to take them off again. Maybe next weekend I'll try to tackle white face gauges. Anyone know any tips to make it easier?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1451861483.350026.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	195406

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Liebert91stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
White faces? The cluster comes out in literally 5 minutes. Hardest part is getting the gauges accurate again. Recommend running the car to temp, taking a pic with your phone of it right before you shut it down. Swap the faces to white, put it back in the car with the clear plastic still off, start the car back up, run it to temp again, put the needles back on just like in the pic and then for the speedo use your phone's GPS to see how fast you are going and on a long straight stretch of road with little or no traffic, set the cruise control and then stick the needle to whatever the GPS says as far as your speed. Done.

As you can see, the actual cluster part is stupid fast/easy, getting the damn needles accurate is another story.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I've always been told to take a pic of them with the engine cold gas tank full and key in the on position. Then when you are ready to put it all back together you simply plug it back into the car, turn the key on and then you know the settings are the same. Then you replace the needles while it's plugged up and in the on position.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

The only way that works is if you can get the little stop posts out and let the gauges rest where they legit have zero tension on them. I've found the only way I get it to be accurate or almost accurate is to do it with the car running and to temp so the RPM is spot on as well as the gas and temp. If its a 99+ the RPM and speed can actually display on the digital readout.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Thanks for the advice. I figured getting the needles back where they should be would be the pain. And I like the gps idea.... Never though of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Liebert91stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah back in the day before everyone had a GPS in their phone, on the old phone in their junk drawer and the 6 yr old TomTom they got for christmas one year and used once, we had to drive at those "this is your speed" cop things to check or if you were lucky enough to have a car with a digital odometer you can set it to display speed and tach instead of mileage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT