Jimmy's Fiberglass Thread (1st time) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Jimmy's Fiberglass Thread (1st time)

So I've decided to try to fiberglass a drainage pan for my hood. This is my first time working with fiberglass, so I thought I would take some pictures of the process.

I started by removing the hood, and cleaning up the louver openings more since it needs to be repainted anyway.
Next, I made a mold out of foam board, reinforced by some Gorilla tape.
This was test fit to the hood:

Then, the fiberglassing started.
Wax Paper as release agent on the mold.

And it dried/set:

Released from the mold:

Trimmed:

And test fit to the hood:

It does have some slight issues... I need to sand it and such. I also am planning on using fiberglass blanket around the edges to really help seal it to the hood. Let me know what you guys think. So far, those pictures represent 12 hours from starting of mold making to trim.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Jimmy's Fiberglass Thread (1st time)

moral of the story is don't open up the vents on the hood of a car with a 2V motor

Just kidding Brian. It looks great. You did an awesome job for your first time using fiberglass. Gonna look really good finish sanded and painted.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

im just curious, does your design still allow heat to be extracted? or does it just drain water away from your engine?

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
moral of the story is don't open up the vents on the hood of a car with a 2V motor

Just kidding Brian. It looks great. You did an awesome job for your first time using fiberglass. Gonna look really good finish sanded and painted.
yeah, I didn't know that when I started. I'm kinda sad because I know what would've made it even better. 1) doing it during the day light... 2) making sure the blanket is overlapping both sides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
im just curious, does your design still allow heat to be extracted? or does it just drain water away from your engine?
I'm not sure. My #1 priority is just protecting the engine. I don't see why some heat wouldn't escape.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 07-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

so all the air flow is now no more as the drainage pan takes up all the air flow potential?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
so all the air flow is now no more as the drainage pan takes up all the air flow potential?
we'll have to see if it still flows or not once it's done. If it doesn't... oh well.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

So the screen is mostly attached. I still want to put some fiberglass resin on the screen. And then I get to fiberglass the pan on. I just figured I would update this thread.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

looks good for a first attempt to solve a problem...but I have (3) general questions about it though...
(1) How are you attaching the pan/holding it in place?
(2) Where is it draining to, down out the front of the hood over the radiator?
(3) Is the bottom/collection area of the pan going to be parallel to the ground? It may just be the angle of some of the pictures, but if so, how will the water drain if there is no slope to? The water will just collect & go nowhere...

Isn't it funny how a solution to one problem always causes multiple problems somewhere else?
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
looks good for a first attempt to solve a problem...but I have (3) general questions about it though...
(1) How are you attaching the pan/holding it in place?
(2) Where is it draining to, down out the front of the hood over the radiator?
(3) Is the bottom/collection area of the pan going to be parallel to the ground? It may just be the angle of some of the pictures, but if so, how will the water drain if there is no slope to? The water will just collect & go nowhere...

Isn't it funny how a solution to one problem always causes multiple problems somewhere else?
1) it will be fiberglassed to the hood.
2) It will drain hopefully between the radiator and the belt... there is a huge space there
3) It slopes downward toward the front of the car. Plus, the front is the only open area, so it'll have to drain there.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

I just like seeing people doing there own work you feel alot more pride in the work you have done and your car thats why i'm installing my own posi/373 gears
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Re: Jimmy's Hood Thread *FINISHED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
So I've decided to try to fiberglass a drainage pan for my hood. This is my first time working with fiberglass, so I thought I would take some pictures of the process.

I started by removing the hood, and cleaning up the louver openings more since it needs to be repainted anyway.
Next, I made a mold out of foam board, reinforced by some Gorilla tape.
This was test fit to the hood:

Then, the fiberglassing started.
Wax Paper as release agent on the mold.

And it dried/set:

Released from the mold:

Trimmed:

And test fit to the hood:

It does have some slight issues... I need to sand it and such. I also am planning on using fiberglass blanket around the edges to really help seal it to the hood. Let me know what you guys think. So far, those pictures represent 12 hours from starting of mold making to trim.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm uploading pics now

Old 07-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Old 07-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Looks Great how is it working ???
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007STANG View Post
Looks Great how is it working ???
it works perfectly. The water drains way up front by the radiator

Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

it's worth noting... the hood still functions perfectly. My buddy bought it from me when I got the Termi hood. He has no complaints.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos