Heads!!??!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
Heads!!??!!

I'm wanting to run the GT40 heads. Any tech info or suggestions on better heads would be helpful. Here's what I've got.
1995 Mustang GT
.030 over bottom,
Stage 1 cam,
Holley SysteMax Intake,
Edelbrock Throttlebody,
Long Tube Headers,
Flowmaster 40 series with turnouts in front of the bank k tires,
H pipe.
410 gears
So that's the motor in a nutshell so ya have some motor specs to go on when talking about which head would be best suited. I'm thinking about putting the GT40 heads on it. Any thoughts or opinions would be cool. Thanks in advance.
Tspe2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What is a Stage one cam?

Secondly what is your budget?

My vote is for some TW170.

Buying a set of heads means you will need to order hardened pushrods, rocker arms, gaskets all around, head bolts..........it will all start to add up.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #3

Region: Michigan
Smurf Stang. Its a Trick Flow tfs1. Here are the specs on the cam.

Cam Specs
2,000-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 225
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221 int./225 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 275
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 279
Advertised Duration: 275 int./279 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.499 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.510 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.499 int./0.510 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Camshaft Gear Attachment: 1-bolt
Computer-Controlled Compatible: Yes
Grind Number: HR-224/339-2S-12
Valve Springs Required: Yes
Lift w/ 1.6 rocker (intake/exhaust) - .499"/.510"
Lobe separation (degrees) - 112° ....

As far as budget goes I'm not rich by any means. But I'm willing to spend the money to make it better. I'm just trying to do it wisely and get the most bang for my buck. Without just breaking the bank. Ya know what I mean. With that said I'm thinking I am going to go with the GT40 heads and not the GT40p heads. Reason being the GT40 heads, are still much better than the stock 1995 heads currently on my 306, they have the spark plugs in the same position as my stock heads so it would be plug and play as far as my headers and exhaust go. If I throw a set of GT40p heads on it the plugs are more centered with the piston, producing a little better combustion, and the plugs are not angled. They are straight in. (plugs are 90° to the block whereas the GT40 plugs are more like on a 45° angle into the head instead of threading straight in.) If I go with the GT40p heads the headers that I'm currently running won't work with the way that the plugs go into the head. Then I'll have to pretty much change my entire exhaust around again requiring substantial money, again. So if I go with the GT40 Heads they will flow a lot better than the stock heads I'm currently running and let her breathe a little better. I also believe that the GT40 heads will be better suited to run with the cam and intake that I'm running now As opposed to running them with stock heads like I am at the moment. Now I know I'm not going to be getting a huge gain by changing these heads but I'm hoping to get a decent gain being that the GT40 Heads would let the cam and intake do their jobs a lot better than the stockers do. Thoughts, opinions on your end? I'm not a Great mechanic that knows a whole bunch. Just a guy that's trying to put together the best motor I can with the finances available a little at a time while still getting to drive her and have fun with it. It already runs pretty well with what's been done to it already. It pulls pretty hard and is pretty well respected around the neighborhood for what it is. Its only a .030 over 302. So with the small cubes I'm trying to put the work that I do to it in the right places to get the most out of my little pony motor. Gears were a tremendous addition after the motor work that's already been done. I'm also thinking that there's not much else I can do after I get these heads on there because I'll really be getting into the money then. So after the heads are on it I'm thinking thats it. It will be what it will be at that point. Bottom ends been done. Cam intake and heads will be done and I think that's going to be the end of the road for a long while. Time to just drive and enjoy the **** out of my little beast.. Again thanks for reading my novel and any opinion would be great... Thanks tspe2006

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

Smurf Stang. Its a Trick Flow tfs1. Here are the specs on the cam.

Cam Specs
2,000-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 225
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221 int./225 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 275
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 279
Advertised Duration: 275 int./279 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.499 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.510 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.499 int./0.510 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Camshaft Gear Attachment: 1-bolt
Computer-Controlled Compatible: Yes
Grind Number: HR-224/339-2S-12
Valve Springs Required: Yes
Lift w/ 1.6 rocker (intake/exhaust) - .499"/.510"
Lobe separation (degrees) - 112° ....

As far as budget goes I'm not rich by any means. But I'm willing to spend the money to make it better. I'm just trying to do it wisely and get the most bang for my buck. Without just breaking the bank. Ya know what I mean. With that said I'm thinking I am going to go with the GT40 heads and not the GT40p heads. Reason being the GT40 heads, are still much better than the stock 1995 heads currently on my 306, they have the spark plugs in the same position as my stock heads so it would be plug and play as far as my headers and exhaust go. If I throw a set of GT40p heads on it the plugs are more centered with the piston, producing a little better combustion, and the plugs are not angled. They are straight in. (plugs are 90° to the block whereas the GT40 plugs are more like on a 45° angle into the head instead of threading straight in.) If I go with the GT40p heads the headers that I'm currently running won't work with the way that the plugs go into the head. Then I'll have to pretty much change my entire exhaust around again requiring substantial money, again. So if I go with the GT40 Heads they will flow a lot better than the stock heads I'm currently running and let her breathe a little better. I also believe that the GT40 heads will be better suited to run with the cam and intake that I'm running now As opposed to running them with stock heads like I am at the moment. Now I know I'm not going to be getting a huge gain by changing these heads but I'm hoping to get a decent gain being that the GT40 Heads would let the cam and intake do their jobs a lot better than the stockers do. Thoughts, opinions on your end? I'm not a Great mechanic that knows a whole bunch. Just a guy that's trying to put together the best motor I can with the finances available a little at a time while still getting to drive her and have fun with it. It already runs pretty well with what's been done to it already. It pulls pretty hard and is pretty well respected around the neighborhood for what it is. Its only a .030 over 302. So with the small cubes I'm trying to put the work that I do to it in the right places to get the most out of my little pony motor. Gears were a tremendous addition after the motor work that's already been done. I'm also thinking that there's not much else I can do after I get these heads on there because I'll really be getting into the money then. So after the heads are on it I'm thinking thats it. It will be what it will be at that point. Bottom ends been done. Cam intake and heads will be done and I think that's going to be the end of the road for a long while. Time to just drive and enjoy the **** out of my little beast.. Again thanks for reading my novel and any opinion would be great... Thanks tspe2006
Tspe2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
After spending $1000 on GT40 heads just go aftermarket. You can find a nice set of aluminum heads that flow much better for $1500 or less.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Think of the big picture.....how much will the heads cost?
How much for the machine shop to check them out?
New seals?
You will need new valve springs?
Figure you are at least $500 into them minimum. Why not score a set of used aluminum's for $700 to $800.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I'm a little late to this party and maybe I could just ask a few questions about the motor.
What kind of pistons do you have and what is the piston dome/recess volume?
What was the deck height when the motor was put together?
There are a number of heads to choose from although I have always like TF and AFR heads on SBF's.
One word of caution on buying used aluminum heads...the aluminum does go soft over time and especially if they were used on a race car. If they go soft they make really nice wall hangers.

Six Budget Ford Heads That Work - Hot Rod Network
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT