'94 3.8L to a 5.0 HO (HELP!) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:02 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4
'94 3.8L to a 5.0 HO (HELP!)

I'm sure this question is asked a lot, but I am new so please forgive me here.
I have a '94 V6 and am wanting to change it to a 5.0L HO. I know I need a new computer and wiring harness for the change, but am hearing that I also will have to have a suspension upgrade and possibly a different driveshaft. Anyone know the answers to this one? Anyone know exactly what other mods have to be made to accomodate the new engine.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Mike's-stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-27-2004, 08:50 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
fast64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,263
Send a message via AIM to fast64
you will need to get the front suspension from a 94 gt to handle the weight of the v8. I would do a brake swap too just make sure that you have the extra stopping power to handle the extra go power. you'll probably have to get a shorter driveshaft. are you going to be putting a different tranny in along with the 5.0?
__________________
-Jimmy I drive a station wagon.
GO BRAVES
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:25 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
97Stallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,461
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's-stang
I'm sure this question is asked a lot, but I am new so please forgive me here.
I have a '94 V6 and am wanting to change it to a 5.0L HO. I know I need a new computer and wiring harness for the change, but am hearing that I also will have to have a suspension upgrade and possibly a different driveshaft. Anyone know the answers to this one? Anyone know exactly what other mods have to be made to accomodate the new engine.

Thanks for any help you can give.
OK, well the weight of the engine is why you need a better suspension, so you'll need to do that, and you stock brakes are ok, just ok. You're best bet would to be to get some dual piston calipers from a 99+ mustang the V6 and GT have the same brakes some don't get fooled if they try to say it's from a GT, they'll fit trust me. I have them on my car. I would also highly recommend a new tranny. You stock one will work, but the 94-98 T-5s were pretty much the weakest the ever made. And finally for the driveshaft, I'm not 100% sure, but your stock one will work, it all depends on the year of the 5.0 though, the new the more likely it'll work.
__________________

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-27-2004, 11:40 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Black95GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 897
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
You need the Computer, a stronger tranny, tranny harness, tranny bell housing, H-pipe, Catback, you should get a 8.8'' rearend, I had a complete list but i cant find it.
__________________
-Jason
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
fast64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,263
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
OK, well the weight of the engine is why you need a better suspension, so you'll need to do that, and you stock brakes are ok, just ok. You're best bet would to be to get some dual piston calipers from a 99+ mustang the V6 and GT have the same brakes some don't get fooled if they try to say it's from a GT, they'll fit trust me. I have them on my car. I would also highly recommend a new tranny. You stock one will work, but the 94-98 T-5s were pretty much the weakest the ever made. And finally for the driveshaft, I'm not 100% sure, but your stock one will work, it all depends on the year of the 5.0 though, the new the more likely it'll work.
i think the 94-98 5 speeds are t-45s, and yeah, they suck a nut
__________________
-Jimmy I drive a station wagon.
GO BRAVES
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4
Thank ya'll for the help. I think I found a motor I am going after this weekend. It is out of an '87 GT and has an AODE transmission with it that has been rebuilt. Crossing my fingers on this one.

Thanks again.
Mike's-stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
97Stallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,461
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64
i think the 94-98 5 speeds are t-45s, and yeah, they suck a nut
Nope the 5.0's were t-5's and the 4.6's were the t-45's.
__________________

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:21 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
fast64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,263
Send a message via AIM to fast64
ok, so we are both right, haha 94-95 had t-5's and 96-98 had t-45s
__________________
-Jimmy I drive a station wagon.
GO BRAVES
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 12:26 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Tbird232ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,170
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
Quote:
Thank ya'll for the help. I think I found a motor I am going after this weekend. It is out of an '87 GT and has an AODE transmission with it that has been rebuilt.
the 87 has an AOD, not an AODE, so the shifting is controlled by a cable rather than elecronically, and the driveshaft will work, if the AOD and AODE are externally the same

to use the 87 engine, youll end up having to track down some parts/sensors from the 94, youll need the upper intake manifold, headers, im not sure if the 94 is DIS or not, but if it is, youll need all of that, its no easy task
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:14 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
97Stallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,461
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
The 94 is not DIS, only the 3.8's and 4.6 are. In this case I would recommend spark plug wires and a MSD system and some new TFI coil packs.
__________________

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:28 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Tbird232ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,170
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
Quote:
In this case I would recommend spark plug wires and a MSD system and some new TFI coil packs.
since its non-DIS, its only has one coil, but if you are getting a used engine, put in a new MOTORCRAFT TFI module
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 251
The T45s are merely T5s with a one piece bellhousing/tranny
Jayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 02:58 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Tbird232ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,170
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayber
The T45s are merely T5s with a one piece bellhousing/tranny
and a different bellhousing pattern
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:44 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.