Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Rear main seal

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  imps 
#1 ·
Another question, whats the best rear main seal for a 1993 5.0l engine? I dont want any leaks. I put a ford racing one in last time and i pulled the trans recently and i see its seeping oil already! Anyone have an opinion? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#2 ·
The lip of the rear seal can wear a groove on the machined surface of the crankshaft over time, and replacing the seal will help for a short time and then it will begin to leak again.
If your crank does indeed have a slight groove where the lip of the seal makes contact, the best way to repair it, that I am aware of, is to remove the crank from the engine and have a machine shop cut a series of diagonal knurls on the machined seal surface in a direction so that they are constantly trying to pull the oil back inside of the crank case as the crankshaft rotates.
A competent automotive machine shop will know exactly how to do it, and it really works well for a grooved crank.
Of course, the most convenient time to do this would be during an engine rebuild.
Other than that, I am not aware of any repair sleeves, or anything of that nature, for the rear seal, like are available to repair the harmonic balancer.

#5 ·
Like the others said if it is worn and has a lip or just not sealing there is a repair sleeve sold that should buy you some time. I have used it with success a couple of time on some other cars. It is also not to expensive like 50 bucks. Also make sure that is where the leak is from.

#6 ·
The windsor engines are notorious for rear main seal leaks. There is a reason Ford did the design they did on the 4.6L...

#8 ·
Get the Ford one. They'll both leak lol. If its just seeping that's normal. Any 5.0 I used to have would have a tiny wet spot of oil in the driveway if it sat a few days. If its not leaking... its empty. Just check the oil level every weekend and top off if needed.

#12 ·
Gotta disagree with you, sorry. I worked for many years in the sealing industry, and learned that for every case of inability to seal a rotating shaft assembly, there could be traced a fault causing it. Leakage is not "acceptable".

#10 ·
Put a drip pan down then. What we do for our aircraft engines when we pull a plane in the hangar lol.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.