My journey to the wedding...with a small prelude with the history of our 7-up... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
My journey to the wedding...with a small prelude with the history of our 7-up...

So yes, I got married a few weekends ago. What about it?

Well...there's a little story behind this. Ya see...I live about 3 and a half hours from where the wedding was taking place. This means I was gonna drive the 19 year old Mustang Tiff and I have painstakingly worked on for the past 8 months and leave in.

The issue is.......I've only made 2 good trips in this car and those were only so-so.

With that said, let's look at some pics of that morning, packing the car up and doing the last touch-ups.

Just chillin out in the driveway, you can see the cobra hiding in the garage and the Bronco sittin out front guarding everything.

The night before leaving I spent about 2 hours sanding the tail pipes back down with 500 grit sandpaper and repolishing up to a 2500 grit shine plus the master formula gloss polish and a good buff. Mirror shine FTW.

Little interior shot, this is what we have concentrated the most on since buying the car. Here's another shot...

For contrast...a picture of the interior when the car was bought in June:

As you can see, the seats were covered up because they were absolutely hideous, the old leather seat covers are being used for cushions on my garage floor now...about all they were good for. Carpet was ripped out, everything taken down to bare metal:

But... enough with the background, back to the original story.

So...like I was saying before, 3.5 hour drive in a 19 year old car with at least 140,000 miles...quite possibly more... on the original motor. Check the oil, check the tranny fluid, check the coolant (I just replaced the water pump last month). Go top off the fuel tank and hit the road.

O..did I mention I had 8 tuxes in the back seat...and decided to make this journey with the top down. The only way I could get the tuxes to not fly out was to put my bag of clothes and the toolbox out of the trunk and stack them on top. So..problem solved, no tuxes flying down the road.

I make it through the halfway point feeling good, wind in my hair, car doing well, just enjoying the drive. I make it about 20 miles outside of the last city before my destination and begin to notice a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I pass this off as a bumpy road (I haven't driven this road in a while) and just ignore it.

10 miles from this small town the vibration is beginning to get serious. I pull over and do a quick 1-over on the front suspension to make sure nothing is out of order. I continue to drive into town...at a much slower pace. I pull over in town and spend a few minutes checking lug nuts and rechecking the front end, everything looks normal...so I continue on...at an even slower speed.

I make it to the exit I need (15 minutes from my destination) and the vibration comes to an absurd rowing of the steering wheel and then a complete loss of steering. So...I coast the car the best I can to the shoulder and try to comprehend what might have happened. When I step out of the car I see this:

So ok... a flat tire, just pop the trunk and throw the spare on... I can figure out the rest once I get into town.

Here's a picture of the entire contents of my trunk:

What you are looking at here my friends is a piece of trunk carpeting, a box of cleaning supplies, two quarts of 10w30 oil, a bottle of power steering fluid, a california duster, a random metal support piece from the trunk that fell out, a lug wrench, a timing light, assorted interior trim pieces.......and a spare tire.

Now..the spare tire would have been a welcome sight if it had a very important element inside.......air. What I have sitting there is a piece of rubber on a piece of metal. Both of which do me no good.

So...as I ponder this flat spare I decide to go ahead and loosen the lug nuts. Once getting all 4 loose I get ready to jack the car up...only one problem....there was not a jack in the trunk. Just great.

So, I'm sitting on the side of a road at the intersection of two major highways, 15 miles from any cities or form of civilization (this is Mississippi remember?). Meanwhile...I'm beginning to run behind on my schedule and people begin to ask where I am and inquire as to when I will make it to the rehearsal.

I politely informed my fiance' at the time it was going to be about 2 hours making it these last 15 miles...which apparently put her in a panic.

But..back to the tire. Here's a better picture of the damage:

I end up calling a friend that works 20 minutes from where I was, he gets off work and drives over to lend a hand...he brought a good spare tire, a pair of channel locks, and the smallest jack he could find (he's a mechanic at a caterpillar dealership.......).

We end up having to pick up the side of the car by hand and kick the jack under the side of the car in order to clear the sides:

At this point I figure we're in the clear finally...only to find out this jack lacks 1 inch of height in raising the car to get the spare tire on. We lower the car back down and attempt to jack at another point to no avail.

By this point I know Tiffeny was freaking out, I end up calling my dad who had just made it into town and he brings me the scissor jack out of the Taurus which finally did the trick...

The spare I borrowed was awesome, here's a shot of my options.

O yes...and I forgot to mention the friend that came and saved me happened to be in his 93 cobra that day...if he would have been in his lightning or another car he wouldn't have had a spare for me. Big thanks go out to Aaron for his help:

So...that was my journey getting to the wedding. If you want cliff notes go read something else.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: My journey to the wedding...with a small prelude with the history of our 7-up...

sounds like you had a little road side fun.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Aidan_04
Re: My journey to the wedding...with a small prelude with the history of our 7-up...

BUT!!!!

He made it!

We's married now *****es.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Aidan_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

well it would have been too easy to go along as planned for the road trip lol. congrats guys.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

When you tell GOD your plans " He Just Laughs "
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well, if you would have just taken the clues, you wouldn't have gotten married....
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you shouldnt ignore signs like that
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Aidan_04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Aidan_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

wow.. I take the jump June 20th.. we are driving away in 1) a Firetruck 2) My dads 04 GT or 3) a really good friends 99 GT supercharged mustang. I wont know witch one for another week or so but if its one of the mustangs My truck will be pulling it on a trailer to the church hahaha Congrats once more!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers Stang View Post
wow.. I take the jump June 20th.. we are driving away in 1) a Firetruck 2) My dads 04 GT or 3) a really good friends 99 GT supercharged mustang. I wont know witch one for another week or so but if its one of the mustangs My truck will be pulling it on a trailer to the church hahaha Congrats once more!
Take the FireTruck!! (and hose everybody down on the way out!)
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #11

lol wow that's one crazy trip to get to your own wedding!

and i second the firetruck
Racing Mustang Accessories
Custom Car Parts
Chaz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos