PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!! (Steering Rack) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Exclamation PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!! (Steering Rack)

I have a 91 GT 5.0 hatchback and my steering rack is about to go out. I have called up local places to see how much they are and they ask me if it has 2 bushings or 1 and if it's with perfomance suspesion or not. Another one asks if it is 3, 2.5, 2.25 turns lock to lock. I tried calling the Ford dealer for help and they said that part is absolete and that it looks like 2 bushings nothing else. I don't know what to do now. Can somebody help?!
savedbygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Re: PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!! (Steering Rack)

You won't be able to get one from Ford, I couldn't even get one for my 95. You can get a re-man one from Napa or another parts store. It should be 2 bushings, on the insides of the boots. I'm not sure why they would want to know how many turns lock to lock unless they had different ratios for that year. All you have to do is turn your wheel all the way to one side, then count how many turns it takes to go full lock the other way. As for the suspension question they want to know if you are lowered or not. If so, they make an offset rack bushing that will bring your steering rack back parallel and get rid of bump steer. They also have bump steer kits that replace the outer tie rods that drop them down and it does the same thing. Recap- you can go re-man or high performance after market rack. Sorry for the long reply, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #3

Are you talking about mounting bushings? That's what i meant to ask. I think all Ford could tell me was that is was 2 bushings inside. Well they said it looks like 2. Are you sure it's 2? I had someone at my job tell it was one, and said that you can tell from the outside. What would happen if i put the wrong one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

I was talking about mounting bushings. Im positive there's 2 that mount it the the k-member. I did my dad's 85 and my 95 and both had 2 mounting bushings. You can tell by looking under the car, they're right in plain sight. If your car is lowered and you use regular bushings you are going to get some bump steer, also its hard on the rack. The rack is supposed to be parallel, so the offset bushing will do that for you. If you use the offset bushings without being lowered it will cause the rack to be angled the opposite direction. It will also be hard on the rack and cause some kind of ride/steering issues. Maybe someone can tell you exactly what will happen, thats the best i got for right now. Either way, just get the correct bushings.

95 GT- Sold
Old 10-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #5

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #6

I found a website that gave all the info I needed. It help so much. Mustangmotorsport - Mustangs and a whole lot more!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Cool, that is some good info....it really isn't too difficult to change out the rack. Just make sure that you count the number of turns it takes to remove the tie rod ends and then put the new (or old) ones back on the same number of turns. This will get your toe close, but go get an alignment, you don't want yout toe to be off.

95 GT- Sold

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT