95' Cobra SVT Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to xspektrex Send a message via MSN to xspektrex Send a message via Yahoo to xspektrex
Exclamation 95' Cobra SVT Problems

just paid 7g's for 95' Cobra SVT (240hp V8) with 114,000 miles:

Known Problems:

- Really hard/irregular idle even for a CAM change
- Fuel/Air gauge on dash is reading lean when:
--> during idle and acceleration
- Fuel/Air gauge on dash is reading rich when:
--> during driving when coasting (no gas pedal contact)
- Smell of Gas constantly while driving
- Exhaust Leak on Passenger Side
- Bad vibration during 4000-5000rpm range (every gear)
- Popping sound (not trans mount) during some shifts
- Low Grade Alternator (Sound System Seems to be Maxing it)
- Low Grade Battery (Speed Star???) (who the hell does this?)
- AC clutch never engages but pulley on compress moving fine

Known Mods on Stang:

- MSD ignition
- N.O.S (not direct jet) - (currently not using)
- CAM of unknown manufacturer
- Headers and straight pipes
- Cold Air Induction (wheel well, not the fake ****e)
--> Stock MAF ()
- High Performance Tranny (unknown manufacturer at this time)
- High Performance Clutch (unknown manufacture at this time)
- Possible High Performance Fuel Pump

Ready to get my baby in tiptop like she needs to be so any advice or known fixes would be great.

I know the MAF needs to be "Pro-M" for the CAI...it's in the mail!

Thanks,...
xspektrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: 95' Cobra SVT Problems

One thing that will help is a tune. More specificly a dyno tune.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

if it has stock gears, i'd say go for a set of 3.73 or 4.10's

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to xspektrex Send a message via MSN to xspektrex Send a message via Yahoo to xspektrex

...that's not all that helpful plus i don't wanna spend money on a dyno right now. Dropped 2 paychecks on her and i'm broke so ineed some decent advice (mechanically) to get me on the right path...Ima hook her up to an ODB2 terminal today and get some error/fault codes flowing...
Old 08-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

When you get the codes post them and we should be able to help more. It tough diagnosing over the web.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

went and borrowed and actron OBDII and the code reader error'd trying to comm. with the pcm/ecu/whatever they call it...hehe...so...

I figure there may be a software flash in it that locks out scanners etc...

*MSD-Ignition*H-Pipe*Shortie BBK Headers*40-Series Flowies*8.8" Rear*3.27 Gears*C4*Stock T-Handle*
Old 08-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

fix the exhaust leak or you will never get an accurate afr reading especially if the leak is at the head. Do you have a wide band afr gaugeor a narrow band? Check all of the free items you can check ie.. plugs (including the gap)wires, cap ,rotor ,timing ,vacuum lines, fluids. Eliminate all of your free possibilites first then fix the known issues such as the ex leak. Your 3rd step will be a tune, either a mail order tune or a dyno tune would be a very good investment. Contact us at TPS Performance and we will build you a tune that will correct any afr and drivability issues you may have with the tuning.
Benjytps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
went and borrowed and actron OBDII and the code reader error'd trying to comm. with the pcm/ecu/whatever they call it...hehe...so...

I figure there may be a software flash in it that locks out scanners etc...
95 is still OBD I so the scanner you plugged in won't work. I know the diagnostic ports are there for OBD II but ford was just getting ready for 96. You can get a code scanner for OBD I but you have to sit there and count the beeps and their length, then look them up in the book that comes with it.

95 GT- Sold
Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

You're best bet would be to take the AFR gauge and throw it in the trash. Judging by the other parts on the car, it is probably a cheap Autozone narrow band meter that will do you more good in a landfill than it will on the car. They are extremely inaccurate and are probably giving you false information about what the car is really doing.

For the other issues, start out fixing what you know is wrong: the exhaust leak. That, along with running rich, is probably where your smell of gas is coming from. Then if you haven't already done so, give the car a full tune-up with plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, a transmission flush, all the fun stuff.

Next, reset your base idle. Follow the procedures here: The Corral - 302/351 Idle Adjustment and Reset

Also, take a look at your fuel injectors and see what color the caps are. The 95 Cobra should have 24# injectors, which will have a blue top. 19# injectors are yellow and 30# injectors are red. You will have to ensure that you get the correct MAF to match your injector size. Also be aware that the Cobras have a different ECU than the GTs that are calibrated to work with the injectors. This means you need to ensure that the MAF you are buying will work correctly with not only the injectors, but also the Cobra ECU. You will probably need to do some more research to find exactly which MAF you need.

As for some of the other items, I'd also take the straight pipes off and place them right next to the AFR gauge in the dumpster. Then invest in either a catted or non-catted X or H pipe (lots of options here depending on personal preference). You will gain power and have a much better sound (IMO) than the straight pipes. If the "popping sound during shifts" is coming from the exhaust (which it very likely is with straight pipes), this will fix it.

As for the alternator, the stock alternator is a 3G 130 Amp alternator. You shouldn't be having any problems with it outputting enough juice. If so, you may have a wiring problem.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:35 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Unhappy Re: 95' Cobra SVT Problems

What a fun day...Throw out bearing is going bad now...so ima replace the throw-out-bearing, clutch plate, and flywhell all in one hit; roughly 700bux for premier ****e but worth it in the long run. Changed out the IAT, for literally no change in running condition even though the IAT was burnt up due to a poor install on the CAI. Previous owner installed a CAI where it goes a lil sumtin like this:

wheel well -> MAF (80mm); MAF-> IAT (bevel from 70-80mm); IAT-> Throttle Body (80mm bevel to 70mm)

what where they thinking causing a trainwreck of air before,during,and after imp. sensors.....2:2:2:

Research has shown that even the "narrowband" FAR is good for sumthing so long as the 02 sensor it's hookd to isn't blown... (im sure it is at this point). Still however going to invest in a wideband digital FAR that also does a few other neat tricks.

As far as running lean im at a loss...I'm taking a shot in the dark and saying alot of that is coming from the incorrect MAF and B.S. CAI install.

As for the injectors, they are 24# and look to be in good shape considering the age of the car...(still going to buy new ones when I can).

Something has "got-to-give"!!! 50miles/quarter tank of gas is B.S.

Keep picking your brains gent's as I am a mustang noob (owned everything but, so I made the conversion back to American Muscle)

*MSD-Ignition*H-Pipe*Shortie BBK Headers*40-Series Flowies*8.8" Rear*3.27 Gears*C4*Stock T-Handle*
Old 08-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Something has "got-to-give"!!! 50miles/quarter tank of gas is B.S.
I use a 1/4 of gas around 50 miles when im driving around town. I think that is about all you're going to get, haha.Highway is different though obviously

95 GT- Sold
Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

just did some "in-town" driving for 2-days and got 72 miles to 1/2 tank roughly...coming from 07' VW GTI MKV I think I just need to get use to 5.0L 240hp engine as opposed to the MKV's 2.0T w/200hp (turbo'd 4-cyl). It got about 200miles to 1/2 tank "in-town" and "highway" driving combined. Just hurts a lil with gas prices the way they are u know...She's so pretty and needs to be seen and heard!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Smile Re: 95' Cobra SVT Problems

For the RECORD...you guys rock! I know my baby needs some work and I might possibly become annoying within this forum with an over abundance of questions (pro from yesteryear turned noob). Just wanna let you stangers know I appreciate all the advice and thoughts given thus far. I'll need plenty more I'm sure...just bear with me; I'll get there. Just on what ya'll have told me so far and research regarding your thoughts I have learned and retained alot. I almost feel like tearing down the engine and puttin er' back together again just to kill time.

Again though, THANKS!!!
You Guys Rock!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thats not to bad i get 80 on half a tank city and highway combined. Now on highway alone i get 24 mpg.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Question New to the Narrow and Wide Band FAR's

Done alot of research on the narrow and wide band FAR's and compared what I see on mine to what others say they do. My "phantom" narrow-band seems to always run in the red "lean" when into the pedal be it hard or not. The only time it is running in the yellow "Stoich" is when coasting or sitting still at idle. I have yet to see it within the green "Rich" area. The gauge itself is digital and professionally installed but I'm trying to determine the source of the vehicle running lean. Now, based on mid-level mechanic knowledge I know the smell of gas would indicate a running "rich" condition and not "lean". Any ideas aside from the obvious like the fuel filter/fuel pump? Possibly an injector detinating early? Also the interior of the car is getting really hot. If the windows are up your sweating and the windows are fogging. Common with ponies or big arse engines?

Hit me with knowledge gents, hit me hard...

Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Re: 95' Cobra SVT Problems

----------------------------------------------
KOEO (Key Off Engine Off) Code Scan Results
----------------------------------------------
- 111 -> System Pass. No problem found by computer during KOEO Self-Test.

---------------------------------------------------
CMC (Continuous Memory Codes) Code Scan Results
----------------------------------------------------
- 172 -> Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen (HEGO) Sensor – voltage signal indicates running “lean” (Bank #1)

- 177 -> Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen (HEGO) Sensor – voltage signal indicates running “rich” (Bank #2)

- 181 -> Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen (HEGO) Sensor – voltage signal not switching: indicates “lean” during part throttle engine operation (Bank #1)

- 186 -> Injector pulse width lower than expected or Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor signal is lower than expected

-189 -> Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen (HEGO) Sensor – voltage signal not switching: indicates “lean” during part throttle engine operation (Bank #2)

-------------------------------------------------
KOER (Key On Engine Running) Code Scan Results
-------------------------------------------------
- 4 -> Indicates V8 Engine

- 314 -> Thermactor Air System inactive during Engine Run Self-Test (Bank #2 with dual oxygen sensors)

Seems like the issues are interrelated to the MAF and O2 sensors; if this is the case I'm smiling cause that's not so exspensive to fix. Your thoughts gents.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Sounds like you definitely want to swap out your O2's....once those codes go away, it would be interesting to see if the MAF code goes away since the computer will not be puking on itself with all the O2 codes. It very well could be just a secondary code being thrown because the computer is going nuts trying to figure out the O2 situation.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

soon as the paycheck come a rollin in next week. those pieces of $h!t are outta there. Also my sync in the trans is going out so i get to look forward to replacing the throw-out bearing, flywhell, throw-out-fork, and whatever else i find. Thirdly, third gear I believe has a bust/fragment. gotta hold the shifter in third until the clutch comes all the way out or the bastard will pop out. Trans makes a whining sound all the time too. I suspect the fluid has gotten dangerously low.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Correct me if im wrong but thats a T5 and arent those junk?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

to be honest I don't know yet. Waiting on paycheck to get some ramps to get under the hoss. She's been lowered and has a body kit so nobody can get under her. I was told the trans and clutch were changed to performance items but I'm starting to believe otherwise. I'll let you know bro...

Old 08-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

T5s aren't total junk. They just aren't made from the factory to handle tons of torque. My car makes probably ~300 rwhp and more torque, and I've never had any problems at all out of my T5. And it's got probably 150k miles on it now.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Smile Re: 95' Cobra SVT Problems

Alright gents....tranny finally died!!!

no power to rear-end, still shiftable, still engage clutch to crank...yey!!!

going to get a "g-force" rebuild on the T5 along with the correct alignment and balancing on the trans; and button clutch with 3stack clutchplate.

did get a looksie under her low arse and found out she has "h-pipes" with bossini, and a double reinforced subframe.

also took out the near150lb sound system and b.s NOS install to free up some hp/torque...

i'll be posting pics of the underside (front to back) and the rebuilt trans/clucth assembly for all the "need to see/know" your hearts may or may not desire...

Wish me luck...I'm goin in!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Unhappy Tranny Issues Un-Resolved

Alright guys, the new centerforce clutch system is in place along with a centerforce throw out bearing and "RAM" pilot bearing (alignment tool used). New clutch grabs like fat chix on chicken. Ongoing issues now are the grinding going into (3rd) gear on upshifts and downshifts. But...., if the shift takes place at 3000 rpm's the shift is clean. Any higher/lower and all you get is GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, and you have to bail into 4th.

2:Second gear seems to be tricky at times by popping out in low rpm's not always but sometimes.

Debates seems to result in the "synchro" going out or has gone out...

Any suggestions?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Gonna have to say syncros. Mine was doing the same thing. Until all the sudden i had no 3rd. So you might want to be careful when you shift.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #25

I just sold my 94 Cobra, so I can toss in my 2 cents worth. As for the mileage, with a essentially stock motor, (CAI, 70mm TB, short tubes, BBK high flows and Mangna Flo cat back) and 3.55's, I was getting around 225 miles per tank in town. I had to replace my mass air 2 years ago, and then the eecu failed. The 94-95 eecu's were unique to the SVT's and I had a hard time finding a replacement. I had the car dyno-tuned and a custom chip burned when I first bought it in 04, and the chip would not work in the replacement eecu. However, with the new eecu the car ran better than ever, which makes me doubt how effective the custom made chip was, and if it could have caused the eecu to crash.

Most of the advice sounds good, just attack one thing at a time, and be sure the parts that have been added to the car are compatible. I hated to part with my Cobra, but replaced it with an 09 Bullitt. Good luck, the 5 liter Cobra's are sweet rides.
lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Question 95' Cobra SVT Idle Problems

2:Alrighty guys...as far as the tranny goes second pops (it's about gone), input and output retainer bearings almost shot. Ive got a rebuild kit from hanlon motorsports in the mail and a new second gear behind it. From here the powertrain should be back to new.

Outside of that lil' tidbit I'm curious if anyone knows what-n-da-he$$ controls the idle between shifts or while the clutch is in. So far with the cam the car idle's comfortably at 1000 with no rough up/down's. However, while in motion and coming to a stop or engaging the clutch to prepare for an oncoming slow ar$e driver the engine idle hangs at about 2000 making shifter play kinda grindy...hehe...I know this is not ordinary since none of my other cars did it and was foaming at the mouth for some advice...

Any at all rox bro's...

Old 10-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Talking Re: 95' Cobra SVT Problems

Yey...bought a new tranny fo about $500 (WC-and rebuilt/painted)...
tranny is as follows...

eBay Motors: Rebuilt World Class T5 (item 150297212954 end time Sep-25-08 21:08:44 PDT)

eBay Motors: Rebuilt World Class T5 (item 150297212954 end time Sep-25-08 21:08:44 PDT)

I'll let you guy's know what the 0-60,RWHP, and Dymo testing results are as soon as possible...

Old 10-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #28

Region: Florida

if you want a bullet proof t-5 astro, sells a rebuild kit, gears, shafts, bearings ect. handles lots of hp depending on your application..
bubbafinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #29

Region: Arizona

Did anyone help this gentleman with his engine ramping up to 2 grand when he has to slow down. My 94 does the same. Checked the throttle linkage from the pedal to the throttle body and no binding problem. In order to save the throwout bearing and pressure plate, I disengage the transmission and apply the brakes. Easlier to replace pads than clutch workings.
SOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Red face Re: 95' Cobra SVT Problems

Got Stiffed on two tranny's so far so ima put in a TKO600. My question is:

Other than a bellhousing (which one), adjustable crossmember (which one), and 28->31 spline drive shaft converter; what else may or may not need to be done.

Will the centerforce Stage II, Dual Friction, button clutch hold up?

Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Angry Re: 95' Cobra SVT Problems

2:

Let it be known that today another member of the ford family has passed away.
please follow the link below for detailed images of the death of a 95' Cobra SVT:

Mustang Evolution - xspektrex's Album: Heads n Block

Due to loss of my job, car, and no backup money the car will not be fixed!
I Appreciate any and all help provided thus far from all members.

Happy Ford'n,

Harley Derrett

Old 02-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #32

Region: Alabama

That's the thing that sucks about buying a car with mods. already done. Ya really dont know what all is done to the car. Also the T-5's in those cars aren't junk mine has lasted 209,000 miles. I paid 6,500 for my 1995 Cobra with 120k miles 8 years ago. The A/F narrow band gauges will not give you accurate readings 99% of the time their a ricer toy gauge. Also with the problems on your car sounds like it's been through a lot. If the stock Atlernator is on the car and you have subs then your putting a strain on the alternator. Looks like you need a 200amp atl. from PA performance. Exhaust leak is serious and hurts performance. The fuel pump well the way to chack it is if its loud like a chevy silverado then its probably a walbro 255lph which is a popular mod.
Overall sounds like ya got some work straightening out all the kinks. Hope everything come together for ya and it doesnt cause you constant problems.
good luck
Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #33
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspektrex View Post
just paid 7g's for 95' Cobra SVT (240hp V8) with 114,000 miles:

Known Problems:

- Really hard/irregular idle even for a CAM change
- Fuel/Air gauge on dash is reading lean when:
--> during idle and acceleration
- Fuel/Air gauge on dash is reading rich when:
--> during driving when coasting (no gas pedal contact)
- Smell of Gas constantly while driving
- Exhaust Leak on Passenger Side
- Bad vibration during 4000-5000rpm range (every gear)
- Popping sound (not trans mount) during some shifts
- Low Grade Alternator (Sound System Seems to be Maxing it)
- Low Grade Battery (Speed Star???) (who the hell does this?)
- AC clutch never engages but pulley on compress moving fine

Known Mods on Stang:

- MSD ignition
- N.O.S (not direct jet) - (currently not using)
- CAM of unknown manufacturer
- Headers and straight pipes
- Cold Air Induction (wheel well, not the fake ****e)
--> Stock MAF ()
- High Performance Tranny (unknown manufacturer at this time)
- High Performance Clutch (unknown manufacture at this time)
- Possible High Performance Fuel Pump

Ready to get my baby in tiptop like she needs to be so any advice or known fixes would be great.

I know the MAF needs to be "Pro-M" for the CAI...it's in the mail!

Thanks,...
so i just now chekd out this thread..all before your **** blew up.. obviously u figured out the 90% of your problems was from your motor gettn ready to grenade... it definatley explains alot. i feel for u dude. you should be a happy camper when its all back together...bbunt is right though, u gotta get rid of the straight pipe, stangs dont like them much... and he is also right bout the afr meter. they will never work right if you dont have the correct o2 sensor to match..splicing them into oem sensors doesnt work, they have to have a dedicated..they look cool as hell though, wether they work right or not..lol.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
so i just now chekd out this thread..all before your **** blew up.. obviously u figured out the 90% of your problems was from your motor gettn ready to grenade... it definatley explains alot. i feel for u dude. you should be a happy camper when its all back together...bbunt is right though, u gotta get rid of the straight pipe, stangs dont like them much... and he is also right bout the afr meter. they will never work right if you dont have the correct o2 sensor to match..splicing them into oem sensors doesnt work, they have to have a dedicated..they look cool as hell though, wether they work right or not..lol.

Hehe, she got offroad H-Pipe shortly after that post and both 02's got replaced along with afr getting unhooked and shorted to just bounce back and forth to "look-cool". thanks for looking at the original post tho

Old 03-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Alrighty....

Today:
I set TDC and distributor rotor to plug wire #1
I got the cobra to turn over and run on it's own today!
Now a few details of concern::

1.) Car will idle on it's own if i don't hit the gas until it's warm (normal)
2.) The idle seems to be normal (1000rpm) but a lil rough
3.) I'm confident the timing is a bit/alot off
4.) The oil pressure gauge is not moving at all
a.) is this normal when the car is stationary? (I cannot recall)
b.) If not normal how to check oil flow within cobra
5.) There seems to be more moisture out of the passenger header than the
driver header.

Things to consider:

1.) Exhaust is currently not hooked up from headers back
a.) Thus meaning o2's are not hooked up as well
2.) Smog system was not put back on the cobra
a.) Only remaining components from smog system are:
i.) Smog pump
ii.) EGR
3.) Monday I am going to put driveshaft/exhaust back on to tone down
noise so i can listen for engine ping.
4.) Currently have Trickflow Stage I Cam installed

Any and all advice fellas/gals!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
svt