Whipple Cobra's are awesome - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Whipple Cobra's are awesome

Look how hard this ***** launches with like 19's or something. I wish my car could takeoff like this.

Video - Byron Dragstrip 11-12-06. Whippled 2003 Cobra vs GT500 w/ gears and tune.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: Whipple Cobra's are awesome

The video of the GT500 that runs a 9.96 (with the stock blower) on the same page is even better.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Sweet vids

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

GT500's are stupid, gay, pos. I don't care if it will run 8's with just a pull swap.

Cobra > GT500.

Infact every other car made > GT500
Old 12-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

wow that was pretty damn badass
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
GT500's are stupid, gay, pos. I don't care if it will run 8's with just a pull swap.

Cobra > GT500.

Sure.

Scary stuff.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

its amazing what nitrous can do when youre shoving that much heat into the mix. not only is it a second power adder, it cools the airflow that spinning the eaton that fast cooks up.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Rocket 442

Quote:

Cobra > GT500.

I hope that was sarcasm

I'm not a huge fan of the GT500's, but they're nice cars, I just don't like the looks of them. Can't really harrass the car about its performance
Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads & ARP Bolt Kit | Mondello JM 22-25-10 Cam - 274/280 .512/.523 | Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Full Roller Rockers | Trickflow Chromemoly 3/8" Pushrods | Edelbrock Modified Performer Intake | Pypes 2.5" X-Pipe | Dougs Ceramic Headers
Rocket 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:48 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket 442 View Post
I hope that was sarcasm
no, thats not sarcasm. not many mustang owners like them. The evolution of all things performance usually try to make things lighter and faster, not heavier and slower. theres a handful of guys on this board that bend over backwards for them, why is beyond me.

only thing the GT500 has going for it is the 5.4L in a production stang. Hopefully this trend will continue to the redesign and the 5.4l will be available in the base GT, or at least a n/a version of it in a production car that doesnt have a 40k markup.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:54 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
theres a handful of guys on this board that bend over backwards for them, why is beyond me.
Because we don't enjoy people that think their **** don't stink and refuse to believe anything in the world is better than theirs?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:08 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Rocket 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
only thing the GT500 has going for it is the 5.4L in a production stang. Hopefully this trend will continue to the redesign and the 5.4l will be available in the base GT, or at least a n/a version of it in a production car that doesnt have a 40k markup.
Ohhh, so basically you want ford to do what GM did with the Z06 :thumbs2:

I haven't looked at its weight and racetimes, but the engine doesnt seem all that bad.
Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads & ARP Bolt Kit | Mondello JM 22-25-10 Cam - 274/280 .512/.523 | Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Full Roller Rockers | Trickflow Chromemoly 3/8" Pushrods | Edelbrock Modified Performer Intake | Pypes 2.5" X-Pipe | Dougs Ceramic Headers
Rocket 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:24 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'd get one if they were actually in the 40 thousands rather than the dealerships wanting 80 for it

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket 442 View Post
Ohhh, so basically you want ford to do what GM did with the Z06 :thumbs2:

I haven't looked at its weight and racetimes, but the engine doesnt seem all that bad.
Exactly. GM has a much better mindset of what a performance car should be, but I still would never buy a GM product.(except maybe a new Z06 if I was rich)

No I was not being Sarcastic. I have never meet a F-body owner that had anything good to say about a GTO, they always say that their too big and they don't look good. I went and test drove a new GTO and was very impressed with it, but it doesn't really matter to me because I'm not a GM fan. Maybe something simular with you and a GT500

The car is more of a grand touror than anything else. It needs to compete more with Corvettes, and 911's than Jaguars, AMG's, and Austin Martins. 3900+lbs, 58/42, and a solid rearend is not a good place to start when your trying to make a sports car, espectially when you have a brand new platform to work with.(I like solid rearends just fine, but not on a car this big) The Chinaman who designed the new Mustang has this, "I'm going to make the car really refined and have it ride like it German or something" mentality. I don't like Mustangs because their so smooth running and comfortable on a bumpy road. Alot of people think that New Edge and/or Cobra owners are jealious of the car, and thats not true. I'm not jealious of the car at all. I know it woop my cars ***, I know its the fastest factory Mustang ever made, I know that mod for mod it will beat a 03/04 Cobra, but I don't care. I don't like the car because it could/should have been better than what it is. Until Ford drops at least 300lb, with every bit of it being off the front end, gives it a decent stance, makes it into a real sports car, and doesn't over advice their **** for 2 years, I will not like this car. Also it wouldn't bother me nearly as bad if Ford would have just put some effort into making it lighter and more balanced. They could have easily retooled and given the Ford GT's block a wet oil sump, and aparently that would have saved over(yes over) 100lbs off the front end. Then they could have maybe gotten rid of the power seats, side airbags, and stuff like that, I imagen the could save another 100lbs or so with stuff like that. To me the car is cheaply engineered, I think they spent their money working around problems, instead of fixing them.

People read carefully again what I just wrote, this is the mindset of the people who don't like the car.
Quote:
Alot of people think that New Edge and/or Cobra owners are jealious of the car, and thats not true. I'm not jealious of the car at all. I know it woop my cars ***, I know its the fastest factory Mustang ever made, I know that mod for mod it will beat a 03/04 Cobra, but I don't care. I don't like the car because it could/should have been better than what it is. Until Ford drops at least 300lb, with every bit of it being off the front end, gives it a decent stance, makes it into a real sports car, and doesn't over advice their **** for 2 years, I will not like this car. Also it wouldn't bother me nearly as bad if Ford would have just put some effort into making it lighter and more balanced.
And people I hope ya'll hate me, but this really is a touchy subject for me, and it gets me pretty fustrated. I think as much as ya'll like the car I hate it twice as much. I was so bent on this car being an amazing, cheap, sport car with asperation of possiably owning one one day that is was a huge let down to me. I don't think this car will ever be able to compete with modded Vettes, 911's, Evo's or cars in that catagory, in any form of racing that requires alot of braking, and turning. But yes it does handle pretty good for what it is, and running 9's with anything in a street car is pretty damn impressive, but especially with a stock block and blower. But I still do not like the car. :dunno:

Now can we talk about how bad *** that Cobra was, that think looked like it ran a 10 sec ET on street tires, and I really like watching it launch. I need to quit BSing and get one.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
The car is more of a grand touror than anything else.
Holy ****. I think you may be on to something. Maybe that's why they call it the GT500...

People forget what the original GT500 was. It was big, heavy Mustang with a ridiculous engine. The new GT500 is true to that. If you want a light weight little corner carver, wait on the new Boss. Because that's what the Boss is.

Quote:
It needs to compete more with Corvettes, and 911's than Jaguars, AMG's, and Austin Martins.
Why? Everyone already is complaining about the price and now you want it to try to compete with some cars that go for well over 100k?

Quote:
3900+lbs, 58/42, and a solid rearend is not a good place to start when your trying to make a sports car, espectially when you have a brand new platform to work with.
It's a good thing Ford was making a muscle car instead of a sports car then. Otherwise, you're right. They would have failed miserably.

Quote:
Until Ford drops at least 300lb, with every bit of it being off the front end, gives it a decent stance, makes it into a real sports car, and doesn't over advice their **** for 2 years, I will not like this car.
And how do you recommend they drop 300 lbs off the front end? Go to an all aluminum alloy frame? Get rid of the big engine and throw in a turbo four?

You are forgetting what a Mustang is. A Mustang is NOT, I repeat NOT, I repeat NOT a sports car. The fact is, the Mustang has to be able to sit four passengers at least somewhat comfortably, pack in a huge V8 and stout transmission, rear end and suspension, meet all the latest and most overly anal government safety requirements, and try to do this all at a decent weight.

Let's look at the fact's here. Over the years the safety requirements have gotten worse and worse. To make a car safer, what do you do? You add metal. Metal is heavy. Then look at the line of engines currently in use (my biggest problem with Ford right now BTW). They are freakin' huge. 3V and 4V heads that probably weigh as much as an old pushrod block.

Then with a car like the GT500, you have to have the huge engine with the blower and yada yada yada. Then a big heavy 6-speed to back it up.

So why can other "sports cars" keep their weight down when the Mustang can't?

Because, the Mustang isn't a sports car. No, it tries to be able to fit four adults in it fairly comfortably. It tries to have a little bit of trunk space and plenty of room for your head and feet. It has to. Because the majority of Mustang owners are not round track racers. They are not drag racers. They are not drifters. They are normal, every day people who get in these cars every day and drive them around America. And they want to be comfortable and safe.

Ford could easily stop catering to these people. I'm sure that's what you would like. But 5 years down the road, the Mustang would end up in the exact same boat that the Firebird, Camaro and Trans Am did. Dead. That's why no one wanted those cars.

Quote:
And people I hope ya'll hate me, but this really is a touchy subject for me, and it gets me pretty fustrated. I think as much as ya'll like the car I hate it twice as much.
Unfortunately, I'm not going to hate you for your opinions, especially when they are voiced over an Internet forum.

I'm really not a big fan of the car either, I just get tired of seeing people bash it constantly. It's not that bad of a car when you take it for what it is.

Quote:
I was so bent on this car being an amazing, cheap, sport car with asperation of possiably owning one one day that is was a huge let down to me. I don't think this car will ever be able to compete with modded Vettes, 911's, Evo's or cars in that catagory, in any form of racing that requires alot of braking, and turning. But yes it does handle pretty good for what it is, and running 9's with anything in a street car is pretty damn impressive, but especially with a stock block and blower. But I still do not like the car. :dunno:
It sounds like what we have here is the classic case of overly high expectations. I understand that you wish the car is better than it is. I'm sure all Ford fans do. But at the same time, we have to face reality. The Mustangs will probably never be as great as they once were again. It's really not Ford's fault either. It's just the way things work.

In today's day and age, the only way Ford could make the Mustang the way it should be would mean a HUGE drop in sales. For every enthusiast who would snatch them up, there would be 5 casual drivers who would no longer even consider the car.

Quote:
I need to quit BSing and get one.
Yes, yes you do.

Scary stuff.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

My only grip as I know ford cut as many corners on it as they possibly could. They didnt produce a product that lived up to the hype, the styling is simply blah. I know the mustang is NOT a sports car (aka the vette is but its much easier to make it lighter as its a two seater smaller car) but they could do something more with it. When the mustang started going over 3300lbs it started to get to heavy... but they kept adding **** to it and features and crap and thats just what happens... the bottom line is ford doesnt care... they just want profit. They KNEW the GT500 would sell as it is so thats all they did, as little as they had to do. Maybe they will get on the same band wagon as GM did for the Z06 and make something simply badass... but I HIGHLY DOUBT IT. This started back in 94 and has kept on keeping on. If I was in charge I would have made the GT500 lighter regardless of price in crease, what true mustang lover would not have paid 3-6k more for a much lighter better looking car???? I know I would in a second.

Over all I rate the GT500 a 6 out of 10 simply because they didnt do their homework designing a real car, they just did as little as they had to do in order to turn a profit. For the average Joe its probably more close to a 7-8.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

vent much?
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
And people I hope ya'll hate me, but this really is a touchy subject for me, and it gets me pretty fustrated. I think as much as ya'll like the car I hate it twice as much.
I am right there with you...which is why I stay out of these conversations. I drove one...don't like it when compared to my cobra...and took a beating when I said it felt slow. Will it grow on me? no, it is too plain looking just like all the 05+'s...just doesn't look aggressive to me.

In the end, I will keep sitting back waiting for one to actually have the balls to press the gas pedal next to me...
Old 12-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
I am right there with you...which is why I stay out of these conversations. I drove one...don't like it when compared to my cobra...and took a beating when I said it felt slow. Will it grow on me? no, it is too plain looking just like all the 05+'s...just doesn't look aggressive to me.

In the end, I will keep sitting back waiting for one to actually have the balls to press the gas pedal next to me...
:approve:
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Holy ****. I think you may be on to something. Maybe that's why they call it the GT500...

People forget what the original GT500 was. It was big, heavy Mustang with a ridiculous engine. The new GT500 is true to that. If you want a light weight little corner carver, wait on the new Boss. Because that's what the Boss is.

Why? Everyone already is complaining about the price and now you want it to try to compete with some cars that go for well over 100k?

It's a good thing Ford was making a muscle car instead of a sports car then. Otherwise, you're right. They would have failed miserably.

And how do you recommend they drop 300 lbs off the front end? Go to an all aluminum alloy frame? Get rid of the big engine and throw in a turbo four?

You are forgetting what a Mustang is. A Mustang is NOT, I repeat NOT, I repeat NOT a sports car. The fact is, the Mustang has to be able to sit four passengers at least somewhat comfortably, pack in a huge V8 and stout transmission, rear end and suspension, meet all the latest and most overly anal government safety requirements, and try to do this all at a decent weight.

Let's look at the fact's here. Over the years the safety requirements have gotten worse and worse. To make a car safer, what do you do? You add metal. Metal is heavy. Then look at the line of engines currently in use (my biggest problem with Ford right now BTW). They are freakin' huge. 3V and 4V heads that probably weigh as much as an old pushrod block.

Then with a car like the GT500, you have to have the huge engine with the blower and yada yada yada. Then a big heavy 6-speed to back it up.

So why can other "sports cars" keep their weight down when the Mustang can't?

Because, the Mustang isn't a sports car. No, it tries to be able to fit four adults in it fairly comfortably. It tries to have a little bit of trunk space and plenty of room for your head and feet. It has to. Because the majority of Mustang owners are not round track racers. They are not drag racers. They are not drifters. They are normal, every day people who get in these cars every day and drive them around America. And they want to be comfortable and safe.

Ford could easily stop catering to these people. I'm sure that's what you would like. But 5 years down the road, the Mustang would end up in the exact same boat that the Firebird, Camaro and Trans Am did. Dead. That's why no one wanted those cars.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to hate you for your opinions, especially when they are voiced over an Internet forum.

I'm really not a big fan of the car either, I just get tired of seeing people bash it constantly. It's not that bad of a car when you take it for what it is.

It sounds like what we have here is the classic case of overly high expectations. I understand that you wish the car is better than it is. I'm sure all Ford fans do. But at the same time, we have to face reality. The Mustangs will probably never be as great as they once were again. It's really not Ford's fault either. It's just the way things work.

In today's day and age, the only way Ford could make the Mustang the way it should be would mean a HUGE drop in sales. For every enthusiast who would snatch them up, there would be 5 casual drivers who would no longer even consider the car.

Yes, yes you do.
You make very good points bbunt and I agree with most of them, but Ford was touting this car to beat anything near its price. They were also saying that they were going to consintrate on making this a very good handling car. I now that its a pretty badass car, but Ford could've, made it a much better before it left the factory, and they should of after they hyped it so much.

Also I agree why you about me having too high of expectations for the car, and it would have been hard for it to ever live up to them.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

:dunno: Is anybody even watching the video.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Quote:
You make very good points bbunt and I agree with most of them, but Ford was touting this car to beat anything near its price. They were also saying that they were going to consintrate on making this a very good handling car. I now that its a pretty badass car, but Ford could've, made it a much better before it left the factory, and they should of after they hyped it so much.

Also I agree why you about me having too high of expectations for the car, and it would have been hard for it to ever live up to them.
Ford uses Hype to sell cars and Hype definatly sold a good many GT500s for very high prices, they say many things but in the end you have to expect the car not to live up to what fords "goals" were. Ford wanted to do a good bit (the designers) but once the bean counters got in there they probably forced them to not do some of the things they wanted to do, they had to come to an agreement. The first design im sure was much better, probably had an aluminum block, and many other things. They were forced to change this and that to keep the cost down~ and thus you get a cocktail of some of what the designers wanted and a good bit of what the bean counters wanted~

Ford has been behind in performance of other companies for a good many years, I didnt expect the GT500 to be any different. The Mustang (all of them) do what they were designed to do, sell and make ford money. They are a good bang for the buck for american muscle.. what other options do you have??? thats not triple or at least double the price? It may leave a good many things undone that we wished for... but thats part of the reason the Mustang is not super expensive.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Over all I rate the GT500 a 6 out of 10 simply because they didnt do their homework designing a real car, they just did as little as they had to do in order to turn a profit. For the average Joe its probably more close to a 7-8.
exactly

To average people with average cars, its an awesome machine cause its so much higher than theyre used to. To cobra or more powerful car owners, its just decent cause its not a step up.

Example. Drive a 03/04 Cobra or the equavilent everyday and drive a GT500, and you will be dissapointed cause youre used to the Cobra/Equavilent. Drive a GT or anything else and then a GT500 and yeah, its gonna be like "Holy **** this thing is ****ing awesome" cause you have nothing to compare it too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos