Rear main seal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Rear main seal

Another question, whats the best rear main seal for a 1993 5.0l engine? I dont want any leaks. I put a ford racing one in last time and i pulled the trans recently and i see its seeping oil already! Anyone have an opinion? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The lip of the rear seal can wear a groove on the machined surface of the crankshaft over time, and replacing the seal will help for a short time and then it will begin to leak again.
If your crank does indeed have a slight groove where the lip of the seal makes contact, the best way to repair it, that I am aware of, is to remove the crank from the engine and have a machine shop cut a series of diagonal knurls on the machined seal surface in a direction so that they are constantly trying to pull the oil back inside of the crank case as the crankshaft rotates.
A competent automotive machine shop will know exactly how to do it, and it really works well for a grooved crank.
Of course, the most convenient time to do this would be during an engine rebuild.
Other than that, I am not aware of any repair sleeves, or anything of that nature, for the rear seal, like are available to repair the harmonic balancer.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thank you. About a year or two ago i had the lower end rebuilt. They were supposed to check that and repair if necessary. I had told them i had an issue with it. ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The lip of the rear seal can wear a groove on the machined surface of the crankshaft over time, and replacing the seal will help for a short time and then it will begin to leak again.
If your crank does indeed have a slight groove where the lip of the seal makes contact, the best way to repair it, that I am aware of, is to remove the crank from the engine and have a machine shop cut a series of diagonal knurls on the machined seal surface in a direction so that they are constantly trying to pull the oil back inside of the crank case as the crankshaft rotates.
A competent automotive machine shop will know exactly how to do it, and it really works well for a grooved crank.
Of course, the most convenient time to do this would be during an engine rebuild.
Other than that, I am not aware of any repair sleeves, or anything of that nature, for the rear seal, like are available to repair the harmonic balancer.
In most cases, the "press-fit" of the seal O.D. allows room enough to install the seal to a depth appropriate to it's lip riding next to the seal surface groove.
65 k car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Like the others said if it is worn and has a lip or just not sealing there is a repair sleeve sold that should buy you some time. I have used it with success a couple of time on some other cars. It is also not to expensive like 50 bucks. Also make sure that is where the leak is from.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
The windsor engines are notorious for rear main seal leaks. There is a reason Ford did the design they did on the 4.6L...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. Thank you. One more thing, whats peoples opinion on a ford racing rear main seal or a fel pro teflon one? The felpro is about $30 more - why? Is it that much better?

Old 01-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Get the Ford one. They'll both leak lol. If its just seeping that's normal. Any 5.0 I used to have would have a tiny wet spot of oil in the driveway if it sat a few days. If its not leaking... its empty. Just check the oil level every weekend and top off if needed.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lmao. Ok. Thanks but leaks drive me freaking crazy and i just got new concrete in my driveway! Lol

Old 01-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Put a drip pan down then. What we do for our aircraft engines when we pull a plane in the hangar lol.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had the crankshaft in my 460 machined as I described above, and used a Felpro seal. It still doesn't leak after 21 years and 430k+ miles.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Get the Ford one. They'll both leak lol. If its just seeping that's normal. Any 5.0 I used to have would have a tiny wet spot of oil in the driveway if it sat a few days. If its not leaking... its empty. Just check the oil level every weekend and top off if needed.
Gotta disagree with you, sorry. I worked for many years in the sealing industry, and learned that for every case of inability to seal a rotating shaft assembly, there could be traced a fault causing it. Leakage is not "acceptable".
Old 01-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Engine Crankshaft Repair Sleeve | JEGS
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 k car View Post
Gotta disagree with you, sorry. I worked for many years in the sealing industry, and learned that for every case of inability to seal a rotating shaft assembly, there could be traced a fault causing it. Leakage is not "acceptable".
Yes but they ALL get like that after awhile, at least in my experience. Little seepage is fine, just check the level and make sure its good.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yes but they ALL get like that after awhile, at least in my experience. Little seepage is fine, just check the level and make sure its good.

My boss years ago, a formidably competent M.E., (he designed and built Formula cars) headed up the Victor Oil Seal R & D Group. He knew more about oil seal technology than anyone else I recall. His pet phrase about why oil seal design to begin with is fraught with problems often, was "Rubber is Magic, and rubber oil seals are F. Magic........

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT