Mustang Evolution Forum banner

89 gt problems

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  NoTop5.0 
#1 ·
I have hard problem with my 89 gt,
So when I do a cold start it starts up good but when I drive it for over 15 mins,I turn it off it won't start till it cools down for over 30 mins.
Done lots of things too it but I can't find the problem does anyone have an idea what it can be??
(Done to it)
-upgraded starter
-3G alternator
-computer
-fuel pump
-fuel filter
-distributor
-ignition switch
-ignition coil
-fuel rail & more
But I can't find the problem and I feel like I'm just spending money

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#4 ·
Does it sound weak like the battery is going dead? A friend of mine had that problem after a battery relocation and upgraded alt and I found out that his grounds were toast. So made 2 new ones and mounted them to a nice clean piece of steel and problem fixed.

Now you should run your codes and see if that shines any light onto the situation. Might be ignition or might be fuel.

Need a hair more info here.

#8 ·
TFI modules go bad sometimes and wreck havoc even on a new/rebuilt dizzy.

#10 ·
I went through 3 brand new msd dizzys, my car does not run well with them no matter what. I threw a motorcraft on, she runs smoother than diarrhea. It honestly sounds like the TFI module to me as I had the same issue couple weeks ago. Is the problem intermittent? Sounds like when the module gets hot, it shuts the car off. There's some places that'll test the TFI for you for free. Just to nip that one in the butt, wouldn't hurt to pull it off and get it tested

If you ain't first, you're last!

#13 ·
So you should theoretically be able to start it with the key ignition in the 'ON' position', parking brake on, transmission in neutral if a manual trans, and jump the starter relay in the inner fender.
The way I would try to trace it is have someone crank the engine, and with a test light or voltmeter, verify the PCM relay hotside, fuel pump relay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.