young but determined - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
Re: young but determined

not hell bent on a mustang shortblock per say, If I was to get a whole new rotating assembly it wouldnt matter. If I was to use what Ialready have Id want to have the mustang shortblock for the good pistons compared to these pistons in the thunderbird motor that cant go past e7 stuff. The pistons in the bird motor are worse then the flat tops the 86's got.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #37
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane- View Post
not hell bent on a mustang shortblock per say, If I was to get a whole new rotating assembly it wouldnt matter. If I was to use what Ialready have Id want to have the mustang shortblock for the good pistons compared to these pistons in the thunderbird motor that cant go past e7 stuff. The pistons in the bird motor are worse then the flat tops the 86's got.
r u talkn bout the inverted flat tops? like the ones used on crown vics? perhaps i misunderstood. ive used crown vic bottom ends with the inverted flat tops a bunch. they are cheap..plentiful... usualy grandma owned..and in way better shape than a mustang shortblock that some 18yr old has been rap'n 6500-7000 on a daily basis till he wraps the car around a light pole.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #38
Road Trip!

Region: Other

well if someone was willing to trade (or buy mine) for a suitable intake, for that intake i have that would be great,a better intake that would make more power for the same price that i can sell or trade this one for would be fantastic, as for the springs i am goin to buy new ones because the ones that he had on it are for a solid lift cam and that is why the motor floated the valves and blow in the first place< i do realize that this car is not goin to be the biggest baddest pony on the road but im not looking for that right now, i am driving a 3/4 ton to work every day and it leaks about a quart of oil a month, i definalty need something a little better soon, even if it is carberated, i still might save some money and upgrade better later, as for the heads i need to know what the valves can handle as far as lift, i definatly dont need to blow this thing, hell mabey just a more stock cam will do, also i was told by a 30 year vetran motor tech that the rpm range of the intake wont matter as much since im running a stick shift.
even if i do take to the midnights and run a little just to have some fun it doesnt mean that it has to be super fast (RIGHT NOW). i just looking for a nice running good driving car that i will enjoy,
93_5.0_JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #39
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_5.0_JW View Post
well if someone was willing to trade (or buy mine) for a suitable intake, for that intake i have that would be great,a better intake that would make more power for the same price that i can sell or trade this one for would be fantastic, as for the springs i am goin to buy new ones because the ones that he had on it are for a solid lift cam and that is why the motor floated the valves and blow in the first place< i do realize that this car is not goin to be the biggest baddest pony on the road but im not looking for that right now, i am driving a 3/4 ton to work every day and it leaks about a quart of oil a month, i definalty need something a little better soon, even if it is carberated, i still might save some money and upgrade better later, as for the heads i need to know what the valves can handle as far as lift, i definatly dont need to blow this thing, hell mabey just a more stock cam will do, also i was told by a 30 year vetran motor tech that the rpm range of the intake wont matter as much since im running a stick shift.
even if i do take to the midnights and run a little just to have some fun it doesnt mean that it has to be super fast (RIGHT NOW). i just looking for a nice running good driving car that i will enjoy,
ahhh snap, i just noticed..lol. im from moore...glad to see another okee in here.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sugesting he may run up to 6500, just quoting what the range for that intake is.
Maybe they make a performer air gap.
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy

no offense, but your 30 year vet of motor building dont know ****. the rpm the motor makes power has nothing to do with the trans.

performer
performer rpm
airgap

as far as valves regarding lift. Id assume your talking about the valve springs. Then even with the E cam I would pickup a new TFS valve spring kit.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #42
Titus Wadicus
Regular

QUOTE=Bane-;556774]no offense, but your 30 year vet of motor building dont know ****. the rpm the motor makes power has nothing to do with the trans.

performer
performer rpm
airgap

as far as valves regarding lift. Id assume your talking about the valve springs. Then even with the E cam I would pickup a new TFS valve spring kit.[/QUOTE]

ty, cause i wasnt gonna say anything. we will just say his automotive knowledge varies from the rest of the world (re-30yr vet). i hope this guy doesnt teach anywhere....lmao :rofl:[
Old 03-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #43
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
ahhh snap, i just noticed..lol. im from moore...glad to see another okee in here.
thanks, to you the same,
Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #44
Road Trip!

as for the valve train, doesnt the lift on the valve top out at some point, eventually, does it matter on the piston to valve clearence or what, ( tfs valve spring kit to expensive)
Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #45
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
as for the valve train, doesnt the lift on the valve top out at some point, eventually, does it matter on the piston to valve clearence or what, ( tfs valve spring kit to expensive)
it doesnt matter what brand (spring) you get, itsa street car right? honestly, anything is better than stock..especially used stock which is really everyones point. whatever the max lift is on the cam you decide on... get a spring that is rated close to or slightly over your cams max lift. for example... my cam is .529 max lift.... my springs are rated @ .560 max lift.... i have enough spring left i can upgrade my cam later if i wanted to, and there is pretty slim chance i will wear them out and get valve float issues anytime soon. as far as your question... i dont think you are asking it right which is why you arent getting helpful answers. the lift on top of the valve??? that's not even a question. i think you just added some rocket science to a 2+2 question. im not tryn to be a smart ***, but i really dont understand what u r askn. btw, i think i paid 60-65 for my springs @ jegs they werent much at all. get some new locks/retainers, they might had been 15 bucks..but i think they were closer to 10. if you are building a street car, you dont have to have to most expensive **** in the catalogue. and by the time you start building a high horse power monster 500hp+ you wont be askn us questions anymore anyway...lol.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:34 AM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy

your wanting to switch cam and everything else but valve springs are to expensive? Whats cheaper the springs or a new motor?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
It's a common misconception that lift is the only thing that affects piston to valve clearance. In reality, the duration and LSA of the cam are what causes problems. By time the valve reaches max lift, it is well out of the way of the piston. The really critical time is when the valves are first opening and closing.

Regardless, you should ALWAYS check piston to valve clearance when making changes to your valvetrain to ensure that you aren't going to have any problems.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #48
Road Trip!

Quote:
your wanting to switch cam and everything else but valve springs are to expensive? Whats cheaper the springs or a new motor?
those particular springs are to expensive, can i go cheaper and still have a good spring is what i wanted to know, what other choices do you have,
Old 03-05-2009, 04:50 AM   #49
Legacy Member
Legacy

expensive? I guess, but it comes with everything though.

springs, valve stem seals, locks, retainers, shims, etc.

I put a set on my last car and worked wonderfully. Now I must save for my new motor combo to put together for this notch
Old 03-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #50
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
expensive? I guess, but it comes with everything though.

springs, valve stem seals, locks, retainers, shims, etc.

I put a set on my last car and worked wonderfully. Now I must save for my new motor combo to put together for this notch
ok, im dieng to know, how much is this kit?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #51
Legacy Member
Legacy

130 from summit.

to small for the combo im building but worked good on a ecam motor.

new combo is tfs tw heads, tfs stg 2 cam, air gap intake, 650 carb and maybe a lil kicker of n20 for ****s an giggles
Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #52
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
130 from summit.

new combo is tfs tw heads, tfs stg 2 cam, air gap intake, 650 carb and maybe a lil kicker of n20 for ****s an giggles
well i bought my .560 comp springs from jegs..$65.00 and then the retainers... mine wasnt as bad (coast as much) as yours, but it didnt come with the seals either like yours. i used the seals in my rebuild kit. i think item for item, yours was maybe $15-20.00 more than mine (w/tax). so in the big picture, no, $130 is not really expensive. i found some "Comp" .450 for $47.99 and some "crane" .560 for $49.99..... that's the cheapest i found. again, those were in the jegs cataloge. a year old cataloge i might add. besides for checkn ebay, i dont think he's gonna get much cheaper than that. jegs inventory changes periodicaly, so they might have something different now, but the prices are still comprable. and the steele retainers were 12.00 for 16ct.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #53
Road Trip!

Quote:
130 from summit.

sorry, apparently my reseach wasnt good enough, i did find the tfs kit for more than that in other places, next time ill look harder, i did not mean to sound like i didnt like those springs, my research wasnt thorough, but that kit from summit sounds great, it is a full set of 16 right? it just didnt specify, thanks bane,
Old 03-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #54
Road Trip!

allright everyone, Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51402000, or the Ford Racing M-6250-E303 cams, both from summit, seems like the tfs is better, and also a littler cheaper, what do you guys think, are tfs cams good quality parts, also the spring kits are cheaper for the tfs, can i save money with this cam and get a better quality part?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #55
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
allright everyone, Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51402000, or the Ford Racing M-6250-E303 cams, both from summit, seems like the tfs is better, and also a littler cheaper, what do you guys think, are tfs cams good quality parts, also the spring kits are cheaper for the tfs, can i save money with this cam and get a better quality part?
TFS all the way.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #56
Titus Wadicus
Regular

dats wasup!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #57
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
TFS all the way.
allright then ill go with the tfs parts, and call it a wrap, thanks to everyone
Old 03-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #58
Legacy Member
Legacy

reason I ordered that kit is because the gasket kit I had didnt have the valve stem seals. If I didnt need the seals I prally would of went a different route. But while ur in there might aswell replace them to.

and yes tfs all the way over the e303 cam.

trying to find my tfs cam and edel intake for sale used to keep costs down on my new build. but 1800 isnt to bad for HCI just need a few other parts after that and its showtime and I just put money down on a new handgun today at the local sports shop so gotta go pay that off first now lol.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Better pay of that pistol before they make them illegal.
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #60
Legacy Member
Legacy

I hear ya powerboat

I went ahead and got the paperwork already started so its legal as of now. now I have to wait like 6months or something stupid to get another dumb *** maryland

its a springfield 5" tactical xd45 bi-tone tried to get one ordered last year but pspringfield wasnt shippin any...when I seen one in the case I had to get it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT