Need Some Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Need Some Help

I've got a 1990 Mustang LX Notch back with the 2.3l 4 cylinder. It's been running fine lately, but yesterday I ran into a problem. When I put the key in, I have all accessory power. When I go to start it, I get one click and the entire car looses power, but when I turn the key back to the "run" position, all my power is restored. The starter is only a month old, never had a problem with it starting until now. Only thing I can think of is checking the battery, replacing the positive and negative wires, and checking the ground from the block to the chassis. Thoughts?
Hallows94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think that you are on the right track. Have the battery tested and make sure that all of the battery cable connections are clean and tight.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Might be the ignition switch.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 11:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
With multimeter leads connected to the battery posts,the battery should read:
Engine off- 12.6+ volts
Idle to 2000rpm= 13.5-14.7 volts
If the battery reads less than 12.6 volts,it needs to be recharged on a trickle charger or replaced.If the battery & battery cables pass,there are a few other things to check.

The solenoid (mounted to the fender apron) is case grounded.That means, it grounds by making metal to metal contact with the fender apron.Make sure its bolt is tight and theres no corrosion between it and the fender apron.If its not grounding,its not gonna output power.

If the solenoid is grounded good,check its function.
Remove the red/blue wire from the small post on the solenoid,connect the - meter lead to a good ground,connect the + meter lead to the red/blue wire,have an assistant press the clutch pedal down then turn the key to the crank position.
The meter should read 12 volts with the key in the crank position.
If it doesnt,disconnect the wiring harness from the clutch safety switch,insert a 5amp fuse into the wiring harness terminals then turn the key to the crank position again.Does the meter read 12 volts now??
If no,the ignition switch is bad.
If yes,the clutch safety switch is bad.
BTW-the ignition switch is the metal/plastic part mounted to the steering column with a large wiring harness attached.Dont confuse it with the ignition lock cylinder that you insert the key into.

If the red/blue wire had 12 volts during the original/initial test,leave the wire disconnected,turn the key on,grab a long screwdriver and lay it across the large post on the solenoid(that the + battery cable connects to) and the small post on the solenoid(that the red/blue wire connects to) Did the starter turn over??
If no,the solenoid is bad.
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT