Brake and Spring How To's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > ME Site Help & Announcements

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Brake and Spring How To's

Ok, I am going to be replacing my rotors and pads on the car this weekend...and rear springs finally. Are there any write ups on the site for doing either of those tasks? I tried searching and didn't find anything, but I am dead tired right now and can't guaranty my abilities at this point.

If there aren't, I am going to take some pics and do one as I go this weekend.
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Re: Brake and Spring How To's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Ok, I am going to be replacing my rotors and pads on the car this weekend...and rear springs finally. Are there any write ups on the site for doing either of those tasks? I tried searching and didn't find anything, but I am dead tired right now and can't guaranty my abilities at this point.

If there aren't, I am going to take some pics and do one as I go this weekend.
I say go for it. There may be a spring install, I think one was written up when we all did Brent's, but I'm not sure. Brakes, I think there is a conversion writeup, but I don't think a replacing one has been done.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

You know...you're doing a lot of thinking over there...you might want to ease back...the room is going to get awfully cloudy soon if you keep it up.
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

There are no how to's for IRS spring installs. You can probably just set the driveshaft to bend downward and remove the lower control arm bolts to the tq boxes and the shock and use a jack to lowe the irs (tilt it forward and down) and the springs will come out.

The only issue you will see for the brakes are getting the rear caliper back on (you may also have to remove it to lower the IRS so you dont bind the brake line)

make SURE you tq the bolts on the calipers and IRS bolts removed back to stock specs (tightening good and tight ratchet doesnt count lol)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
There are no how to's for IRS spring installs. You can probably just set the driveshaft to bend downward and remove the lower control arm bolts to the tq boxes and the shock and use a jack to lowe the irs (tilt it forward and down) and the springs will come out.

The only issue you will see for the brakes are getting the rear caliper back on (you may also have to remove it to lower the IRS so you dont bind the brake line)

make SURE you tq the bolts on the calipers and IRS bolts removed back to stock specs (tightening good and tight ratchet doesnt count lol)
I can't drop my IRS because the wing that stops the IRS bolt's nut from turning sheered off...which is why my car was raked so bad at the meet. The nut and bolt just spin, no way to get on it without taking the entire IRS out of the car as the nut is inside a 3 sided boxed frame that is bolted to the cars frame. So, I can't just drop the LCA like everyone else...because it doesn't drop far enough. I could take that whole section apart, but I don't want to have to worry about the alignment issues afterwards...however, the writeup would discuss dropping the IRS.

The brakes I am not worried about as they function just like all other mustang brakes...will just do a write up with pics for them.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Here is another thought. Jack the car up using jackstands and on the frame, then use another jack to put as much weight on the wheel with said spring as possible. Then use a spring compressor tool into the spring to hold the compression of the spring. Let the wheel down and there should be enough clearance to allow the spring to come out. Now you'll have find a shop that has a spring compressor for coilovers and do pretty much the same thing with the spring that you are putting back in. Just use that tool to hold the spring compressed and insert it back into the slot on the car.

I know it's a PITA process, but that's the best info I can give you. Acctually I'm not even sure that you'll be able to use the spring compressor because of clearance issues under the car. But it's the best I can come up with.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Actually...since i don't have coil overs, it's not an issue. All I need is the compressor...will be getting one tomorrow when I go out and will be doing it that way. The spring is just out away from everything else, won't be any clearance issues at all with getting a standard compressor in there.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

I know you don't have coilovers. I was just saying that since you won't be able to compress the spring as much as the car did the spring that you removed, that you won't be able to put the new spring in without compressing it
Old 06-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
I know you don't have coilovers. I was just saying that since you won't be able to compress the spring as much as the car did the spring that you removed, that you won't be able to put the new spring in without compressing it
The new spring is actually shorter due to cutting stockers and will probably go in just fine...or might need a little convincing like the fronts did. It is just about an inch short of the current spring popping out...I just can't get enough leverage on it with the pry bar to get it out completely.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > ME Site Help & Announcements