BBK products - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
BBK products

So I'm looking for new shorties, and CAI looking for inputs on BBK products, I've heard good and bad reviews on them so any opinions will b helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Foxbody91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'm guessing you are a fox, if you were a 94/95 I'd say leave the CAI alone but the fox one could use a replace. I've had the BBK intake and headers for the 5.0 before and I'd say stay away. The fit is just OK, the CAI will corrode on you pretty quick and adding a metal CAI just adds heat soak anyway.

If you are going to go cheap, just get the SR and hit it with high temp paint.

The BBK headers fit fine but the chrome ones will discolor right after the first startup pretty much. Get these insteadhttp://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-shorty-headers-8693.html

I've had those too and the quality isn't even close between the 2. The FRPP are also stainless. They do come in ceramic too, or at least they used to, I'd get those if you can find them.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes 88 fox. I have both already installed they were on when I bought the car, I've had it for about 7 months now and since I bought them they jus look terrible now. I saw the SR brand on americanmuscle.com and was debating between that and the bbk but because I've heard how crappy their products get after usage I didn't want a repeat in another 7 months. So thanks for the input scotty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well... SR is just as crappy finish wise as the BBK but if you get a new one for cheap and paint it yourself and do a good job, it might hold up ok. I'd try to find one that is a composite like the JLT units you can get for the 96+ cars.

For headers just get the FRPP ones and never look back.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Preciate that. I'll look around some more for CAI, I've seen the sve brand and Anderson power pipes, ever used either of those?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Anderson power pipes are overpriced out the ***. I've seen a lot of homemade CAIs on foxes actually. Thin wall black PVC from Home Depot, rubber couplers, make your own sensor bungs with a hole saw and rubber grommet. Or just leave the stocker in place if you have stock heads and intake. The E7 stock heads on the Fox flow so badly that there is not exactly a ton that can be done on the intake side. Since you have a BBK already I'd just pull it, sand it down, hit it with some high temp paint and clear coat and put it back in.

First stop with a Fox is gears, headers, mid pipe, catback, shifter and a good tune up. Fuel pump should be replaced regardless of whether its failing or not and the alt should be upgraded to a 3G even if the stocker is fine.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have an h pipe with 2" stainless steel exhaust and borta mufflers, headers are shorty BBK, got the tune done in Florida by master ford tech 3 wks after I bought the car. Shorty shifter with adj clutch. I jus installed new upper and lower rear control arms, I busted my rear shocks tho. I'm doing one project at a time as its my daily so staying on top of it is my priority. I've ordered new shocks along with the Frpp headers. Bearing in my pulley tensioner is bad it makes this horrible screeching noise when I accelerate and that's what made me notice how bad my CAI and headers were looking. I've spent majority of my time working on the suspension of the vehicle. But sanding down the CAI seems like a cheaper way to go right now and repainting myself

Old 01-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Anderson power pipes are overpriced out the ***. I've seen a lot of homemade CAIs on foxes actually. Thin wall black PVC from Home Depot, rubber couplers, make your own sensor bungs with a hole saw and rubber grommet. Or just leave the stocker in place if you have stock heads and intake. The E7 stock heads on the Fox flow so badly that there is not exactly a ton that can be done on the intake side. Since you have a BBK already I'd just pull it, sand it down, hit it with some high temp paint and clear coat and put it back in.

First stop with a Fox is gears, headers, mid pipe, catback, shifter and a good tune up. Fuel pump should be replaced regardless of whether its failing or not and the alt should be upgraded to a 3G even if the stocker is fine.

Had a tune done by master ford tech in Florida 3 wks after I bought the car. Has 3.73 gears, h-pipe, borta mufflers with 2" stainless steel exhaust. Haven't replaced fuel pump yet tanks for the heads up. Short throw shifter with adj clutch, tranny is a t-5 tremec. I've spent months redoing almost all the suspension, so I'm working towards the engine now but so far brand new struts and shock, rear axle bearings, I installed new upper and lower rear control arms(was a pain), new poly bushing..and I replaced all four brakes. Apparently guy before me put in an sn95 rear end to fit the rear disc brakes. This car is my daily so I stay on top of it. So between the CAI and headers, and the bearing in my pulley tensioner is worn it makes this horrible screeching noise when I accelerate, I think Ima have my hands tied the new few weekends.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Think I'm going to go the Home Depot route though I think it'll save me a lot of $$$

Old 01-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

I honestly would just pull and sand and paint the one that's on there. That'll save you the most $$.

I'd check the shift stops on the shifter to make sure they are set properly, and if you have the Borla catback you are 2.25" exhaust although most of the catbacks are 2.5" all the way.

You are basically at the power limit of the stock heads right now. You could intake swap to an Explorer for a little more but after that you'll have to do a HCI. Or a power adder. Even the garbage E7 heads can do near 400whp with enough air crammed into them.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

With a budget of about $6k should I swap it with the explorer intake? Or would the power adder be the best route? Never done a swap of this degree by myself. This summer id like to run it down the 1/2 and see what she can do

Old 01-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Depends on what the rest of your suspension setup is. What I'd do for $6k is a ported Explorer intake (pulled from a JY) by Tom Moss. $100 for the intake from a JY, you'd have to get ahold of tmossporting.com and see what he charges now. Then a good used TFS1 cam for $100 and then a set of Twisted Wedge aluminum heads brand new from Summit for $1200.

I'd then install a 125 shot of Nitrous, get a dyno tune and go to work on the suspension and cosmetics of the car.

That's about a 325whp fox off the bottle and then whatever she makes on the sauce. With as little as they weigh and with the right suspension setup that will be a fun as hell and quick street car that'll do 12s all day on motor and 11s on the sauce with the right suspension setup and a good driver. Just be prepared for the T5 to let go at some point... they aren't exactly known for strength.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT