Electric fan issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
Electric fan issue

Hi all. I have a 91 gt that's been modded.. I installed a 94 gt fan and radiator about 3 months ago and yesterday the barrings sounded like they was about to lock up so I stopped and ordered a new 94 fan that will bolt to the radiator. The car unless driven hard always runs between 205 and 210 when pretty warm outside. Today I picked up the new fan and assembly which is identical to the one that locked up. After installing I drove the car for about a hr.. when sitting in traffic it was fine running right at 200 but the problem is driving down the Rd at 60 it creeps up to as high as 225 230 and that driving very easy but I could stop and let it idle and it would drop back down to 195 to 200. Seems it should be the opposite here but I would like some opinions of what's going on here since I replaced the fan with the same fan assembly. Thanks in advanced guys/gals
Stanger76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 02:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

My first guess would be that something is blocking airflow, or that the splitter under the car that is designed to push air up into the radiator is missing or folded.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:29 AM   #3

Region: Alaska
I'd have to agree with Revvv, there is something else going on there. Did you change the wiring of the fan at all? You're sure there is no obstruction?
86mustanglx is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 05:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86mustanglx View Post
I'd have to agree with Revvv, there is something else going on there. Did you change the wiring of the fan at all? You're sure there is no obstruction?
No I simply unplugged the fan took the 2 bolts out sat the new fan in plugged it back up.. I will check the flaps to divert the air but yesterday the old fan sounded as if the barrings in my engine was gone they were so loud and embarrassing lol but the car temp was fine and ran normal to work and back. I stopped at O'Reilly's where I ordered the new assembly picked it up and it locked up when I pulled into my yard so I took all of 5 mins to swap it out ran to the store and it instantly ran hotter. Never ran hot but ran much warmer then normal. I changed no wiring just unplugged installed plugged it back up checked to make sure it was running on high and pulling through the radiator..
Old 09-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #5

I'm not sure if I know what flaps to divert the air to the radiator that you are talking about. Could you explain or maybe lost a link or pic so I know what I'm looking at. Thanks for the help guys
Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
There is a plastic flap that run along the bottom of the radiator on the front of the car. This is supposed to direct air upwards when driving.

In regards to the fan, is this a 2 speed fan?
What type of gauge are you using? Hopefully not stock.....

1. Add coolant and be sure that your coolant is good. You've done this. That's only STEP 1 in diagnosing.

2. Check your oil level and see if there's coolant present. Coolant in the oil typically looks like a whitish paste. If this is the case, there is a leak internally somewhere. Most likely, your head gasket.

3. You need to do a pressure test on the system while its cool. to be sure you don't have an externally visible coolant leak somewhere. If you find a leak, you need to fix it (obviously). You should also be checking to be certain the cap on the radiator is sealing properly. There will typically be yellow gunk around it if its been leaking. Same with the oil cap. You can rent the tester for free from your local auto parts.

4. Check to see if your thermostat is functioning. Some people can do this on the vehicle by squeezing the coolant hose, and waiting until the thermostat opens. When this happens, you can feel the pressure in the hose change. My personal recommendation is to put it into a pot of water and set it to boil. If its functioning, it will pop open right around boiling temperature. If it doesn't open... it isn't functioning.

5. Inspect the belts and the water pump. Does your water pump have any shaft play? Is the belt installed properly, or failing somehow? You can also manually turn the water pump to be sure its actually movable.

6. Is there any type of blockage to the cooling system? Is your radiator fan spinning, and turning on and off as necessary? Is your A/C installed and does it work? Is it on when you're doing this?

If you're ONLY noticing overheating at high engine loads, I would suspect it isn't a fan related issue since it is new.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The thermostat could be stuck, or sticking. The car at idle might be allowing just enough coolant through to keep things controlled. When the engine is under pressure the coolant could still be a trickle, which is not enough.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT