Deadly Street Race Caught On Camera - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Deadly Street Race Caught On Camera

Drag Race Turns Deadly; 2 Killed - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
Re: Deadly Street Race Caught On Camera

holy crap, so not only someone died from the racing, but someone else was killed when they got shot after the race because of the first person that got killed....2:

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

A spectator was killed by the crashing cars. One of the drivers was killed by the other driver. There's a big thread over on HSVRacing.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

Gesh...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

mm... I will keep my comments to myself on this one.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

darwin?

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

street racing "gangs"...

that F&F bull**** really exists?

wow... ****in retards.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
street racing "gangs"...

wow... ****in retards.

Yeah....didn't you know it was a documentary?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

its a shame its a bunch of mustangs that did this, our fox bodies are gonna be even higher targets on the street now for cops...
Old 01-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
Regular

Region: Tennessee

At least this time the dumbasses killed themselves instead of innocent people

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
street racing "gangs"...

wow... ****in retards.
"i nevah narked on nowbody!"

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Yeah....didn't you know it was a documentary?
It was the most moving documentary of our time!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Men killed in drag race accident and shooting identified
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
CAROL ROBINSON
News staff writer

A Huntsville man gunned down shortly after a fatal crash during an illegal street race Sunday in the Pratt community may have been in charge of the race purse or betting money - possibly as much as $20,000 - when he was slain, police said.

A dispute over money may have led to the shooting of Anthony Lett, 36, said Birmingham police Sgt. Cory Hardiman. But he declined to confirm that Lett may have been holding the race purse.

By Monday afternoon, one of the race drivers was in police custody and being held in the city jail. No formal charges had been filed.

Hardiman said that man, from the Tennessee Valley, isn't believed to be the driver that crashed into the pedestrian. Investigators are still trying to locate that driver, Hardiman said.

Hardiman said they were able to find the driver in custody with help from other law enforcement agencies. The driver then voluntarily came in to talk with police, he said.

The driver who struck the pedestrian is believed to live out of state.

The accident happened about 4 p.m. on Republic Circle, a dead-end street in Republic Industrial Park off Avenue W, an area commonly used for such races, authorities said. Racers previously used First Avenue South downtown and then Lakeshore Drive.

Lonnie King, 29, from the Pratt area, was struck by one of two cars after it lost control, careened sideways, crashed into a light pole and then King. King was videotaping the race, but police said they have not recovered his footage.

King was pronounced dead at the scene. Hardiman said there were several stories about what happened, including the widespread account from witnesses that Lett was shot after he wanted to take King to the hospital. "That's not the case," Hardiman said. "A dispute started after the accident and it was during the dispute the victim was shot and killed. ... It's related, but we don't have any evidence there was a dispute over taking anyone to the hospital."

At least two videos of the accident were posted on the Internet site YouTube. One had been viewed at least 64,000 times by 6 p.m. Monday. Hardiman said police have duplicates of the YouTube video, but were still trying to obtain the original late Monday afternoon.

Hardiman said there were hundreds of people at the race, many of whom police believe videotaped the event. Some witnesses had come forward, he said, but not many.

"This is a real good example of people going on about their business when they could come forward with information," he said.

King's family and friends gathered at his home Monday afternoon but declined to comment.

King, widely known as "Bik Lonnie" in Birmingham's hip-hop scene, was known for producing CDs and DVDs of local rappers and street happenings, said Lerome Holcombe, owner of Eighth Avenue Records and Tape in Smithfield.

Holcombe said King wasn't considered part of the drag racing scene. "He just followed the street vibe," Holcombe said. "A lot of people are sad about his death, because he was a good guy."

Lett's widow, Amy, said she knew few details about her husband's slaying, but said she was told he was shot twice in the chest and once in the back.
Lett said her husband does race, usually at drag strips in Huntsville and Selma, but wasn't racing on Sunday. "Yesterday was different," she said. "Yesterday was a street race."

Lett, a manager for a government contracting company, left home Sunday about 11 a.m. "I knew for a few days he was going down there," she said.
She said a friend of her husband called her shortly after the shooting. "They kept saying he was shot, but he was going to be OK," she said. "Of course, I was worried, but I wasn't hysterical until later. I'm still in a state of shock."
Amy Lett said she had not been able to get the full story from those with her husband.

"So many of them that were with him said they had already left when it happened," she said. "The story has just gotten so crazy."

I like turtles.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Damn !! That's some crazy **** !!!!

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

"This is a real good example of people going on about their business when they could come forward with information," he said. "

Isn't it florida where you can lose your license just for being a spectator? I would come forward with information, but that detail there would make me really wary of it
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

I don't believe that we have that law, here in AL. I really don't think that they would prosecute any spectators that come forward with information in this case, anyway. They've got bigger fish to fry.

I like turtles.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
"This is a real good example of people going on about their business when they could come forward with information," he said. "

Isn't it florida where you can lose your license just for being a spectator? I would come forward with information, but that detail there would make me really wary of it

Found the law as written

316.191. Racing on Highways

(1) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Conviction" means a determination of guilt that is the result of a plea or trial, regardless of whether adjudication is withheld.

(b) "Drag race" means the operation of two or more motor vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more motor vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such motor vehicle or motor vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(c) "Racing" means the use of one or more motor vehicles in an attempt to out-gain or outdistance another motor vehicle, to prevent another motor vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another motor vehicle or motor vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.

(2)(a) A person may not:

1. Drive any motor vehicle, including any motorcycle, in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, or exhibition of speed or acceleration or for the purpose of making a speed record on any highway, roadway, or parking lot;

2. In any manner participate in, coordinate, facilitate, or collect moneys at any location for any such race, competition, contest, test, or exhibition;

3. Knowingly ride as a passenger in any such race, competition, contest, test, or exhibition; or

4. Purposefully cause the movement of traffic to slow or stop for any such race, competition, contest, test, or exhibition.

Any person who violates any provision of this paragraph commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. Any person who violates any provision of this paragraph shall pay a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $1,000, and the department shall revoke the driver license of a person so convicted for 1 year. A hearing may be requested pursuant to s. 322.271.

(b) Any person who violates paragraph (a) within 5 years after the date of a prior violation that resulted in a conviction for a violation of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, and shall pay a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $1,000. The department shall also revoke the driver license of that person for 2 years. A hearing may be requested pursuant to s. 322.271.

(c) In any case charging a violation of paragraph (a), the court shall be provided a copy of the driving record of the person charged and may obtain any records from any other source to determine if one or more prior convictions of the person for violation of paragraph (a) have occurred within 5 years prior to the charged offense.

(3) Whenever a law enforcement officer determines that a person was engaged in a drag race or race, as described in subsection (1), the officer may immediately arrest and take such person into custody. The court may enter an order of impoundment or immobilization as a condition of incarceration or probation. Within 7 business days after the date the court issues the order of impoundment or immobilization, the clerk of the court must send notice by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the registered owner of the motor vehicle, if the registered owner is a person other than the defendant, and to each person of record claiming a lien against the motor vehicle.

(a) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the impounding agency shall release a motor vehicle under the conditions provided in s. 316.193(6)(e), (f), (g), and (h), if the owner or agent presents a valid driver license at the time of pickup of the motor vehicle.

(b) All costs and fees for the impoundment or immobilization, including the cost of notification, must be paid by the owner of the motor vehicle or, if the motor vehicle is leased or rented, by the person leasing or renting the motor vehicle, unless the impoundment or immobilization order is dismissed. All provisions of s. 713.78 shall apply.

(c) Any motor vehicle used in violation of subsection (2) may be impounded for a period of 10 business days if a law enforcement officer has arrested and taken a person into custody pursuant to this subsection and the person being arrested is the registered owner or co-owner of the motor vehicle. If the arresting officer finds that the criteria of this paragraph are met, the officer may immediately impound the motor vehicle. The law enforcement officer shall notify the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles of any impoundment for violation of this subsection in accordance with procedures established by the department. The provisions of paragraphs (a) and (b) shall be applicable to such impoundment.

(4) Any motor vehicle used in violation of subsection (2) by any person within 5 years after the date of a prior conviction of that person for a violation under subsection (2) may be seized and forfeited as provided by the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act. This subsection shall only be applicable if the owner of the motor vehicle is the person charged with violation of subsection (2).

(5) This section does not apply to licensed or duly authorized racetracks, drag strips, or other designated areas set aside by proper authorities for such purposes.

Amended by Laws 1999, c. 99-248, § 138, eff. June 8, 1999; Laws 2002, c. 2002-251, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2002; Laws 2005, c. 2005-226, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2005.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #18
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Guy I work with knew the guy that was shot, saw him race a few times at the dragway up here... Stupid senseless crap.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

al.com: Everything Alabama

Two men, one from north Alabama and one from Florida, face manslaughter charges in Sunday's fatal wreck and death of a Birmingham man following an illegal street race in Pratt City.

Investigators continued Tuesday to search for another person who shot and killed a Huntsville man in a separate incident at the race.

Birmingham homicide Sgt. Cory Hardiman said Brian English Murphy, 27, of Elkmont, and Yardley Potter, 32, of Florida, were the drivers of the two Ford Mustangs involved in the street race. Both are charged with manslaughter and with leaving the scene of an accident.

Murphy was arrested Monday. He was in the Jefferson County Jail on Tuesday night without bond being set. Potter was awaiting extradition from Florida, said Hardiman.

Hardiman said it was Potter's car which careened out of control on Republic Circle, a dead-end street in Republic Industrial Park off Avenue W, and struck 29-year-old Lonnie King, who was videotaping the event.

Hardiman said progress is being made in finding the person who shot Anthony Lett, 36. His shooting followed a dispute over the race purse - possibly as much as $20,000. Investigators have declined to confirm whether Lett was holding the race purse when he was slain.

I like turtles.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

geez

so stupid

the video is no longer available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

Here it is

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #22
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

^ thats not the good one
Old 01-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yeah, there's another one shot further down the "track".

I like turtles.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:27 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Thats bad.

JROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos