95 GT running bad - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
95 GT running bad

Ok guys a buddy picked up a 95 GT the other day. Great looking car and runs awsome sometimes, runs great if you get on it slowly but if you take off easy and lay into it it falls on its face, only does this once in awhile not all the time. Any suggestions on what to look for, doesnt look like its been tuned up in awhile. He is also looking to do some upgrades but a little low on cash since he just bought the car and it took all his money,lol. Its pretty much stock other than UDP's and exhaust. I'll tell you what he was looking at doing and let me know what you think. BBK 65mm TB and CAI, tune up- plugs,wires and cap & rotor < (suggestions on type to buy), and a chip or programmer, we dont have any shops around here to get a good tune or any of that so we are pretty much on our own when it comes to fixing. Also what is a good setting for the timing on a pretty much stock 5.0. thanks to all for any help you can provide.
wvstang5.0ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Re: 95 GT running bad

The mods listed are good. I would recommend a mid pipe and cat back exhaust (brands and types depend on what sound is wanted, his choice).....aftermarket mid pipes really open up the exhaust, and I would recommend gears as well. There really isn't a tuner for 95 because it's OBD I so you would need to get a chip, which I would get from a dyno run not just a mail order tune. My mom had a mail order on her 94 GT and it ran like ****, put the stock chip back in and it runs fine now. As for the tune up, motorcraft spark plugs (5.0's don't run well with denso/more expensive plugs), Ford Racing 9 MM plug wires are nice and not too expensive. Stock cap and rotor are quality pieces as well, no need to get too fancy there. You can go with MSD or any upgrade for the cap and rotor but not really a need. Timing stock is 10 degrees base which is good to run at. Even 12 degrees starts to ping on 87 octane (every car is different). I messed with mine before and the most you can really run is 15 or 16 degrees base (on 93 octane) but because the car isn't tuned to run on 93 so you will see a noticable loss in gas milage.
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut95 View Post
The mods listed are good. I would recommend a mid pipe and cat back exhaust (brands and types depend on what sound is wanted, his choice).....aftermarket mid pipes really open up the exhaust, and I would recommend gears as well. There really isn't a tuner for 95 because it's OBD I so you would need to get a chip, which I would get from a dyno run not just a mail order tune. My mom had a mail order on her 94 GT and it ran like ****, put the stock chip back in and it runs fine now. As for the tune up, motorcraft spark plugs (5.0's don't run well with denso/more expensive plugs), Ford Racing 9 MM plug wires are nice and not too expensive. Stock cap and rotor are quality pieces as well, no need to get too fancy there. You can go with MSD or any upgrade for the cap and rotor but not really a need. Timing stock is 10 degrees base which is good to run at. Even 12 degrees starts to ping on 87 octane (every car is different). I messed with mine before and the most you can really run is 15 or 16 degrees base (on 93 octane) but because the car isn't tuned to run on 93 so you will see a noticable loss in gas milage.
great thanks for the info, he does have shorty's, BBK H-pipe w Flows and tail pipes. We are kinda screwed on the dyno run cause there is none even close to us that I know of I have been searching myself. Any thoughts on the engine miss when mashed down? also whats your thoughts on a bigger throttle body and a CAI ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

contact stanger007 on this site, he is our head tuner and he is burning awesome tunes on a mailorder type basis,difference is when we strapped one on the dyno, it barely needed any adjustments, hands down the most precise mailorder -type program i have ever seen. contact him and he will hook you up
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Quote:
great thanks for the info, he does have shorty's, BBK H-pipe w Flows and tail pipes. We are kinda screwed on the dyno run cause there is none even close to us that I know of I have been searching myself. Any thoughts on the engine miss when mashed down? also whats your thoughts on a bigger throttle body and a CAI ?
It sounds like it just needs a good tune up to me. if that doesn't help, then we can go down some different paths.......65mm is a good size, you don't need to go much bigger unless your doing forced induction or are heavily modified....BBK, Accufab (not sure of their quality), Ford Racing. I would go with the BBK but thats me. CAI is basically his choice again, they're all about the same. MAC, BBK, even the cheap ones off American Muscle work well. If he is going to do these upgrades, do them, and then get a chip burned for all the mods done to the car. or wait until he is done modding for a while because a new tune will be required if he adds more power adders.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

great thanks everyone for the info
Old 08-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I don't mean any offense.
everyone likes they're brands and all, but
BBK is junk compared to anything accufab makes
I've heard ford racing quality is better than accufab but the largest they make is 65mm, good for a stock or lightly modded 302.
Holley also makes a good TB, you will need to open the wallet for one of those however.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT