Posting again painless wiring! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Posting again painless wiring!

Well i just got done talking to a painless wiring tech.
I told him i was doing a 93 mustang 4cyl. to carb. v8 swap.
Here's the kit he told me to use Painless Performance: 18 Circuit Universal / Streetrod Harness / Non GM Keyed Column. So what do you people think about this???? Am i looking to have some fun or what??!!:done:

:smoke: :evan:
KustomSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Posting again painless wiring!

Cool, that will save me from calling and asking the same question for my 81 project. lol

Let me know how much fun it is when you do it...or if I get mine done first I'll let you know. Although, mine's going from carbed 4 cyl to carbed big block 8 cyl.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

no problem man ill keep everyone posted on it. I'm looking at this ford crate engine its only a 302 w/400hp I really haven't made my mind up.. but best of luck with your project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

you can't go wrong with painless. they are the best around. they are very easy to install even if you have never done wiring

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
you can't go wrong with painless. they are the best around. they are very easy to install even if you have never done wiring
Oooo...ooooo...that's me!!!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I know.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
I can say that i really haven't worked on engines an wiring. I worked at a small restoration shop for 4 years.(Did mostly body work, sanded my *** off and sprayed primer!) I got some info an learned somethings just by being there an getting my hands dirty...

But i was reading their manual for the kit here it is http://www.painlessperformance.com/M...0501Manual.pdf. I know what their saying about the layout of the painless wiring harness an where wires go..

Here my thing though....
If your vehicle has an existing harness, you will want to retain it for the possible reuse of various Pigtails & Connector housings, particular to your application.

If you do not have an existing harness, there is a package of terminals included with the harness that will enable you to make most of the connections needed.Replacement lighting pigtails & sockets can be readily obtained from your local parts distributor

So is this saying i should try to take the mustang's whole wiring harness out in one peice or in sections??? An whats does this mean (various Pigtails & Connector housings)
Example > like the plug that goes to your power window motor, an then the list goes on an on!
An then i know im going to buy all types of other things, an could i maybe get help on a list of what i will need to buy.
I should probably buy a mustang book an read up on their stock wiring an know it runs. Any info please thanks an for my own look out i called it you can't burn me on these questions.... does that even work on this site!!!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

There's really two main harnesses on your car. One is referred to as the engine harness and is under the hood. The other is called the dash harness, and as the name implies, it's mostly under the dash. The two connect behind the passenger side kick panel (near where the EEC is).

The engine harness should be all you need. The dash harness just controls stuff like lights, A/C, turn signals, radio, power windows/doors, etc. The dash harness is also a freaking huge mess. It has TONS of wires. The engine harness is not bad at all. There really isn't all that much to it. Since you are going with a carb, yours will be even more simple than an EFI car.

I would recommend grabbing a Haynes manual since they have a pretty good wiring schematic in the back.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT