Breaking Up Is Hard to Do! My 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Breaking Up Is Hard to Do! My 5.0

I am thinking of putting my little one-owner 1992 Mustang GT up for sale on Ebay. Wanted to get some ideas from everybody as to what they think it might bring.

This will not be easy. I actually bought this car right off the showroom floor in 1992 and it has been in the family ever since. So many great memories ride in that red interior.

So, take a look at the pictures and the goodie list then tell me what you think it will bring.

Jim

347 Built by Thumper of Orange Park Florida
ARP Fasteners
Motorsport X303 Cam
SFI Balancer
Underdrive Pulleys
Canton Drag Race Pan & Oil System
Canton Block Girdle
Crane 1.7 Roller Rockers
Motorsport GT-40 Intake
Edelbrock/BBK 70 mm Throttle Body
Mac Cold Air Intake
C&L 73 mm Mass Air
Motorsport 30 lb. Injectors
Kirban Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
NOS 150 HP Dry Nitrous System
AFM Nitrous Controls
Edelbrock Performer Aluminum Heads
Taylor 409 10.4 mm Race Wires
MSD 6AL Ignition & Blaster Coil
Diablo 3-Way Custom Chip
Mac Ceramic Coated Long-Tube Headers
Mac Off-Road H-Pipe
Flow-master Mufflers
Mac Chrome Exhaust

Spec Stage 3 Plus Clutch
Tremec 3550 Transmission
Hurst Shifter
Hurst Line Loc
Motorsport Aluminum Driveshaft
3.73:1 Motive Gear
Auburn Pro Differential
Moser 31 Spline Axles
Torque Boxes and Seams Welded
UPR Spherical Billet Control Arm Bushings
All Other Bushings Prothane
Trunk Mounted Battery
255 LPH Walbro Fuel Pump

Auto Meter Gauges
Tilt Steering From 1989
Pioneer Satellite AM/FM/CD/XM

Cobra 13" Drilled Front Brakes
2002 PBR Drilled Rear Brakes
17X8 Cobra R Wheels Front
17X10 Cobra R Wheels Rear
Pirelli P7000 Radials 255/45 Front 275/40 M/T Drag Radials Rear
M/T ET Drags 10.5X26/15 on Greg Weld Wheels For Racing
Granatelli Tubular K-Member
Ground Pounder Tubular A-Arms
Ground Pounder Coil-Overs Front and Rear
KYB-Adjustable Struts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim's Mustang  Front Quarter_2.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	20037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim's Mustang  RR Quarter.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	20038  

Name:	Small FB Photo Shoot #1 copy.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	20039   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010_2.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	20041  

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Breaking Up Is Hard to Do! My 5.0

Bret,
If there is a better place for this to go, please move as you please.
Jim
Old 12-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

I think you should keep it.
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
I think you should keep it.
Well, I may just do that. I'll put a significant reserve on it so I can see what it will bring. I don't have to sell it but I'm starting to think that someone who can pay more attention to should get it. I won't sell it to a moron who'll tear it up the first week.

Maybe I'm just getting cranky in my old age, but I have a ton of money (that I know I'll never get out of it) but I also have a lot of emotion in it. If it goes it should be to a person who, ideally, would let it live a life of retirement in a good garage, beat the heck out of him (always referred to the car as a "him" and not a "her") at the drag strip and take him out to play on sunny days. Treat him right and he'll run mid 7's all day long.

The a/c is great and he handles and stops like a slot car.

So, as you can tell, I will have separation issues if I sell him.
Jim

The smaller of the two fat guys watching TV is GT Pug, the car's real owner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	986.4 KB
ID:	20042   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLA-Sept 08-2 120.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	20043  

Name:	66web.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	20044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_082906_001.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	20045  

Old 12-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #5

There is no way you should get rid of that car (unless you have no financial choice) Not only is it one sweet ride:worship: I cant wait to buy a car out of a showroom & have it forever.. That kinda of **** is priceless, I dont know you and I still think you will regret it But if you do... how much do you want for the beast?:hmm:
Old 12-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with PLAYSTANG93 you will regret it. That is for sure. You have to much into the car to make it worth selling it. Thats why you should keep. It plus it is one badass car.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm convinced, but the love of my life and my business manager, the ever lovely and gracious Miss Jayne, thinks I should at least try to sell it, fix the 2002, which has an automatic that I need sometimes with my back, bank the rest, and be happy with the 2008 Bullitt we just bought.

Since our 41 years of successful marriage has been built on consensus, and her behavior style is logic driven (mine's emotional) I try to state my arguments in a logical format so it appeals to her left brain. No, "I'm the King of the Jungle" junk.

The thoughts posted so far have been great, I'd just like to hear from a few more people tell me "Why" they would keep it AND the 2002 GT as a daily driver to keep the miles down on the new Bullitt.

BTW, here's the carnage on the 2002 GT. Yes, that's rod sticking trough the oil pan. Sixty year-olds can live at the redline, too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rod through the block copy.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	20046   Click image for larger version

Name:	2002 GT With New Paint #1.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	20047  

Name:	2002 GT Chin Spoiler.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	20048  
Old 12-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #8

When you have more money into a car then the car itself is worth (wich it sounds like you do) you have to think of it as a life long investment, its pretty much your coffin, just plan on diggin a big hole when the time comes.. lol
Old 12-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #9

BTW.. going mid 7's in a 5spd is badf*cknass & its got to be a fun ride
Old 12-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
I agree with PLAYSTANG93 you will regret it. That is for sure. You have to much into the car to make it worth selling it. Thats why you should keep. It plus it is one badass car.
Here's a couple other views from my website. I'm on a T-1 here at work and this page loads fast. Please let me know if it's slow for you.

Drag Strip Fun

Jim
Old 12-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyche View Post
Here's a couple other views from my website. I'm on a T-1 here at work and this page loads fast. Please let me know if it's slow for you.

Drag Strip Fun

Jim
It loaded pretty quick. That car is unbelievable. I would love a car that fast. Granted its a stick. But its a car your drive when you feel good, and the weather is nice. That right there is enough for me to keep it. I drive an automatic cavalier when im not 100%. But a car like your Fox should not be driven when your anything other than 100%.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

dont sell it as you will regret it... its not worth enough cash to really offset much of anything. Ive sold two mustangs and I regret having to do both.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I can understand wanting to sell. This is not the time to be bringing in what the car would actually be worth. I doubt you will sell the car in the near future for anywhere near what you are wanting (I haven't looked at the reserve)
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I can understand wanting to sell. This is not the time to be bringing in what the car would actually be worth. I doubt you will sell the car in the near future for anywhere near what you are wanting (I haven't looked at the reserve)
I have a friend who sells cars all the time and he agrees with you for a couple of reasons. The economy scare is number two. He says his best results come in the months of February through June. People get more motivated when the weather is breaking and racing weekends are nicer in this part of the South.

Never sold a car that I made a profit on. It's like they say about amateur gambling, you have to consider it entertainment. It doesn't look like that parts list would cost that much, but at the time I hadn't discovered the trade and barter underground hot rod system and paid retail for most of it!

Your comments fit right into that "logic" train of thought, though. I do appreciate your comments as they are right on target.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-24-2009, 04:11 AM   #15

I wouldn't sell it unless it was a HAVE TOO case way too nice of a car to part with!
S-Trimmed302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

S-Trim,
Thanks for the comments. I'd hate to sell it. It really sounds good to go out there and fire it up and just sit and listen to it burble. The when you pull out and the Spec 3+ bites, the M/T's grabs some NEVER want to sell it.
Jim

BTW, what state do you call home?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66web 1992.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	20221  
Old 01-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:

Drag Strip Fun

Jim
the fact that your car has it's own website, is proof that you should take it to the grave. I had an '80 Z28 that was my baby, and I kick myself everyday that I sold it.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #18

Quote:
S-Trim,
Thanks for the comments. I'd hate to sell it. It really sounds good to go out there and fire it up and just sit and listen to it burble. The when you pull out and the Spec 3+ bites, the M/T's grabs some NEVER want to sell it.
Jim

BTW, what state do you call home?

Hey Jim,

Im from VOLS country like you I live in far Northeast TN in the Tri Cities area near Johnson City.How do you like your Spec stage 3+ clutch and how is the petal feel?Im building a 92 notch with about 525 rwhp with a T-600 Tremec and Im looking for a Clutch that will hold the power AND have good street manners and petal feel I will be driving the car Everyday as my daily driver.Thanks Jim.

Jeff
S-Trimmed302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Trimmed302 View Post
Hey Jim,

Im from VOLS country like you I live in far Northeast TN in the Tri Cities area near Johnson City.How do you like your Spec stage 3+ clutch and how is the petal feel?Im building a 92 notch with about 525 rwhp with a T-600 Tremec and Im looking for a Clutch that will hold the power AND have good street manners and petal feel I will be driving the car Everyday as my daily driver.Thanks Jim.

Jeff
Quote:
Hey Jim,

Jeff
Quote:
Hey Jim,

Jeff
I predict you'll love it. Much less leg pressure required than a King Cobra. My car puts down close to 600 lb/ft of torque on the hose and it held well enough to snap the input shaft on my 3550 on M/T DR's out on the street.

Be sure to put more than 500 miles on it (I put over 900 on mine) before you jump on it hard. I know that sounds like a lot, but I ruined the first one because I didn't follow the Spec instructions. BTW, those boys are great! They stood behind that clutch, and even resurfaced my flywheel, even though it was my fault. It seems their guarantee is "We want you to be happy with your purchase!”

There are a lot of good products out there (Centerforce, etc) and this seems to be one of the best. An additional benefit is that they are located in Bessemer, Alabama and it’s easy to go down there and see the plant and return a product, which I did. They boxed me up a new clutch, surfaced my flywheel, and loaded me up with T-shirts and decals (the things that everyone knows makes your car sooo much faster!) and did it all while I had lunch at the Cracker Barrel!

If opinions count for anything, I’m solidly in the Spec camp.
Jim
Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

sometimes it hard to part with an old friend, I think I agree with everyone else to hang on to it till a little warmer weather, hopefully fuel will stay down and you'll make a good sell.

I enjoyed having the GT around as I believe it was the only other red stroker based fox on M.E.
have fun with the auto 4-6!

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
sometimes it hard to part with an old friend, I think I agree with everyone else to hang on to it till a little warmer weather, hopefully fuel will stay down and you'll make a good sell.

I enjoyed having the GT around as I believe it was the only other red stroker based fox on M.E.
have fun with the auto 4-6!
I'm dealing with separation issues for sure. I will take your advice on the warmer weather and renew all my ads then. The little red monster is posted in the car classified section. Look it up.

Jim
Old 02-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Exclamation Re: Breaking Up Is Hard to Do! My 5.0

I wouldn't sell it. Unless it was to me cheap! lol
I hate to say I tore this one apart:

to fix this one:

Even though I really like my white one, I miss my black one.
I did at least keep all the speed parts to build upon, and put in the white on hopefully this summer.

Don't do it man!
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Powerboat;550336]I wouldn't sell it. Unless it was to me cheap! lol
I hate to say I tore this one apart:

Your white one looks good! I really like white cars. They stay clean looking longer. The Dark Highland Green on my Bullitt has been an object lesson for me on the difficulty of keeping dark cars clean.

There should be an adoption process that people have to go through before you sell them a car; to see if they can afford to keep it up after they buy/adopt it, they won't beat on it, they can give it the right gas and keep it sheltered and not sitting out in the hot sun or snow. If someone says, "Come on, man, it's just a car!" that would be grounds for immediate disqualification of ownership.

I'd love to see someone get it who always wanted one in high school and can now afford one. They could completely re-do the interior, smooth out the engine bay, add a stronger block and twin-turbos. Just take it up to the next level of restification. (Restored + Modifications).

Mercy, how I do ramble.

Powerboat, thanks for the comments. Right now I'm going through my 2002 GT looking for about 330 RWH N/A. I have a "low cost" engine coming in that should do that for me.

Jim
Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

+1 I owned a black mustang for 5 years, I kept it VERY nice but I learned how hard it is to keep clean. I tell people all the time not to buy a dark colored car... they dont listen but they regret it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
+1 I owned a black mustang for 5 years, I kept it VERY nice but I learned how hard it is to keep clean. I tell people all the time not to buy a dark colored car... they dont listen but they regret it.

110% i agree with you dark colors sucks its so hard to keep looking clean, dark colors always get paint swirls an they are really hard to buff out sometimes you have to deal with a messed up paint job, plus its DIRTY after you wash it!

:smoke: :evan:
KustomSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

i would definitely take the 5.0 off your hands unfortunately its out of my budget.

im getting there.
DaDant! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Thanks for the compliment. The white one's paint is about 3 days old in that pic. It has been cover in garage with a battery tender since not long after that. It may have 120 some thousand miles on it, but spending most of its life in Cali, and all but the ditch my friend put it in it has been pampered. Always garaged. Never seen rain, or snow. Well according to previous owners anyway. I haven't had it since new, but I don't plan on changing the story. Just build it, and cruise!
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #28

I have almost sold my cobra twice in the past couple of years luckily my wife wont let me sell it cause she knows i will miss it badly. I wont ever sell my cobra and you have to think of how much you will miss that car if you sell it. To each his own but think of the ramifications.
95whitevenom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT