Motor Options - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to tn89lx5.0
Question Motor Options

May be getting a 95 GT with a bad motor. Guy says the crank is broke. I have a 81 302 block if needed. This is a toy/second car and I am not in a big hurry. Considering these two options..

Built 302 with good internals for supercharging later..maybe new MAF, cold air kit and Cobra intake..better heads to be added later

331 stroker...researching this one..tips..pros/cons?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: Motor Options

Well I may be a bit biased... I just sold my 92 LX... I'd installed a DSS 331 bottom end with ported GT40 heads, etc etc... Ran it for 3 years and probably close to 10k miles

I had initially planned for boost, but lost my job and returned to school, wasn't ever able to get that far

Pros on 331 : more displacement = possibility for more power running less boost = less stress on engine, or overall greater potential - at the time I'd gone with 331 over 347, as 347s had oiling issues over time/higher RPMs, I believe that's no longer an issue - but I felt more comfortable with a higher revving 331 than 347, pretty long stroke at that point.. and definitely had no reliability issues - only things I'd had to do over those 3 years after engine install was a coolant hose and an alternator

With either option, definitely consider what sort of compression ratio you should go with... stock or lower would be great for boost, but there are pros and cons to going low or high...

I wouldn't plan for more than 450-500 HP overall on the stock block, even with a main support and/or a 'worked over' stock block like DSS level 10, etc...
Old 01-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

The only con to the 331 is $$$. You're best bet is going to be to wait and put everything on the engine all together at once. If you wait to do the heads later, you're going to have to end up buying two sets of head gaskets, have to run a mismatched cam for a while, etc.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
May be getting a 95 GT with a bad motor. Guy says the crank is broke. I have a 81 302 block if needed. This is a toy/second car and I am not in a big hurry. Considering these two options..

Built 302 with good internals for supercharging later..maybe new MAF, cold air kit and Cobra intake..better heads to be added later

331 stroker...researching this one..tips..pros/cons?
I'm kind of curious as to how the crank broke and what the damage actually is. It takes a lot of bad stuff to happen to break a crankshaft. Maybe he means there's a spun bearing?

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut95 View Post
I'm kind of curious as to how the crank broke and what the damage actually is. It takes a lot of bad stuff to happen to break a crankshaft. Maybe he means there's a spun bearing?
Not terribly hard if it gets hydrolocked... (IE blown head gasket, etc) or running a blower, or spray...
Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the info so far..I want to do this right and not do anything over..I too am curious to see whats really wrong with the motor. When I get it here I will dig in and find out. Keep the info coming. I may get a stock block/internals to run while I build a really good strong motor so that I can use the car and take my time on the build.

Keep the suggestions/info coming
Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #7

Ok..I have a 97 Explorer 5.0 with the P heads and they told me 60K on the clock..
Going to get the car today..trying to put together a game plan..will keep posting as I go..

Any suggestions welcome..
Old 02-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #8

I have a 97 Explorer motor with P heads that I am going to put in a 95 GT I just got with a bad motor. Researching whats required so feel free to let me know what you know..

I have been told that I have to be careful with cams on this motor. I was looking at the E303 but have read and been warned it doesnt go well with the explorer motor..requires some major tuning to work I am told. So I decided to see what Summit had for the 97 Explorer and found this
Crane Cams 443941 - Crane PowerMax Camshafts - summitracing.com
Its in the rpm range I desire for a mostly street car that may get some drag/ auto cross time for fun.
Since it is for the 1997 I should be able to use this should I not?
I also plan to change the rockers to roller rockers (not sure if I need 1.6 or 1.7s'), valve springs and lifters (help me here too)

Digging around to get all info on using the explorer intake on the car, have figured out I dont need to worry about the ACT as its in the air intake on these cars. Got someone helping me here but feel free to share what you know, especially by experience.

I have a line on some P headers I hope works out.

Suggestions on CAI, MAF and TB's are welcomed.

I also plan to replace timing chain/gear, oil pump and add windage tray, new mustang oil pan, plugs, 9mm wires, rotary button/dist. cap

Swap over from mustang to explorer motor all front drive accessories/pulleys, etc.

Exhaust will be Pypes X pipe (w/cats?) Flowmaster cat back

I may be forgetting something..not sure. Feel free to throw in opinions and if you have done a Explorer to SN95 transplant what you ran into/had to modify.

Thanks in advance,
Old 02-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

That cam is a hydraulic flat tappet cam. You're probably gonna want to stick with a hydraulic roller. You're correct on the E303 though. It will be crap for that combo. It's really a more "high RPM" cam than Ford Racing advertises it as.

For replacement lifters, check these out: Ford Racing M-6500-R302 - Ford Racing Hydraulic Roller Lifters - summitracing.com

On the roller rockers, I would stick with a 1.6. The only reason to go with 1.7s is for increased valve lift. The 1.6 rockers will maintain a better valvetrain geometry however. And since you are replacing the cam, you can select a cam that has the correct valve lift for your set-up (which is probably around .512").

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
That cam is a hydraulic flat tappet cam. You're probably gonna want to stick with a hydraulic roller. You're correct on the E303 though. It will be crap for that combo. It's really a more "high RPM" cam than Ford Racing advertises it as.

For replacement lifters, check these out: Ford Racing M-6500-R302 - Ford Racing Hydraulic Roller Lifters - summitracing.com

On the roller rockers, I would stick with a 1.6. The only reason to go with 1.7s is for increased valve lift. The 1.6 rockers will maintain a better valvetrain geometry however. And since you are replacing the cam, you can select a cam that has the correct valve lift for your set-up (which is probably around .512").
Good catch on the cam..I over looked that..
Thanks for the info..going to check out the lifters..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT