too much engine vibration - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
too much engine vibration

i checked for misfires and bad mounts (all good) but it the engine shakes the whole car. mounts are a yr and a half old. when i rev just a little the vibration smooths out until i let off the gas. could my engine be unbalanced? it was built 1 1/2 years ago using new parts and trip to the machine shop. could the timing chain be worn and have too much slack?
Haav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Have you checked your harmonic balancer?
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No, I haven't. Good thinking. What should I be looking for? Wobbling?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 12-12-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Check torque of bolt and look for separation or cracking of material between pulley and center of hub.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I'll take a look after work. Hopefully that's all I need.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Just a couple of thoughts...do you have a manual transmission?
Also, is it at a certain RPM...different RPM's?
Does it happen in neutral at an idle and what about running in gear at the same RPM that you feel vibration smooth out when you rev the motor?
My best guess would be the harmonic balancer, flywheel clutch if you have a manual, driveline or Ujoint...just sounds like a drivetrain issue...IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Great thoughts Rodder. When he said revving engine, I assumed he was setting still, didn't think to ask if he was rolling down the road feeling the vibration.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Just a couple of thoughts...do you have a manual transmission?

Also, is it at a certain RPM...different RPM's?

Does it happen in neutral at an idle and what about running in gear at the same RPM that you feel vibration smooth out when you rev the motor?

My best guess would be the harmonic balancer, flywheel clutch if you have a manual, driveline or Ujoint...just sounds like a drivetrain issue...IMHO

It only really vibrates the most at idle. Smooths out under acceleration. I have a new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and bearings that where installed 2 months ago. sometimes when I stomp on it and get to the power band and hold it there the stick shift shakes like crazy. But what Im mostly worried about is the vibration at idle. I wear glasses and when I pull up to a red light they shake right off lol, yeah it's that bad. I checked my harmonic balancer and didint notice any wobbling in its rotation.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haav2 View Post
It only really vibrates the most at idle. Smooths out under acceleration. I have a new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and bearings that where installed 2 months ago. sometimes when I stomp on it and get to the power band and hold it there the stick shift shakes like crazy. But what Im mostly worried about is the vibration at idle. I wear glasses and when I pull up to a red light they shake right off lol, yeah it's that bad. I checked my harmonic balancer and didint notice any wobbling in its rotation.

Who installed the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel...what bearings are you referring to, throw-out bearing???? Did the car vibrate before the clutch was put in it?????
If the vibration is that severe I wouldn't be driving the car until it gets sorted out as something is really wrong!!!!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

This sounds very worry some to me. Does the vibration change when you push the clutch pedal in and out? Try this setting still while holding RPM at its worst vibration.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

What RPM'S does the engine idle at?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Who installed the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel...what bearings are you referring to, throw-out bearing???? Did the car vibrate before the clutch was put in it?????

If the vibration is that severe I wouldn't be driving the car until it gets sorted out as something is really wrong!!!!

We replaced throw out bearing and pilot bearing and flywheel in hopes of that fixing the vibration. The car vibrated before the clutch change. When the clutch is pressed it does the same. The car idles at 900 to 1000rpm without any surging or rough idle. Back when i built the motor I sent the block to get bored .20 over and ordered forged internals and new crank with arp bolts and fasteners all around from the machine shop. I'm assuming all these parts were balanced as I told the machine shop to order me what I need to keep it reliable but have power. I told them what supercharger and other mods I was gonna use and they did the ordering. But maybe, just maybe one of the internal components aren't properly balanced. I've had this vibration since the motor was built and put in which is almost 2 years ago but I'm finally starting to get annoyed of the shaking.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It's strange that it only vibrates at idle. Did you do the assembly of the engine yourself? Or did the machine shop assemble it?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I assembled it myself

Old 12-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

What motor have you got, is it a 5.0l pushrod motor?
So, you changed the complete rotating assembly, crank, rods, pistons. What harmonic balancer did use use and what flywheel did you use.
If most of the vibration comes at idle I'm wondering if you have a vacuum leak...at idle is when you are pulling the most vacuum on the intake, as the RPM increases it becomes less and less...have you done a leak-down test on the motor after it has been driven? Do the plugs all look the same when you pull them and if you have a roller cam is it hydraulic or solid and when was the last time you checked the valve clearance.
If the lower end forged crank/rods/pistons were purchased as a kit did the machine shop check the balance?
This is after the fact and I'm sorry to rub salt into the wound but if the motor vibrated right after installing it after the rebuild I would have taken it back...this just sounds very strange...IMHO
Old 12-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Since the engine was assembled at home, I don't know if there would have been much that the machine shop could have done... Other than tell Haav2 to remove the engine, disassemble it, and bring it to them so they could take a look at it.

I agree. First, there needs to be a comprehensive diagnosis performed on the engine to determine if there is something mechanically wrong that is causing it to vibrate. Along with the leak down/compression test, I recommend hooking up a vacuum gauge to check if there is a problem with the valve train.
In a year and a half, you have probably double checked everything, but you really should go over all of the work that you did again... WITH A FINE TOOTHED COMB!!! And check for any trouble codes.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Have you checked the part number on the balancer to make sure its the correct one?? Mistakes are made by distributers and parts store employees quite often that causes the wrong part to be placed in the package,like putting a balancer with a 28oz imbalance in a box thats suppose to have a 50oz balancer,etc.

Is the transmission mount good?? A bad tranny mount can let vibration travel.Does the vibration stop if you push the clutch pedal down??

Have you taken the serpentine belt off then start the car & let it idle,to see if the vibration goes away??

Loose flywheel bolts can also cause vibration,but youll usually hear an intermittent knocking or clunking noise at idle & deceleration.
80mm maf/70mm tb
1 5/8" Longtubes
Cat Hpipe/2 Chamber FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

too much engine vibration

Old 12-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Haav2, Your post is like your engine vibration.
What happened?
Old 12-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry about that. Last couple days I've been investigating the car and trying different things. The vibration could just be the mounts, even though they're new ,I've been reading about the mounts I have which are Anchor brand. Every where I look there are bad reviews.

Thinking of buying poly mounts. They say they make vibration but I've experienced the worst. Anything at this point will help. I hope it's just the mounts. If not I'm gonna have to pull the engine again and meticulously inspect every thing.

Day before yesterday me and a friend pulled out the carpet, door panels trunk area, and put in some of this sound and vibration deadening mat all over the interior of the car. Buttoned it all up and now all the interior vibration of the plastic parts have drastically disappeared. Car still shakes though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT