Mustang Evolution Forum banner

To chip or not to Chip

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  93slowstang 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 95 GT with a few light mods. It has a CAI, Shorty headers, Off Road H pipe, catback, EGR and smog delete. I have a GT40 intake but it isnt cleaned up and ready to install. Eventually heads and cam will go in when I have the cash. The problem is I idle rough and am running ULTRA rich. My buddy said it smells worse than his 70s nova. I was looking at the BAMA from Americanmuscle. I want to get the fuel leaned out and get rid of the CEL from the EGR delete. The delete module I bought didn't fix it.

#6 ·
There are no tuners for these motors.

Secondly a chip is not worth the money.

You need to find out what is wrong with the car first. Run your codes. It is free and should point you in the right direction as it could be a million and one things and be a simple fix.

A base idle reset is also a good idea.

How did you delete the EGR?

#5 ·
Yes. Removing the cats will definitely make the exhaust smell like the engine is running richer. In reality, it is running exactly the same as when the cats were installed though. The cats were just doing there job of masking the smell. They were not making the engine run any leaner.
However, the EGR delete could possibly cause the engine to run a bit richer during partial throttle driving. It would have no effect on the idle, nor WOT though.

The reason that I think that there is something else wrong with Splogan's engine, is the combination of the rough idle, and the rich condition. Nothing that has been done should cause that.

#8 ·
Simple bolt ons are not worth a chip/tune. You have to have a tune burnt for that combination and not worth the time or effort as the car can handle small changes like intake, headers and exhaust changes. If you wanna have something "piggybacked" then it has to be via a chip and it has to be made for that combo. These older cars are not as sophisticated as the new models and the ecu are way behind on the tech.

#9 ·
The Anderson PMS and the Moates Quarterhorse aren't a chip they are separate ECUs that piggyback. They do plug into the port and allow data logging and tuning capability with a handheld or laptop. The ECC in the 94-95 does not handle light mods as well as a fox body which is likely part of his problems.

#10 ·
I got a QH on my car and it was a good little learning curve trust me. But what the OP has going on is not a tune problem but more mod problem.

The gas smell could be from the delete of the "smog" equipment like the line from the charcoal canister.

Rough idle could be from the EGR delete.

So many small things that need to get straightened out before a "tune" is even needed.

#11 ·
The rough idle is likely from the egr I agree, but he will likely need a chip to correct or he'll have to deal with it until he does the other modifications and then have it tuned. Ive helped with several friends with their builds and some of the cars took the mods without issues and a couple of them had similar issues as the op.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.