Oil Pump Replacement - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

Region: Kansas
Oil Pump Replacement

Just looking at a car that the current owner believes it might need an oil pump. If this is the case I have found the oil pumps are under $50 generally, but what would be the time on replacing this part in the car? It is a 1994 with over 100k. I am pretty interested in the car but if this is going to be a $500 plus repair I might have to pass on it.

What do you guys think?
jared6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I'm pretty sure you have to lift the engine or drop the k member to get the oil pan off. Not a cheap repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

Region: Alaska
Jkeaton is correct I believe. Because the oil pan is dual sump, the engine either has to be raised very high, or the K member must be dropped to remove it and access the oil pump. I would be wary anyway. How does the current owner know it needs an oil pump? Maybe it just needs a pressure sender...
86mustanglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86mustanglx View Post
Jkeaton is correct I believe. Because the oil pan is dual sump, the engine either has to be raised very high, or the K member must be dropped to remove it and access the oil pump. I would be wary anyway. How does the current owner know it needs an oil pump? Maybe it just needs a pressure sender...
The current owner says he is not 100% sure, but it is what he thinks it is. Neither of us are mechanics. What would a pressure sender cost to replace?
Old 09-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #5

The pressure sender would be short money to replace as if I recall correctly, its just a switch. What should really be done, is a mechanical oil pressure gauge should be used to check the oil pressure which will tell you whether it is a sender / cluster issue, or a mechanical issue. Have you heard the car run? Does it sound normal? Even an oil pump is not too bad a job if the car can be had for real cheap. The issue is the problems you get from oil starvation if the engine was run excessively with low or no oil pressure.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #6

Quote:
The pressure sender would be short money to replace as if I recall correctly, its just a switch. What should really be done, is a mechanical oil pressure gauge should be used to check the oil pressure which will tell you whether it is a sender / cluster issue, or a mechanical issue. Have you heard the car run? Does it sound normal? Even an oil pump is not too bad a job if the car can be had for real cheap. The issue is the problems you get from oil starvation if the engine was run excessively with low or no oil pressure.
I am planning to visit with the guy and see the car this weekend. His statement about how it runs was that it starts fine, "but she will start ticking after a couple miles because the pump gets weird...the car doesn't leak or burn oil."

He also stated a compression test was done and all cylinders fire good and even.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared6180 View Post
I am planning to visit with the guy and see the car this weekend. His statement about how it runs was that it starts fine, "but she will start ticking after a couple miles because the pump gets weird...the car doesn't leak or burn oil."

He also stated a compression test was done and all cylinders fire good and even.
Most shops charge a bay fee usually around $100 to inspect a car. I would see if you could come to an agreement to split the cost 50-50. That way if it's a easy fix you know for sure, and if not you're only out about $50 and not the entire cost of the car.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbickel View Post
Most shops charge a bay fee usually around $100 to inspect a car. I would see if you could come to an agreement to split the cost 50-50. That way if it's a easy fix you know for sure, and if not you're only out about $50 and not the entire cost of the car.
The car is worth what he is asking even if it is a $500 or more repair. Either way I would pay it, but if it is an inexpensive fix I could get it done much quicker. Plus my mechanic is a friend and Mustang enthusiast. I just like having a clue about what is happening and heck, maybe even fix it myself! If it is the oil pump, its going to the mechanic for sure!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #9

If the car is worth it either way, just go for it man!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:43 AM   #10

Quote:
If the car is worth it either way, just go for it man!
That's what I am thinking about doing. I am going to see the car this weekend. If the pics are any indication, I will be buying it.

I did find out the Oil Pump and install is a 2 day job at the shop I use. $1,000.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:24 AM   #11

That's no so bad, I would heed the advice mentioned above and ask the shop to actually diagnose the issue so you know what you are dealing with for sure. I've had many customers who decide to wave diagnosis and just have me install a part, and a lot of the time, it does not end up fixing the issue.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I would try to get the diagnoses before buying and let him think it's a requirement for the purchase. It would only cost you about $50 more and you would actually know what it is. Worst case is he doesn't agree to those terms and you could just say never mind I'll buy it without it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #13

Spoke to my mechanic again and he said he was under the impression this was a 2011+ 5.0. I told him it was a 1994. It will be much less expensive on a 94!
Old 09-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Still have to drop k member or lift the engine though.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Still have to drop k member or lift the engine though.
Yes, but I won't do it until I have some other performance parts ready to be put on at the same time.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So your going to drive it with a possible bad oil pump until you can buy some more parts? Or just buy it and park it?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #17

Buy and park. Why would I risk further harming the car. I'm even having AAA tow it home. No reason to put the entire motor at risk.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry. You did not specify your intentions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT