help with 1.72rr and pushrods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
help with 1.72rr and pushrods

i got a few questions about 1.72 rr and pushrods. does anyone use 1.72 scorpian rr's? and does anyone know if you can use oem pushrods with these roller rockers on oem (e7) heads? also, if i use these roller rockers, will it move my power band further up the rpm range? i am currently using 1.7rr which use "+0.117" over stock push rods. my current setup..."86 e6 high swirl -fast burn 69cc heart shape cumb.chamb. heads... the are port matched exhaust runners, therm. humps removed, intake and exhaust bowls ported, intake runners left stock for torque, stock valve size. bbk twin split port intake, 26lbs. injectors @ 42.5lbs., 308 standard stroke block, 11psi (blower)of boost, 70ml throttle body and 70ml pro m mass air. '92 a9l pcm. timing set @ 14degress, no btm box used or needed for this setup. i am usin an e-cam, with the 1.7rr my lift is .529 and the 1.72rr should bring my lift to .534 or .535. and 3.42 rear gear with 2500-2700rpm stall.

i dont know if i want to use the 1.72 on exhaust and intake, or just on the exhaust valves. also wondering if anyone had a horsepower guessetimate for my setup. and im open to suggestions for my setup. i use the "e6" heads for the low compression, low heat/low fuel requirements. i was trying to create a low maintanance, high reliability, low heat setup for longevity. this is a street car setup, not race set-up. so i am willing to sacrifice sum power for longevity and reliability. im tryn to create as much power with as many oem components as possible. this is a budget build, so keep this in mind with your suggestions. and thank you again to those of you dat made sure i got my blower, u awsome guys know who u are. i got my money back and the blower for free for drop'n the charges.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Re: help with 1.72rr and pushrods

I do not use the rockers you are talking about, I don't even know anyone that does unfortunately. You need to get pushrods that are made to work with 1.72 RR. I believe the cobra had this length rockers. You also need to make sure you have the proper width, and tips on the pushrod. These will open your valves further( letting more air in and out) so the main thing you need to worry about is piston to valve clearance. There is a mathmatical formula for figuring it out but the best way is to use clay and visually see it.

I would use them on both intake and exhaust and not mix and match If I were you. If yo uhave any doubts you can always go back to the stock 1.6 rockers. As for power I would say 400-450 at the wheels with 11 psi and all the work you did. Glad you got your blower even though it sounds like you ahd a horrible experience doing so. It sounds like you have all the supporting mods for the motor, I would focus on the suspension not to help control all the power.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut95 View Post
I do not use the rockers you are talking about, I don't even know anyone that does unfortunately. You need to get pushrods that are made to work with 1.72 RR. I believe the cobra had this length rockers. You also need to make sure you have the proper width, and tips on the pushrod. These will open your valves further( letting more air in and out) so the main thing you need to worry about is piston to valve clearance. There is a mathmatical formula for figuring it out but the best way is to use clay and visually see it.

I would use them on both intake and exhaust and not mix and match If I were you. If yo uhave any doubts you can always go back to the stock 1.6 rockers. As for power I would say 400-450 at the wheels with 11 psi and all the work you did. Glad you got your blower even though it sounds like you ahd a horrible experience doing so. It sounds like you have all the supporting mods for the motor, I would focus on the suspension not to help control all the power.
just so u know, i believe .544 lift is where u run into problems on oem valve clearance with oem (e7 family) heads. i kinda already know wut u r saying. wut im tryn to do is findout if anyone has used the "scorpian 1.72 (ped. mount) rr" on oem heads, and the pushrods they used. and as far as mix and match roller rockers... it's called "split ratio".... a common pratice, and yes you can buy split ratio rockers (half one size/ half another size). ppl her that run forced induction applications understand my split ratio question especialy when run'n a "ford alphabet cam" or "single profile cam"...which are not the most effecient cams. btw, i have solid spherical upper control arm bushings, boxed upper and lower control arms...ford h.d. "stock height" rear springs..and new frpp trac-loc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

If you're on a budget, I wouldn't waste the money on new rockers, and possibly new pushrods. Plus the higher ratio you go, it will be even more difficult to achieve correct valvetrain geometry. This could mean worse wear with your valvetrain. The ideal situation would be to have the extra exhaust lift coming from the cam rather than the rockers and to keep the stock 1.6 ratio for all valves. In your situation, I don't think the extra money spent would be worth it, especially considering a custom ground cam can be had for a little over 300 bucks.

I'm not sure what the answer to your question is though.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
If you're on a budget, I wouldn't waste the money on new rockers, and possibly new pushrods. Plus the higher ratio you go, it will be even more difficult to achieve correct valvetrain geometry. This could mean worse wear with your valvetrain. The ideal situation would be to have the extra exhaust lift coming from the cam rather than the rockers and to keep the stock 1.6 ratio for all valves. In your situation, I don't think the extra money spent would be worth it, especially considering a custom ground cam can be had for a little over 300 bucks.

I'm not sure what the answer to your question is though.
i will do the custom cam or just buy a blower cam when i do my 351. im not unhappy with the setup i have. i just saw the 1.72rr and my imagination started goin. wut do u think is a good h.p. guesse for my set-up? i will let everyone know after i get it dynoed. there is snow everywhere here, and im twittling my thumbs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT