Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Stalling when hot

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  straybullitt 
#1 ·
I got my self a small problem and could need some help.

I have a 1994 GT 5.0HO that is automatic. When the car is hot and I switch from D to R It wants to stall on me ! I have changed rotor,cap ,wires and coil, also the PCV valve kit. I might have a vacuum problem but I am not shure! Anybody got and idea ? Other then that, the car runs fine .

#2 ·
Does it only try to stall when shifting to reverse from drive?
How about from park to drive? Or park to reverse?
What are the engine RPM's when the car is warmed up and idling in park?
What are the RPM's when the car is idling with the transmission in drive?
Is the idle steady? Or does it move up and down a bit?

#3 ·
It only wants to stall when shifting from Drive to reverse when it is hot (normal temperature). Other wise, everything is ok and the idle is normal at around 800rpm. From Park to drive i have just a little hump but nothing serious.
And the idle on park, neutral or if I am at a stop signis very stable! Does not move up and down.

#5 ·
It seems like the engine is running good, and keeping a good idle with the exception of the gear change from forward to reverse.
Since it sounds like you can easily replicate the problem, you should get the car good and hot and take it to a reputable transmission shop in your area, and have them take a look at it and give you their opinion on whether the stalling might be caused by a problem with the transmission/torque converter.

#7 ·
Idle air control maybe.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.