Need some help guys/gals - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to xspektrex Send a message via MSN to xspektrex Send a message via Yahoo to xspektrex
Unhappy Need some help guys/gals

someone please take a look at my albums or go here:

Mustang Evolution - xspektrex's Album: 1995 Cobra SVT

and tell me if you think the front wheels need to be on the back. im getting the feeling that the wheels on the front are rear offset. also keep in mind 3 of the four are saleen (real deal) and one is a clone (temp wheel).

thanks,

harley d

*MSD-Ignition*H-Pipe*Shortie BBK Headers*40-Series Flowies*8.8" Rear*3.27 Gears*C4*Stock T-Handle*
xspektrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: Need some help guys/gals

what sizes are the wheels? You may consider rear wheel spacers to bring that rear wheel out some more. Oh... and you need to drop it a little more. That'll help the wheels fill up the wheel well.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

looks about right to me, rear wheels stick in more just by design of the body. You can look in our article section for wheel/tire information to see how to measure back space to check.

The fronts will stick out a bit.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to xspektrex Send a message via MSN to xspektrex Send a message via Yahoo to xspektrex

hmmmm....akwardly that one "fakie" stikx out more than all of the others. leading me to believe it's a rear offset. could just be a crappy clone

*MSD-Ignition*H-Pipe*Shortie BBK Headers*40-Series Flowies*8.8" Rear*3.27 Gears*C4*Stock T-Handle*
Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #5

Region: Alabama

Most repo. saleen wheels are the same offset and don't offer different offsets unless the rims are of different sizes or from different companies, then different offsets on different sizes.
From the picture you cannot tell if the offsets are different.
95whitevenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

nice looking car
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to USMC Roush Send a message via MSN to USMC Roush

Nice looking car, all the rims should be about the same.. sometimes your eyes just play tricks on you like that... i've had that problem with a set of rims on a older car i owned

United States Marine Corp OIF/OEF 2009 - 2010 - Yellow 2003 Cobra: RAI, BBK mid headers, 2.81 pulley, BBK o/r X pipe, Borla Stinger Exhast, cross drilled and slotted front/rear rotors...next thing to come is color matched calipers. (still needs to be installed but it's waiting for me)
USMC Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

easy to measure with a straight edge and measuring tape.....i think
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

it should be pretty easy that way, just get the original spec for the real rims and measure the fake one and that's the best way to find out either way. if they did have a different offset avalible for the rim, could be a manufacturer **** up where they just sent the wrong rim

United States Marine Corp OIF/OEF 2009 - 2010 - Yellow 2003 Cobra: RAI, BBK mid headers, 2.81 pulley, BBK o/r X pipe, Borla Stinger Exhast, cross drilled and slotted front/rear rotors...next thing to come is color matched calipers. (still needs to be installed but it's waiting for me)
Old 02-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

how about this for ease......take a new and an old, put face down on the ground, place flat edge across both of them, measure from back of hub to flat edge, should be pretty easy to know the difference.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Rims are fine, had em checked out. Pointless now...emptied oil pan to find about a gallon or so mix of oil and radiator fluid. Took upper intake off to find a thrown/bent rod, busted rocker spring, and busted rocker. Can't wait to take the lower intake manifold off to come across what im sure is a blown valve (or two) and a shattered piston.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

holy **** man, sorry to hear about that, sucks hard core for that. hope you can get it fixed and back on the road as soon as possible. sorry to hear it though man, you have a sick ride btw

Old 02-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Bad things can somtimes bring new better things!

Unless you don't have the money, then they just cost you.

Hope it is the 1st.

Any pics?
Old 02-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

got the lower intake manifold off today (tedious as hell) new pics are in the gallery

Old 02-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspektrex View Post
got the lower intake manifold off today (tedious as hell) new pics are in the gallery
did u buy your car setup like that or did you build it yourself? if you built it can i bend your ear with a ton of questions? i wanna take everything outa my fox and stick it in a 99-03 v6 and make a cobra clone. using a 351 or 302...i got both motors.....
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #16
Titus Wadicus
Regular

i just saw your pics...nevermind....i ask super stupid questions sometimes..
Old 02-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Never a dumb question.

Good carnaige pics!
Does this mean upgrades?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

bought/beef'd...ask any question you want i'm sure i can help

Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

2:

Let it be known that today another member of the ford family has passed away.
please follow the link below for detailed images of the death of a 95' Cobra SVT:

Mustang Evolution - xspektrex's Album: Heads n Block

Due to loss of my job, car, and no backup money the car will not be fixed!
I Appreciate any and all help provided thus far from all members.

Happy Ford'n,

Harley Derrett

Old 02-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

sooo.... what're you going to do with the car?

Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

wow sucks man.
hope you find an answer
Old 02-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #22
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Roush View Post
sooo.... what're you going to do with the car?
i think he meant that he would be willing to accept some parts donations to help him get his car fixed. not necessarily saying we should try to take advantage of a cheap chassis. i could be wrong, maybe he does wanna sell it. i know when i needed help, ppl here helped me, not figure out wut i was doing wit my chassis. do to his situation, i think we could do better tryn to find him some parts so he can keep his car...at least i think that is the right thing to do in this situation. i apologize in advance if u just had a general curiosity, and i misunderstood your intentions with your question. regardless, i think we could try to at least find him a cheap bottom end so he could drive it. i got an explorer block but it's missing a piston. i got a set of .30 pistons, but he would have to get it punched and then shipped. maybe someone has a decent used bottom end so he could get to work, someone that lives close to him.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

i appreciate the accurate interpretation 'svtlx'. unfortunatley the block is shot along with the driver side GT40 head (valve got destroyed as shown in pics). I found an explorer engine with GT40P heads (complete engine fo 500.00 close to me). I noticed however that it does not have a dist. cap rather it has two coil packs. I'm not real sure how to drop this engine in my cobra body and make it work with my electrical

Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #24
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
i appreciate the accurate interpretation 'svtlx'. unfortunatley the block is shot along with the driver side GT40 head (valve got destroyed as shown in pics). I found an explorer engine with GT40P heads (complete engine fo 500.00 close to me). I noticed however that it does not have a dist. cap rather it has two coil packs. I'm not real sure how to drop this engine in my cobra body and make it work with my electrical
yank off the dis... there is a cam type sensor...where the distributor would go. yank it out and drop in your distributor. you will need to use your timing cover from your old motor. it may take you a minute to figure out the oil filter deal though. i trimmed off one of the filter cooler hoses to make it fit. i did not hook anything up to the cooler itself. i think you have enough room on an sn95 to hook it up correctly should u want to (like the explorer). ppl told me you can change to conventional oil filter outlet, but i cant remember y i couldnt get it to work. you may be a bit brighter than me and figure out a way to get it to work. as long as u got a filter on it is all that matters, wether the cooler is hooked up or not. ....... i just remembered, i ran into cooler hose/ swaybar clearance issues. i took the cooler off the block and trim off the hoses and put it back on the block. but that was on my 92 coupe, so your fitment may vary. either way it will work if your are resourceful enough...let the ford engineer inside you flow out..lmao!!! and of course, u will have to swap out the oil pan. also, use your old balancer, if i remember, the explorer balancer wont work once u change the timing cover, also, use your old water pump. basicaly u cant use anything on the front of it from the explorer. if u got both motors on the floor just swap everything over. dont let all that dis crap distract or discourage u. it's just a 302. watch the cam size you put in though. u got a lil less room to work with in the combustion chambers. i know ecams are fine if u stick with 1.6rr. let me know if anything i said makes no sense to you, or u got more questions. one more thing. the explorer intake looks very similar to your cobra... the explorer is better than the cobra...it is the revised version. granted, the cobra looks better, but you can talk to ford racing and they will tell you the same thing. is the explorer motor you wann pick up "egr" or "non-egr"? better yet, just use your cobra intake...u will have less questions to ask in the end...lol. let me know.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

well I know where there is a 351M engine just sitting in a garage, sure it's just a block and head and intake... it's carb though but it can be turned into a fuel inject. motor... i wasn't trying to get the car off of him or anything, no need to, but but i don't know what he wants to do with it.. he just never really specified.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

i found quite a few 302's in my area on craig's list. my issue was the originality of the snake. i got to thinking about it and the only thing that made that engine cobra was the cobra cam, rockers, heads, valve covers, and intake. all of which can be found again. matter of fact the cam was replaced with a B-Cam from crane so i'm probably gonna snag one of these 302's or and explorer 302; swap the cams, front side, dist. cap, etc...and get my snake back on the road where she belongs. N. Cage had Eleanor i got white fang. She will live again, just gotta find $500.00 bux

Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

if you want the engine i know of, let me know, it's a free engine, it's just chillin' in a garage

Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #28
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
i found quite a few 302's in my area on craig's list. my issue was the originality of the snake. i got to thinking about it and the only thing that made that engine cobra was the cobra cam, rockers, heads, valve covers, and intake. all of which can be found again. matter of fact the cam was replaced with a B-Cam from crane so i'm probably gonna snag one of these 302's or and explorer 302; swap the cams, front side, dist. cap, etc...and get my snake back on the road where she belongs. N. Cage had Eleanor i got white fang. She will live again, just gotta find $500.00 bux
depending on the miles, u may wanna go ahead and stick some main and rod bearings in it. even if you just throw some plain old autozone clevites in it (very cheap insurance policy:yup. just a rule of thumb, u may also wanna change out the cam bearings if u remove the cam. u could run into oil pressure problems if not, not necessarily problems, but lower than u might prefer for the way u drive it. you could put a high pressure pump in it if u wanted. cause u need a cam bearing installer tool to put in the bearing and they r kinda pricey, unless u know someone that has one. itsa mustang for gods' sake..not an r.v., so stay away from the b-cam. u will like an e cam better if u wanna stay with ford parts. not to mention, it should have u @ the 300hp mark (w/gt40p). the b-cam is very inefficient in comparison to other alphabet cams. actually it's the worst. but definatley consider a high pressure pump if u change the cam without putting in new cam bearings. also, the e-cam is more power adder friendly if u decide to upgrade at a later date. wut size injectors are u running? u can get some 24lbrs. from the junk yard off of 2k and up taurus, itsa a cheap upgrade when u r on a budget. that's of course if u r not already running them. worse comes to worse, just do the cam, timing chain, and oil pump and u should get some decent use out of it if it is a good motor to start with. you probably already know all of this stuff, its just my two cents cause i seem to always be on a budget long before this recession hit. sounds to me like u r really only in a position to swap out parts and drop in, just so u can get around.... and then start building it later as your finances allow...if it gets u where u need to go that's all that matters right now. noone knows if its 235 or 300 but u. your chassis is bad as fuk and itsa 5.0 so fuk'em!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

ummm...sounds like a good deal to me (free). ummm how much money would have to go into dropping it into my sn95 frontend? i just bought a T5Z and foxbell befo the engine went so i really dont wanna invest in another tranny. Secondly i probably wouldnt change it to fuel injected; most likely i would just yank the ecu and harness or close loop certain things and just hookup the usual stuff. gas, oil, speedometer, tach,...blah. ummm lemme know your thoughts and i would be more than happy to gain such and overlooked (for power) ford motor.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

hehe...the true letter of the cam is unknown at this time...however, i have narrowed it down to B or E. the first owner had dryshot nos blowing into the intake and didn't change the rockers, valves, or pistons but changed the cam!!!??? 2: so i know what kind of stupidity im dealing with. fortunately the engine is shot and the only salvageable components are the cam, upper intake, lower intake, valve covers, headers, oilpan, and all the front end goodies. block, heads, pistons, plugs, valves, gaskets, crank, block, etc... all fu@%! so basically move salvage parts from one motor to the next; lots of praying that previous engine owner had more intelligence than a rock; and a case of beer!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #31
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Roush View Post
if you want the engine i know of, let me know, it's a free engine, it's just chillin' in a garage
just so u know, id like to have your car...lol. pushrod power though, but that cobra of yours is sweeet! maybe i will spend 09 buying cobra plastic, kmember, and exhaust...then for 2010 i will buy a 99 or 00 v6 and make mine look as hot as yours
Old 02-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #32
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
hehe...the true letter of the cam is unknown at this time...however, i have narrowed it down to B or E. the first owner had dryshot nos blowing into the intake and didn't change the rockers, valves, or pistons but changed the cam!!!??? 2: so i know what kind of stupidity im dealing with. fortunately the engine is shot and the only salvageable components are the cam, upper intake, lower intake, valve covers, headers, oilpan, and all the front end goodies. block, heads, pistons, plugs, valves, gaskets, crank, block, etc... all fu@%! so basically move salvage parts from one motor to the next; lots of praying that previous engine owner had more intelligence than a rock; and a case of beer!
wut size shot was he running. the main problem with running juice on that combo is the heads... the compression is pretty high to run that sorta stuff without a btm box. its been done, but i leave high compression heads with power adders to the pros. im running 11psi of boost with no btm box or intercooler.... but im also running huge 69cc combustion chaambers too. i use considerably less fuel (26lbs. inject.)to make the power and make alot less heat, and i run 14degrees of advance on the timing without pinging. wut size injectors u got on that thing? u gotta run alot fuel to cool the cylinders when u run a power adder with a higher compression head. and u r also limited on your timing advance. sounds like the previous owner got greedy and weakend up some stuff for u.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #33
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
bought/beef'd...ask any question you want i'm sure i can help
so did they ever put aods in sn95's? or just aode's? besides for body cladding, are the 94-95 the same underneath as the 99-03? i got over a grand in my racing aod so id like to use it if possible. also, r the 99-03 v6 5speed trannies t-5s? and do i need to use the k member from a 95 to drop my 308 in a 99 v6 car...or could i use my fox body k member? wiring up the efi isnt a problem. but get'n the drivetrain in the car is a mystery to me. i really wanna use my aod, but if i cant, i would like to use a manual, and i dont know if a v6 manual would bolt up to a 302. i guesse u could say im performing a feasability study..lol. using a 99 v6 car, i assume my 7.5 trac-lok and gears would work also???? im currently running a 3.42. are the upper and lower trailing/control arms the same as fox body? i wanna swap over everything that will fit.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

well....as far as i know the cobra's came bored .40 ova with 24# injectors and the pistons quite frankly are huge and are not flatheads; they do have valve relief cuts (so to speak) the compression on the car is 10.0:1 from the factory. As far as timing advances i doubt highly the original owner even thought of that if he failed to change the heads, pistons, rockers, etc....I believe he was running a 15-25lb shot based on the gauging, tank size, and "markers" on the boost gauge. Not real sure but def. in that range making it extremely dangerous on a factory 302. I was stupid for not checking into all of it first but I needed a car the next day so i could make it to the job i still lost for the original tranny going bad.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up Re: Need some help guys/gals

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
so did they ever put aods in sn95's? or just aode's? besides for body cladding, are the 94-95 the same underneath as the 99-03? i got over a grand in my racing aod so id like to use it if possible. also, r the 99-03 v6 5speed trannies t-5s? and do i need to use the k member from a 95 to drop my 308 in a 99 v6 car...or could i use my fox body k member? wiring up the efi isnt a problem. but get'n the drivetrain in the car is a mystery to me. i really wanna use my aod, but if i cant, i would like to use a manual, and i dont know if a v6 manual would bolt up to a 302. i guesse u could say im performing a feasability study..lol. using a 99 v6 car, i assume my 7.5 trac-lok and gears would work also???? im currently running a 3.42. are the upper and lower trailing/control arms the same as fox body? i wanna swap over everything that will fit.

As I am new to the "Newer Mustang Styles" (crappy if u ask me...i hate modular) I would not be the best person to ask. My knowledge resides within the fox-bodies and sn95's. Any questions about those i can answer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT