1993 4 Cyl Swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to KawaFord Send a message via MSN to KawaFord
Question 1993 4 Cyl Swap

If I have a 1985 5.0 Mustang (5 Speed) already.

How hard would it be to swap the motor/tranny into a 1993 4 Cyl mustang (Automatic) ?
KawaFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: 1993 4 Cyl Swap

do you have both whole cars?
if you do it's just a matter of just ripping the drivetrains out of both cars and installing it into the '83. it's not that big of a job. no custom work needs to be done. it will all bolt right up

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:16 AM   #3

Well I was looking to buy the 4 cylinder.

I have the 85 mustang, but it has NO interior or wiring harness at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
do you have both whole cars?
if you do it's just a matter of just ripping the drivetrains out of both cars and installing it into the '83. it's not that big of a job. no custom work needs to be done. it will all bolt right up
There's a little more to it than that. The '85 is carbed and the '86 and later 5.0s are not. You will have to decide if you want to go to an EFI set-up or if you want to stick with the carb. Either way there will be some wiring issues to consider.

You will also want to upgrade the brakes and suspension. The four cylinder brakes barely cut it for the four cylinder cars. They really can't handle the extra weight from the V8. You will also need the brake lines from the V8 car if you do decide to upgrade the brakes. Many of the suspension parts are also different between the V8 and four cylinder cars. The main one I can think of being the front springs, which again are not designed to support the weight of the V8.

There are probably tons of other little things I am forgetting too. But it's really not all that bad because everything does bolt right up into place. It's just a matter of figuring out what all parts you need and swapping them over.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #5

Do you guys think a 93 4 Cylinder in CLEAN condition 53,000 miles is worth $800 ?
Old 01-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

ask purevenom he just bought one for 1k

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #7

Does anyone have a idea what it would cost for someone to do for me?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaFord View Post
Does anyone have a idea what it would cost for someone to do for me?
Probably way more than you want to pay. You would end up better off selling the car and buying a later model 5.0.

May I ask why it is that you want to put the drivetrain from the '85 in a four cylinder car to begin with? Is there something wrong with the body/frame of the '85?

Scary stuff.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Probably way more than you want to pay. You would end up better off selling the car and buying a later model 5.0.

May I ask why it is that you want to put the drivetrain from the '85 in a four cylinder car to begin with? Is there something wrong with the body/frame of the '85?
There in no interior at all in the 5.0, or wiring harness, or lights, or anything.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaFord View Post
There in no interior at all in the 5.0, or wiring harness, or lights, or anything.
Well, your other option would be to reverse your thinking and swap all that stuff from the four banger over to the 5.0.

Scary stuff.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Well, your other option would be to reverse your thinking and swap all that stuff from the four banger over to the 5.0.
The 5.0 also has rust, allot of it, roof, floor ect.

And that would be allot harder I think.

Plus the 4 banger is a notch, were the 5.0 is a hatch.

From what I was reading and people were saying... the conversion is not that hard.. I got both cars.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

my '92 coupe is a conversion. dont forget about swapping out the swaybar in the front and adding a sway bar for the rear. it's not the hardest thing in the world, but u need a fair bit of patience. u definatley dont wanna pay someone to do it for you, unless u find an ase certified stangbanger crackhead dat will work for damn cheap...lol.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #13

im doin a engine swap with my 4 banger. im droppin either a 5.0 or a 5.8 into it. i just need to find one and a new tranny, rear, exhaust, the mounts are the same from what i hear dunno but i think its all worth it in the end lol
93FoxBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93FoxBody View Post
im doin a engine swap with my 4 banger. im droppin either a 5.0 or a 5.8 into it. i just need to find one and a new tranny, rear, exhaust, the mounts are the same from what i hear dunno but i think its all worth it in the end lol
if u can keep the cost down. it took me 30 days to build mine. but mine is efi. the mounts are the same. make sure you get some wiring diagrams, they are very helpful. u get to know alot about the car when u do it that way...lol.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I may do a 5.0 swap in my 93 4 cyl down the road, not sure yet. I am doing a 460 swap into my 81 4 cyl hatch though in the mean time.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #16
Titus Wadicus
Regular

a 460? u will need a sledge hammer and a kool-aid pitcher to pour it in...lol. i met a gut wit a fox wit a 460. it was tight, but it looked nice. i think he had those "weld yourself " headers on it. it ran good when he got it to hook...lol. i always wanted to do a efi 460...but im not sure i have the patience.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
a 460? u will need a sledge hammer and a kool-aid pitcher to pour it in...lol. i met a gut wit a fox wit a 460. it was tight, but it looked nice. i think he had those "weld yourself " headers on it. it ran good when he got it to hook...lol. i always wanted to do a efi 460...but im not sure i have the patience.
Mine will be carbed and will be around 545 ci when all is said and done. IT will fit no problem, there's lots of room under there for it. They have complete swap kits with k-member and headers for the swap. Should be pretty straight forward.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Titus Wadicus
Regular

it should....but there's always dat lil **** noone bothers to tell u about. i think the inner fender wells gotta come out for the headers to fit dont they? and wut trans does it use? i thought the one it used was slightly taller than a t-5 or aod...for sum reason i thought u had to modify the trans tunnel... i cant remember
Old 01-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
it should....but there's always dat lil **** noone bothers to tell u about. i think the inner fender wells gotta come out for the headers to fit dont they? and wut trans does it use? i thought the one it used was slightly taller than a t-5 or aod...for sum reason i thought u had to modify the trans tunnel... i cant remember
No, the fenders stay intact, the fire wall stays intact. It's a direct swap and can even fit under the stock hood if you by the k-member spacers or the drop k-member.

The trans that will get bolted to it will either be a lentech auto or a T56...many run the C6 or an autoglide.

The only cutting/welding that will be going on in my engine bay will be plugging excess holes.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
No, the fenders stay intact, the fire wall stays intact. It's a direct swap and can even fit under the stock hood if you by the k-member spacers or the drop k-member.

The trans that will get bolted to it will either be a lentech auto or a T56...many run the C6 or an autoglide.

The only cutting/welding that will be going on in my engine bay will be plugging excess holes.
dude dats awsome. u gotta let me know how it turns out. i wanted to do dat but wit a stock efi from a truck. if i knew then wut i know now, i woulda built one. my buddy gave a 351 roller, i have yet to put it in cause i got a fresh 308 in it now. aren't 351 accessory brackets different than 302? i was curious, cause i was wondering if my blower brackets would bolt to a 351. if they will i may put dat 351 in anyway...who knows.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #21

Let me know if you have any questions. I just completed my third 460 fox swap.
MrLight460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-

did you ever go through with the swap?

the 85 5.0 suspension is the same as the 93's 4 banger suspension. not until 87 did the v8's get a better suspension,bigger front brakes, so the only good donor would have to be a 87-93 v8 car. plus brakes lines are in different spots and fuel lines are different.

mrlight460, could u share some info, thinking of doing this to the 87 coupe I just picked up this summer
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #23
Titus Wadicus
Regular

[QUOTE=Bane-;553743]did you ever go through with the swap?

the 85 5.0 suspension is the same as the 93's 4 banger suspension. not until 87 did the v8's get a better suspension,bigger front brakes, so the only good donor would have to be a 87-93 v8 car. plus brakes lines are in different spots and fuel lines are different.

mrlight460, could u share some info, thinking of doing this to the 87 coupe I just picked up this summer [/QUOTE

my 92 coupe is a conversion. as far as your 87 goes. springs, front sway bar, add a rear sway bar, fronts breaks, rear end depending on your hp level, a 7.5 will hold up to more than wut most ppl think. but u will definatley have to addresse the trac loc..or lack of actually. unbolt fuel line from body and bend over to other side. i push'n over 400hp. i can honestly say that u can drive on the 4cyl. brakes..normal driving only. they are a challenge at 140+ though. i have been using the 7.5 with frpp trac-loc for 3yrs and no problems, however keep in mind my car is racing aod equiped, not t-5. it's time consuming but not rocket science, i hope some of this helped.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane- View Post
mrlight460, could u share some info, thinking of doing this to the 87 coupe I just picked up this summer
Sure... I will start at the front and work my way back.

Cooling:
I bought a generic aluminum radiator and mounted a 16" Be-Cool radiator with the push through plastic straps. I used a Meziere electric water pump.

Electrical (alternator):
I kept the factory alternator (6 rib pulley) for simplicity reasons and mounted it to the front motor plate. I also used the factory 5.0L crank pulley on the 460 so the alternator still turns the same speed. Since this is the only thing I need to turn I went to advance auto parts and bought the shortest 6 rib belt. I believe it is 30" so I used this to position my alternator.

Electrical (gauges and other):
I did TONS of research online so I could get all of the factory gauges working. Let me know if you need any of this documentation.

Mounting Engine:
D&D kit (motor plates w/ brackets, oil pan, pickup, dipstick, headers)

Front suspension:
The engine will go in with the factory K member but I recommend some type of tubular unit. I went with the UPR chrome moly and coil over conversion. I cut the tabs off for motor mounts so my headers could drop lower. I did not use the available spacers to drop the K member below factory (no real reason other than I didnt know about them). When bolting the front plate to the brackets I actually laid the oil pan on my rack to get it as low as possible (I used a piece of wood about 1/4" thick as a spacer). If you do this be sure your rack is level (parallel with the K member as this will determine how level your engine is). You can get a manual rack from autozone for cheap. I did buy the flaming river shaft to replace the stock rag joint. I believe this is necessary to clear the headers but I never tried the stock unit.

Trans, bell, mount, and driveshaft:
I used a PA C4 trans with a bulletproof bell (the bell I needed had to be modified to clear the headers). A factory crossmember from an 84 gt will work with the C4 (I tried an 86 and 93 crossmember but they will NOT work). If you get the right mount it will force you to place the trans in the right position to be able to use the factory driveshaft. DO NOT go through the pain of trying to use any factory C4/460 dipstick tubes with this header/bell combo. Just save up and get the Lokar flexible one. You will thank me in the future.

Please let me know if you need more information. I am sorry it took so long to respond but I've been really busy.
MrLight460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

what are you selling for $800
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT