Mustang Evolution Forum banner

87 mustang gt overheating?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  smurf stang 
#1 ·
Have a 87 recently while driving started to over heat check it out top hose was cold I assume the thermostat wasn't opening got a new one still the same issue need some help

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
I'm not as familiar with the older 302, but if the tstat is new, and you've flushed the system and checked flow blockage, I'd be leaning towards either a failed or on its way out water pump. But definitely check the radiator first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#3 ·
A few questions: What's your engine, water pump and fan setup? How were you driving - higher rpms, highway, traffic, etc? Are you determining that you are overheating because of the gauge only? Is this situation repeatable every time? Did you drill a small hole in your t-stat before installing for air to escape?

Personally I would start by letting it sit at idle as it heats and wait for it to reach temp. If everything works as it should once hot, you might be having lower hose collapse at higher rpms. If you still overheat at idle, that points to your thermostat, or a blockage or serious amounts of air in your system.

Let us know what you find out

#10 ·
So pretty much stock everything I see. Did this just start happening? How long have you had this car? How long has it been running right before this started to happen?

Ok so you are going to need a good mechanical gauge to see where and when the temps are shooting up.

So your checked and the tstat is good?
Proper level of coolant?
Flushed very well and no obstructions?
Bottom hose not collapsing?
Did you burp the coolant system? Did you jack up the car when you burped it?
Also do a pressure test. You can get this from the Auto Parts store for free.
Finally when you are burping the system and you keep seeing bubbles and more bubbles it might be a head gasket which is causing the overheating.

#11 ·
One thing you can check,related to the heater,is the heater hose.81-88 models,the 93 Cobra & police intercepter Mustangs came with a metal coolant flow restricter in the larger heater hose.Since its passage is smaller than the heater hose passage,corrosion can clog this restricter easier than it can clog the heater hose itself.If corrosion builds up in this restricter,it'll cut the flow of coolant off completely to the heater core.The restricter is shown in the link below & the picture below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=89+...AUICSgD&biw=360&bih=511#imgrc=2L_xj1qmVNYmQM:

Attachments

#12 ·
OP any progress......come on man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.