Please help my Foxbody - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
Region: New York
Please help my Foxbody

Hi, I have an 1982 mustang gt foxbody. it's a built 5.0 with a original rad 4 speed standard. Theres a part on the bottom of the shifter that connects the shifter to the shifting rod that keeps breaking and I've found nobody in the counrty has this part. Heres my question....I was told that any standard transmission out of a early 80's ford car (6 or4 cylinder) would fit as long as I swap the bell housings, is this true? Thanks for your help...I can't afford to upgrade, I'm looking to get a used one out of local junk yard

Derak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: Please help my Foxbody

What you really should do is upgrade to a T5, which I believe is what you are trying to say. You will indeed need the bellhousing. There may be other parts as well, but I'm not totally sure. The good thing is that T5s are everywhere.

It's also a good idea to go ahead upgrade some parts whether they are required or not: a 10.5" clutch, new throw out bearing, a double-hump crossmember off a later model Mustang, new clutch cable, adjustable quadrant, etc.

The other option is to put a Tremec 3550 in there, which uses the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the SROD. So even if you decide to go the cheaper route (T5), you should be able to get a decent chunk of change for your old SROD bellhousing since a lot of people use them for 3550 swaps.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: Please help my Foxbody

It's not going to be easy finding the part you are looking for on that transmission, people tend to upgrade rather than repair them.. For what its worth a friend upgraded to a t5 from the 4 speed like yours, and gained 2-3 tenths in the 1/4 mile..
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT