Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Need help! Ecu might be fried!

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Haav2 
#1 ·
I’m in need of help here. Today as I was looking to find my idle surging/ random shut off issue, I applied 12v with a power probe to the red or orange wire from the tps sensor and the car shut off. After I started the car back up the car wouldn’t stay on without throttle and it sounded really bad, can smell gas averywhere and smoke was coming out of the tail pipes. I un plugged the maf to just to see if I might have fried it but there were no changes. Perhaps I fired it. But maybe I might have fried my ecu which caused the maf to not work. I have an 89 Mustang 5.0l mt. As of now the ecu is hot to the touch and I am lost and don’t know what to do. What does that orange wire from the tps sensor go to? Btw it read 5v before I stupidly ran 12v to it. Any help will be appreciated.

#2 ·
My computer was infact fried. i bought one this afternoon for $169 at napa. only difference was that my old computer said: e9zf-12a650-a2a. new ecu ends in aa instead of a2a. it all works, only difference i feel now is that i don't have as much top end power as it used to with the old computer, i could be wrong but I'm going to keep checking on it as i drive.

#4 ·
Yeah that is a manual tranny ecu. I would still run your KOEO/KOER tests and a cylinder balance just to be sure all is good. Also maybe a good visual check out of the wires as to make sure nothing is bare or touching.

What made your other ECU go bye bye?

#5 ·
I was looking to see why my car would shut off after diving for a few miles, thought it was something with the tps, I applied 12v with a power probe to the red wire of the tps and the car shut off. Do Not apply voltage to the red wire of the tps!

The car could barely run without applying gas. I opened My old computer and saw a shorted resistor or diode. I also noticed that the ecu had a diablosort chipmaster revolution delta installed, I had no idea it was in there the whole 4 years I?ve owned the car. no control knobs coming out of it though. I removed the chip and tried to start the car and it was still doing the same thing. Maybe the chip is still good?

So I started looking for another Ecu. I have yet to put this chip in the ecu, perhaps it will give me my top end power back? And maybe I can learn more about this chip and update it due to the extensive build I?ve done to the engine. The funny thing is, my car doesn?t shut off anymore. Maybe this needed to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.