302 Block Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #1

302 Block Help

hey Guys thanks for te help in advance, but here is what I have

1988 mustang lx

I am doing a v8 swap and i got a block from my neighbor, he told me it was out of an 84 mark iiv, which from what i have found out is not a roller motor. I jus tore the motor down today and i looked at the casting on the block and come to find out it is an 85 block and has the holes tapped in the valley for the cage. so i am assuming that i can change to a roller cam fairly easy. also i am going to to a master rebuild and i am curious what is the best bang for the buck out there as far as a rebuild kit. Also could i use a H.O rebuild kit on this block?
ejl22boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Re: 302 Block Help

You can switch it over to a roller block. I'm at work and can't really look up everything you need to do it right now but I'll definately look into tonight. I know you need the lock plate for the front of the block so the cam doesn't walk out but thats all i remember off the top of my head.

I guess you could use an HO rebuild kit if you wanted but there's better kits out there. I ordered some parts from a place called Northern Auto Parts. They are very knowledgable, great to talk with, and will help you out with anything. I recommend going on their site and see what they have to offer.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: 302 Block Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl22boo View Post
hey Guys thanks for te help in advance, but here is what I have

1988 mustang lx

I am doing a v8 swap and i got a block from my neighbor, he told me it was out of an 84 mark iiv, which from what i have found out is not a roller motor. I jus tore the motor down today and i looked at the casting on the block and come to find out it is an 85 block and has the holes tapped in the valley for the cage. so i am assuming that i can change to a roller cam fairly easy. also i am going to to a master rebuild and i am curious what is the best bang for the buck out there as far as a rebuild kit. Also could i use a H.O rebuild kit on this block?
are those valley holes threaded? from wut i understand, the roller conversion is pretty simple. but i never done one. needless to say i will learn a lil from this thread too.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT