95 GT distributor not getting spark - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
Region: Washington
95 GT distributor not getting spark

While I was driving, my car turned off and won't turn back on now. I had oil, gas, coolant, ext. come to find out my distributor wasn't getting any spark, so i replaced the cap and rotor, yet the issue is still there. This is my first car, I got it about a month ago, I replaced the top radiator hose already since it sprung a leak. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Odidiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Kentucky
Check the TFI module and the coil. Any parts store can test the TFI. Make sure they run it thru atleast 6 or 7 times. Its mounted on the passenger side under your MAF sensor with a big heatsink on it. If the coil and TFI check fine, change the distributor. Our cars are notorious for the PIP inside the distributor going bad.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

1995 V6 Mustang= Divorced Duals, Flowmaster 2 chambers, NO CATS, Raxiom Halo Projector headlights, Smoked Tails, 17 inch Bullitt Wheels
1997 Mustang GT: 4.6L DOHC http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t305270/
1986 Mustang GT= Built 302 SOLD
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
Remove the spout plug from the tfi module wiring harness & try to start the engine.If the engine starts after the spout plug is removed,the pip(stator)sensor is bad.It can also be bad even if it doesn't start with the spout plug removed,but thats an easy test to do,if youve got a No Start condition present due to No Spark

The following info was taken from sbftech.com.Its the No Spark testing section of the EFI No Start thread.

"Quote" Joel 5.0

Step 1)  Place ignition key in on, with the 12-vdc test light connected to a good ground, probe the (+) terminal at the coil (Red/Lt Green wire)...test light off = usually an ignition switch or 20 GA fuse link problem....test light on = next step.

Step 2)  Place ignition key in on, with the 12-vdc test light connected to a good ground, probe the (-) terminal at the coil (Tan/Yellow wire)...test light off = replace coil, test light on = next step.

Step 3)  Place ignition key in on, with the 12-vdc test light connected to a good ground, probe the (-) terminal at the coil (Tan/Yellow wire), rotate distributor left-right-left and check test light...test light blinks = replace coil....test light on = next step.

Step 4)  Ign On, backprobe or disconnect TFI and check with test light, pin #4 (ICM Power)...test light on = next step, test light off = open problem in wiring that needs tracing and repair.

Step 5)  Up till now the problem is either a TFI module, or a stator sensor failure. Your options are to either replace the module and check if it starts, or follow this testing procedure to rule out/id the module as the culprit, and replace the stator sensor, TFI module, or both....I usually recommend the latter one for these cases anyway..... 
D.S.S. 331 10.5:1
Trick Flow Top End
XE276HR 0.544/0.544
80mm maf/70mm tb
1 5/8" Longtubes
Cat Hpipe/2 Chamber FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Ive had this same issue, i was on the interstate in my 89 5.0 and the car suddenly shut off and had to pull to the side, same exact situation. After towing it back and checking things out i found out that the pick up coil was damaged and grinded up.

luckily I had a msd distributor from my 87 and put it in with the old TFI module and whaddayaknow, the car started right up.

Id start by pulling off the distributor cap and rotor and look to see if the coil is damaged or has been grinded down by the reluctor (spinning cog thing). if its damaged replace.
Haav2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« Codes | Leaks »