Oil n antifreeze being pulled through the pcv, 1989 LX. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Oil n antifreeze being pulled through the pcv, 1989 LX.

Disregard the rambling in the vid. I've recently got back into my 89LX and want to know why I'm pulling oil n antifreeze through the pcv? I'm assuming it's AF going by the cream color. I used an air water separator from an air compressor to intercept the liquid and prevent it from being sucked into the upper intake. Any ideas as to why this is occurring? The oil is clean as a whistle and at 180 degrees, the OP is 45 psi at idle. To much oil pressure? The engine was rebuilt years ago and runs very strong, like a chain saw. Edelbrock aluminum heads, (2.02, 1.54) studded throughout, FMS rockers, Isky cam, Pete Jackson gear drive, 155 lph fuel pump Mac long tubes, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Scott
EDIT: It's not using any oil really or much AF. Everyone has told me it's probably a head gasket, do you agree?

2014 GT/CS 6spd. with total FR suspension upgrades.
stanggtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The gear drive does kinda sound like a chainsaw...

It could be the head gaskets, but since you haven't noticed any mixing of coolant/oil in either the radiator or the crank case, it is more likely that the intake manifold gasket is leaking.

How long did it take for that oil separator in the photo to fill up?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

@straybullitt, that's correct, to the best of my knowledge there's no oil in the coolant, looks nuclear green, the oil is clear and smells like oil. It doesn't take long to fill my oil catcher. At idle nothing happens, bring up the R's for a couple minutes and it nearly fills. Would a baffle beneath the pcv help?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. Probably, a baffle of some sort would help.

It is still a mystery to me, how the coolant is making it into the oil separator... If it is indeed coolant. I would monitor it for a while and see if there is the same amount of liquid in the oil separator each that it fills up. If it continues, and you determine that it is in fact coolant, then there is definitely a leak somewhere, that will need to be found and repaired.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #5

Region: Kentucky
Did you put thread sealant on your head bolts before installing ?
stang347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

@stang347, I didn't rebuild the motor was done about 7 years ago, no bolts, the heads are studded. I'm assuming the studs had sealant applied. This has been an ongoing dilemma for years and now just want it to run like it should. I have a pair of Fel-pro gaskets for the lower intake, I just may dive into it and see if this does the trick.

@straybullitt, Is coolant heavier than oil? There is clearly a different liquid at the bottom of the MacGyver catch can. I have the lower intake gaskets might as well give it a shot. I always get nervous when I start getting into stuff, don't know why it's a pretty straight forward. I even have the torque sequence from Edelbrock. Will pressurizing the coolant system show me where the leak is?

Old 06-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. Water/coolant is heavier than oil.
I can see that there is something in there.

And yes, a pressure test is an excellent way to find leaks in the cooling system. I'm not sure if a simple pressure test will be of much help in this case though. Perhaps, you could remove the upper intake and then pressurize the system and see if you can detect any coolant entering the lower intake manifold. I suppose that a pressure test will at least tell you if the system is leaking from somewhere.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I spoke to a mechanic friend and he said pull all the plugs, if one of them is squeaky clean it's a head gasket. Any truth to this? He also said it could be a lower intake gasket.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would say that it is a 50/50 chance of being either a head gasket or the intake gaskets.
A well equipped shop likely has the equipment to more closely do the diagnosis. Us "shade tree mechanics" need to rely on things like "reading" the spark plugs, and closely examining gaskets as they are removed from the engine, looking for signs of possible leaking, to find the problem.
It's difficult to diagnose problems like this over the internet. My best advice is to take it carefully apart, and look for definitive signs of a leaking intake manifold gasket. If you can't find any such signs, then you will likely need to do the head gaskets. Again, since there are no signs of fluid mixing in the crankcase or the radiator, it points more towards an intake leak.

Another option would be to have a reputable well equipped shop do the diagnosis. Then you can do the repairs based on their recommendation of what they think is causing the leak.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had a problem when I milled my heads that the intake didn't sit flush and wouldn't seal. I had to slap it onto my Bridgeport and fix the angle so that it matched my newly milled heads. I learned this of course the hard way after taking my intake manifold off 3 times wondering why coolant and oil kept partying together.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the advise smurf stang and straybullitt. Taking a week off soon, this will be my main focus, just want this to run like it should, love my 89 LX, love my 14 GT/CS too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT