Electric Fan Controller - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Electric Fan Controller

So, it looks like my DCC fan controller has crapped out. My fan tries to run constantly, even with the ignition off. It was fine until the other day when I got out of the car and noticed the fan was still on. I have it wired to only run when the ignition is on. This is actually the second DCC fan controller I have gone through. This one I have only had since this past summer. They are supposedly the best on the market... but I am no longer convinced. Their 90-day warranty just doesn't cut it when their controllers fail so quickly.

So... I'm looking for a replacement. So far, it seems like this is the best option: JayCorp Technologies - SPAL Programmable Fan Controller - Version 3

It comes with a 18-month warranty, which is a big improvement over the 90 days. It is also a little cheaper and doesn't have the four week wait that the DCC controller has...

The only problem is I have a Taurus fan which I believe pulls up to 35 amps, where the SPAL controller is only rated to go up to 30. Has anyone tried using this with a Taurus fan? Does anyone know for sure how many amps the Taurus fan pulls?

I also would be using my Autometer water temp sensor as the temp sensor for the fan. The controller supposedly supports this. Has anyone tried this?

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Re: Electric Fan Controller

Well, I found out the Taurus fan pulls up to 40 amps continous power so the SPAL is out. In fact, most controllers are out because most only support 30 amps.

So... I ended up buying this guy: Flex-a-lite 33054 - Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Controllers - summitracing.com

Supports 40-45 amps, uses only 60% power when it initially kicks on, programmable to come on at a desired temperature and turn back off at another, comes with a radiator probe so I don't have to worry about splicing into my water temp gauge, and supports splicing into the A/C to always come on at least 60% when the A/C is on. Also comes with a 1 year warranty.

I'll let you guys know how it works out. Should be here mid week. You gotta love Summit.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Good info
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well, the Flex-A-Lite controller got here Wednesday and I'm going to try to find time to put it on tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

good luck man, of coarse if you have an aftermarket chip you can let the computer run the fan with a little bit of hacking..

the downside is that it only has one speed, the upside is that it uses coolant data right from the EEC program and it has built in hysterisis so that the fan doesn't cycle alot.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
good luck man, of coarse if you have an aftermarket chip you can let the computer run the fan with a little bit of hacking..

the downside is that it only has one speed, the upside is that it uses coolant data right from the EEC program and it has built in hysterisis so that the fan doesn't cycle alot.
Well, I got the controller installed today. Seems to work great and the install was very easy.

You're right about the fan cycling though. The only thing that bothers me about the controller is that after I cut the car off, the fan stays on. Which wouldn't be a big deal if it just stayed on for 30 seconds or so. Instead, it stays on for 15... Cuts off... Kicks back on again after another 15 seconds... And does this until the temperature eventually gets low enough.

Of course, this happens while the car is running as well when the temperature is right at the limit of where the fan should be on / off. But that doesn't bother me quite as much, although I'm sure it's harder on the fan motor.

I believe I can add an additional wire from the 12V ignition source that will keep the fan from coming on when the ignition is off. I've just got to call Flex-A-Lite to be sure I'm doing it correctly since their instructions are a little vague on the subject.

I would rather have this than the single speed though because the Taurus fan pulls so much power on start-up if it starts at 100%.

Scary stuff.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #7

Region: Pennsylvania

u ever figure that out?
xpunisher1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpunisher1x View Post
u ever figure that out?
Yeah, turns out my ignition wire wasn't actually just an ignition wire which was causing it to act a little funny. I found a new wire for the ignition wire (coming off the coolant level sensor I believe) and it works great now. I'd recommend it to anyone. My car hasn't seen above 195* since I put it on.

Of course, it's only been up to 85* outside so far this year... We'll see how it does this summer.

Scary stuff.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

awsome, im actually using a 3.8 fan on mine, but im doing a 3 core aluminum radiator, so it doesn't need the fan too often or as much fan....
im running a 75 amp tyco relay, however its not waterproof so I have to be careful when washing the engine bay, its rated 75 continuous so im thinking it can handle a 100ish amp preload that the fan produces.

I kept being told that the stroker would produce so much more heat... I don't know that thats true, though I do think it can get up in temps alot faster

good luck with the controller

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT