young but determined - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Other
young but determined

First things first, what do i have? A 1993 gt with a 302 5.0 bored .03 over, wieand intake: 1500-7500 rpm range and 1.9" port. GT40 heads, i not sure if their big or small, trw forged aluminum pistons and a 650 holly. 373 positrac 8.5", aluminum driveshaft, T50d tranny, supposed to be rebuilt with stronger gears.

My first question is are all 302 5.0 motors, roller motors? If so can they be changed over to hydro flat tappet, how and how difficult?

Second, i dont have a clue what cam to buy, weather it will be hydro roller or hydro flat tappet, what size and why? I also dont have all the info on the trw pistons, here is the part number- #L3003F. i would like the car to have good street presence along with a good show at the track. if anyone can help it would be great.

thanks,
93_5.0_JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: young but determined

It sounds like your combo may be pretty mismatched already. First off, do you know what kind of heads the "GT40" heads actually are? There are several different versions: the old GT40 iron heads that came on the '93 Cobra, the GT40P iron heads that came on the Explorers, and the newer GT40X and GT40Y aluminum heads. Here's a flow chart showing how the different heads perform, along with some aftermarket heads:

The point is, none of the GT40 heads in stock form flow near enough to warrant a 1500-7000 RPM intake.

As far as the cam goes, why would you want to change from hydraulic roller? I'm not sure when Ford started using the hydraulic roller 5.0, but I know by '86 they were all rollers. There are older 302s that are not of course. Based on what has been done to your car, it's hard to say what's in there. The only way to know for sure will be to tear it apart.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Road Trip!

the previous owner built this motor and blew it, he said that he milkshaked the oil but the cam is gouged and the lifters look like they got turned sideways and banged off the cam.the motor is already disassembled, and fresh from the machine shop, (also has a new steel crank with it). the cam that was in it when the motor blow was a x303 cam from ford racing here's the part # and web site, it is hydro roller, oh and how do i tell what heads i have........?

Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-6250-X303*]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

There should be some type of casting number stamped on them somewhere. Once you find it, we should be able to look up what they are.

The X303 is a pretty wild cam for a 302/306. You would have to be seeing some serious RPMs to make power with that cam and intake. That cam/intake combo would be better suited for a 347 with higher flowing, larger port and valve heads (like the AFR 185s).

Scary stuff.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Road Trip!

casting number is F3ZE-AA, so with some research it looks like they are the older iron
GT-40 heads. Thanks for the flow chart, but I dont really no what i am looking at, do you think that i need a smaller intake?
OH and i forgot to mention that the valve springs are compsprings #984-16, installed height of 1.75", seat pressure of 105 lbs, open height and pressure 1.25" at 215lbs,
Old 02-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_5.0_JW View Post
casting number is F3ZE-AA, so with some research it looks like they are the older iron
GT-40 heads. Thanks for the flow chart, but I dont really no what i am looking at, do you think that i need a smaller intake?
OH and i forgot to mention that the valve springs are compsprings #984-16, installed height of 1.75", seat pressure of 105 lbs, open height and pressure 1.25" at 215lbs,
I would think so, yes. I'm not an expert on carb'd motors though, so I don't know which to recommend. If it was fuel injected, I'd say something like a GT40 intake, an Edelbrock Performer, or even just the Cobra intake would suffice.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

it's no different that an FI intake. you pick on that makes power in the RPM range that the rest of your motor.

the biggest problem most people have is mix matching parts. you need parts that work together. you build your motor around your cam. the way you choose your cam is by what you want your car to do. If it's a street car. you want to make power from idle-6000RPMs. If your gonna keep the heads you have. you get the flow rates for those heads and pick a cam that works for those flow rates. and so on.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Road Trip!

I will be keeping the heads, but since this will be the first motor build for me, i not sure how to use the flow chart. Im guessing that they are messured in cubic inches per sec, and how do i use it to find what cam i need
Old 02-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

you tell the company that you're getting the cam from what heads you have and what the car is used for and they will match you with the cam that's right for you.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Road Trip!

ill will let you know, thanks.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

no problem

Old 02-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

The other thing you may want to find out is if the heads have been ported. It wouldn't surprise me as ported GT40 heads are a very common occurrence. This will change your flow numbers a little. If this is the case, you may want to look into having your heads tested on a flow bench so you can get a better estimate. If you post up some good, high-res pics of the heads, we could probably tell if they are ported or not.

The only problem is that flow benches are kinda like dynos. You can't really compare results between two different flow benches. They are better used as a comparison with other heads tested on the same equipment. But, it will still give you a better idea of what you are working with.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
Road Trip!

I checked that when i cleaned the heads up and they are not ported, i cant give you any pics right now cause the heads are allready put back together.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Well guys i think that im goin to go with the e303 cam and lifter kit from ford racing, it seems to match what i want, let me know what you think
Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

You can do a lot better than the E303. That cam is ancient, has horrible ramp rates, doesn't have a split duration to help with exhaust scavenging, and has a pretty damn low LSA, which could lead to idle problems.

Why don't you check these guys out: http://www.flowtechinduction.com/.

Or even one of our site sponsors, here Anderson Ford Mercury Clinton Illinois Ford Mercury Dealership.

They should be able to help you find a cam that will better suit your needs.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

I would look at the AFM N-41. It is what I have planned for my build.

Also, a friend of mine built an 85 GT, and used an Edlebrock RPM air gap intake, that I think looked really good, and may better suit your combo.
JEGS High Performance - 350-7521
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Road Trip!

well i still think that the e303 fits what i need to get this thing on the road, i still have to take into consideration that i am on a budget and a 300 or 400 dollar cam is just out of the question, i still need to buy springs, alternator, and some brake calipers, not counting the little things that might happen on the way, i really thank all of you for your input,
Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Your welcome.
Post what you end up with, and how you like it.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #19
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_5.0_JW View Post
well i still think that the e303 fits what i need to get this thing on the road, i still have to take into consideration that i am on a budget and a 300 or 400 dollar cam is just out of the question, i still need to buy springs, alternator, and some brake calipers, not counting the little things that might happen on the way, i really thank all of you for your input,
an e303 is a good cam for a novice dude. bbunt is right...there are better cams. but for your purpose and budget..u should be fine. once u drive the car..listen to it, and understand it and its characteristics u will understand wut bbunt was geting at. for your first though... definatley go with a proven combonation till u figure out the way u wanna go. thats how newbies get fukd up..tryn to reinvent the wheel without known wut makes the wheel turn. u can always upgrade later when u have a better understanding of wuts goin on. u break less parts that way.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

what did you think about the rpm air gap intake?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #21
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerboat View Post
what did you think about the rpm air gap intake?
i will have to agree with everyone else.. the intake is way big for a street car. it's half race car..half street car, and wont run anything like it should. mismatched parts for sure. itsa good intake if he is drag racing, overall a good intake. but i think it is a bit large for a street car if that's what he wants to do with it. the power isnt gonna be in a usable range for a street car without loosing his license first tryn to find the powerband which he never will with the gt40 heads. just my opinion. very mismatched..and i think he will lose lotsa power.. and be very unhappy at the end of the day
Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-

sounds like your previous owner couldnt figure out fuel injection and slapped a carb on it aswell...IMHO the edelbrock performer idle-1500 or the performer rpm 1500-6500 would suit your needs just fine depending on port work, cam, etc. but if its just a gt40/e303 motor the regular performer should suffice.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #23
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane- View Post
sounds like your previous owner couldnt figure out fuel injection and slapped a carb on it aswell...IMHO the edelbrock performer idle-1500 or the performer rpm 1500-6500 would suit your needs just fine depending on port work, cam, etc. but if its just a gt40/e303 motor the regular performer should suffice.
the previous owner had the "bigger is better" mentality
Old 02-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
i will have to agree with everyone else.. the intake is way big for a street car. it's half race car..half street car, and wont run anything like it should. mismatched parts for sure. itsa good intake if he is drag racing, overall a good intake. but i think it is a bit large for a street car if that's what he wants to do with it. the power isnt gonna be in a usable range for a street car without loosing his license first tryn to find the powerband which he never will with the gt40 heads. just my opinion. very mismatched..and i think he will lose lotsa power.. and be very unhappy at the end of the day
I would call 1500-6500 good street rpm range myself.
Edelbrock 7521 - Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Manifold - JEGS

Plus I like the "air gap" looks.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

its not going to see 6500rpm with those parts and work right, sure the motor might spin up to there but its going to have had quit making power awhile ago.

regular ol performer from idle-5500 would do just fine on a stock 302. yea it has gt40's and a e cam, thats a stock motor as far as im concerned.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

With the stock valvetrain, you'll be floating the valves well before 6500 RPM if you do it on any sort of regular basis. Once may be enough.

There is no need for that much RPM with the GT-40 heads. They just do not flow enough to support it. You will just be putting extra stress on your motor for nothing. Higher RPM does not always equal more power. In fact, a lot of times it just means more trouble than anything.

That's also part of the reason the E303 is not a good match... but I digress.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #27
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
its not going to see 6500rpm with those parts and work right, sure the motor might spin up to there but its going to have had quit making power awhile ago.

regular ol performer from idle-5500 would do just fine on a stock 302. yea it has gt40's and a e cam, thats a stock motor as far as im concerned.
everybody has to start somewhere..... it better to start off small with a proven combo... then for him to get greedy wit gt40 heads and snap valves and punch holes in pistons. bbunt sent him a chart and he didnt know wut he was lookn at. i think we should give him a chance to catch up. stock is 225...hes moven up to approx 300. lets not rain on his parade just yet. especially those with less experience and smaller budgets. he can beat the **** outa it for a lil money.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #28
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerboat View Post
I would call 1500-6500 good street rpm range myself.
Edelbrock 7521 - Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Manifold - JEGS

Plus I like the "air gap" looks.
i guesse 6500 is a good range.... but he quoted 7500 for that intake. way too much rpm for those heads... and in all actuality. 5500 would have him where he would like to be for the parts he said he wants to use. so many ppl want high reving nascar motors for a street car. thats my general point here, and i think bbubts too, not too speak for him so to speak. but if he's on a budget, he can build on a budget... bigger is not always better. anyway, u r right... the air gap looks cool as hell. i got the bbk ssi for efi..alota the same principle as an airgap just for efi. wutever u do, dont drop a bolt in there. i struff shop rags between the ports so i dont have to relocate my wrist when fishing stuff outa there..lmao. likei said he quoted 7500 for the intake.. i havent dealt with carbs and carb intakes since my f-body gm days. so im not as familiar with the specs as i used to b.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
everybody has to start somewhere..... it better to start off small with a proven combo... then for him to get greedy wit gt40 heads and snap valves and punch holes in pistons. bbunt sent him a chart and he didnt know wut he was lookn at. i think we should give him a chance to catch up. stock is 225...hes moven up to approx 300. lets not rain on his parade just yet. especially those with less experience and smaller budgets. he can beat the **** outa it for a lil money.

I realize everyone has to start somewhere, just im just trying to say that 6500 is to high, the valves will be floating for atleast 800rpm or so by then

And I do feel ya on the starting somewhere, I have to start all over with the notch in my sig. I got a 88 thunderbird 5.0 on a stand for it. and a bunch of stock E7 parts to put on it. Im not going to use the intakes though and throw a carb on it for cleanliness and its not a daily driver. But the thunderbird pistons cant have anything bigger then the e7 stuff usually and you run into clearance issues. so I figured id stick just a stock HO in there and go from there when I can find a mustang shortblock with forged pistons with valve reliefs. But the complete thunderbird motor was free from a friend
Old 02-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #30
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
I realize everyone has to start somewhere, just im just trying to say that 6500 is to high, the valves will be floating for atleast 800rpm or so by then

And I do feel ya on the starting somewhere, I have to start all over with the notch in my sig. I got a 88 thunderbird 5.0 on a stand for it. and a bunch of stock E7 parts to put on it. Im not going to use the intakes though and throw a carb on it for cleanliness and its not a daily driver. But the thunderbird pistons cant have anything bigger then the e7 stuff usually and you run into clearance issues. so I figured id stick just a stock HO in there and go from there when I can find a mustang shortblock with forged pistons with valve reliefs. But the complete thunderbird motor was free from a friend
i will say this... no matter wut head u use (e7-gt40(p)), u have the change the valve springs.. anything over stock cam size is a necessity, not an option. you will get valve float outa a b cam, or just adding 1.7rr to a stock cam. and as far as your motor goes.. u can go as high as .529 lift with e7 heads and no valve reliefs (perhaps higher, but thats a factual number, cause ive done it). do you prefer carbs or something? im curious y u would get rid of your efi if your car is already wired for it.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

its wired for 4cyl efi not v8. I do like carbs though, looks alot cleaner and once tuned right can get it to run just as good and efficient.

.592 maybe, id have to clay it since its not the e6 flat tops but have big dish's in them.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:23 AM   #32
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
its wired for 4cyl efi not v8. I do like carbs though, looks alot cleaner and once tuned right can get it to run just as good and efficient.

.592 maybe, id have to clay it since its not the e6 flat tops but have big dish's in them.
im run'n ported e6 now "69cc heart shape", only cause i got a blower... for n/a combo their junk...put e7's (58cc) on if u got a choice (port them if u r on a budget, even if u dont change the valves). .544 is max lift u can go with e7 w/oem valve reliefs if u think u need the valve reliefs that bad u just need to buy some after market pistons, its that simple. i used both pistons, and if im not mistaken have the same compression rating. u just get a lil bit more margin for error if your timing chain gets sloppy or u wear out the bearings. but u willl see and feel "zero hp" difference between the two pistons with e7's. .544 u definatley wanna clay, cause you still have to account for lifters pumping up. you should check with ford racing though. but im pretty sure im giving u accurate figures on .544 with e7's...of course then, u really need those oem valve reliefs cause u r soo close. and the condition of your bearings is imparative... cause u have taken away most of your margin for error. there is only so big and so much u can do with oem parts. u can get up to 40hp from porting e7's if that helps u.. free hp. i hate to see you spend money on a bottom end that aint gonna do **** for u, u can take that money and buy some decent valve springs so your budget motor performs as it should and is reliable. trust me... i been where u r at not that long ago. i would encourage you to do alot of reading, there are alota of things u can do with oem components if u do it smart. and one last thing.... efi is always more efficient than carb... not saying the carb is bad and it wont perform, but thats y the manufactures went to efi... if they coulda made effiecient carbs they would still be on oem cars in 2009, not just a staple for nascar. not knok'n your carb.... i just felt the juvinile need to defend efi. my coupe was a 4 banger too.... and im sure u will build your carb car in half the time i built my efi car. except i will get awsome cold weather starts and better fuel economy. and u will spend a hell of alot less money building yours and be on the road sooner. pros and cons i guesse right?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Stock E7s are probably done around .510" lift anyway. I wish that graph I posted went past .500" lift in nice, small increments so we could see what I'm talking about.

Scary stuff.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Im not driving mine in cold weather...and it all depends on who tunes the carb. Friend of mine who is a machinest built a 383 stroker for his trans am, had it sitting for 3 months atleast and I meant him over his parents house to help swap it out to a cowl hood, mock up a roll cage and other misc things. After charging the battery it idled great WITHOUT a choke. yea it took a couple starts but it found its idle and stayed there once the battery took a charge enough to start it.

In other news, I replaced my starter, valve cover gasket, plugs, wires, cap, rotor on my lil 2.3l so shes purrin now for the most part. Going over today to change the oil and check the timing. So the 302 on the stand is going to sit there a lil longer. If I can find a good mustang shortblock I am going to snag it so I have the good relief pistons plus they are forged. If not Im waiting til next fall and ordering a 347 kit.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #35
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Im not driving mine in cold weather...and it all depends on who tunes the carb. Friend of mine who is a machinest built a 383 stroker for his trans am, had it sitting for 3 months atleast and I meant him over his parents house to help swap it out to a cowl hood, mock up a roll cage and other misc things. After charging the battery it idled great WITHOUT a choke. yea it took a couple starts but it found its idle and stayed there once the battery took a charge enough to start it.

In other news, I replaced my starter, valve cover gasket, plugs, wires, cap, rotor on my lil 2.3l so shes purrin now for the most part. Going over today to change the oil and check the timing. So the 302 on the stand is going to sit there a lil longer. If I can find a good mustang shortblock I am going to snag it so I have the good relief pistons plus they are forged. If not Im waiting til next fall and ordering a 347 kit.
i think u right...just save for the 347 kit and use the block u got. im not sure y u r so hell bent on a mustang short block, but its your time, money, and energy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT